Quantcast

Campers

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
As my friend mark told me years ago the first time I ever went to one :
”Rideit, don’t EVER buy anything here that you don’t consider a consumable. That differentiation is up to you. But regardless of the item or its price, this is the truth”.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
As my friend mark told me years ago the first time I ever went to one :
”Rideit, don’t EVER buy anything here that you don’t consider a consumable. That differentiation is up to you. But regardless of the item or its price, this is the truth”.
To give them credit they have gotten much better over the last 5 years with new lines and upgraded vendors for manufactures, Certain welders, compressors, and brushless tools have been solid, been using the winches for years and flogging them with no issues. The Icon brand of hand tools are legit. But in the long run, I would say 75% of the store is flea market quality at best. Considering I dont have a box store such as home depot/lowes of the sort anywhere near me it has proven to be useful for me as of late.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Agreed, this was said to me maybe in ‘99.
That said, I too have plenty of ‘durable’ products from there that have lasted decades, albeit most only used as a hobbyist.

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Anything from Harbor Freight is only a crude simulacrum of what it is described as.
I have a Predator 3500 watt and 2000 watt generator that have run flawlessly for years. The comparable Honda is 3.5X the cost.
When my name brand crapsman floor jack took a shit after 6-7 years I bought a Daytona floor jack from Harbour Freight, it is working like new a few years later.
For occasional to moderate use I think their stuff is just fine and an excellent value.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I have a Predator 3500 watt and 2000 watt generator that have run flawlessly for years. The comparable Honda is 3.5X the cost.
When my name brand crapsman floor jack took a shit after 6-7 years I bought a Daytona floor jack from Harbour Freight, it is working like new a few years later.
For occasional to moderate use I think their stuff is just fine and an excellent value.
yeah the predator line of engines is actually surprisingly good. Ive used them from surface drive boat motors, pumps, winches and even skidsteer replacement powerplants and have been pleasantly pleased

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have some sanding left on Frita and will be prepping her for our first trip in May. I need to install my capacity monitor, too.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my former co-worker with the SRW 3500 and big ol' 5th wheel is going on quite the extended road trip

434406356_10102176829582898_4787538573976136562_n.jpg

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Prediction: They don't care about gas money and they have *way* more fun having all their toys with them and sleeping in their own bed than they would by stuffing too much crap into a small car (and still not having everything they want) and paying for the privilege to stay in a series of shitty hotels. :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Prediction: They don't care about gas money and they have *way* more fun having all their toys with them and sleeping in their own bed than they would by stuffing too much crap into a small car (and still not having everything they want) and paying for the privilege to stay in a series of shitty hotels. :D
I suppose this is an outside possibility. :D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Got my battery monitor installed correctly the second time. It took a while, but now it's showing 100%. It was at 11% originally and I was starting to worry my batteries were toast. If I can get another year out of them, I will be happy.

PXL_20240417_000557550.jpg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Pop-up campers...whose had one? The wife wants to take the wee one camping, and the pop-up appeals for a multitude of reasons.
Of the tow behind variety? I can ask Hirsch how much he likes his as I've no first hand experience.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
y Tim no RTT on the gigantor 3500?
I'm not sold on RTTs. Plus they're a gigantor pain in the balls to take on and off, and I refuse to be that douche hauling around a RTT to use it 6x per year.

If anything, if be tempted by a GFC or similar. But $20K for a glorified truck cap isn't in the cards.

Pop-up is nice cause I can just unhitch and be on my way. No taking it down every day if I wanna move.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I'm not sold on RTTs. Plus they're a gigantor pain in the balls to take on and off, and I refuse to be that douche hauling around a RTT to use it 6x per year.

If anything, if be tempted by a GFC or similar. But $20K for a glorified truck cap isn't in the cards.

Pop-up is nice cause I can just unhitch and be on my way. No taking it down every day if I wanna move.
Have you looked into small teardrop ?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This is one disadvantage of Frita unless the wife follows in her car. Then we have a runner for stuff. I can fold up the stairs and drive into town ok, but it's not ideal. She likes riding with the dogs in the truck, so it's a trade off.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR

I think the usefulness of an RTT depends on how you camp. Campground or serviced campsites are really not where the RTT shines. Teardrop or just a gigantic hunting tent would be cooler. A folded up yurt would fit nicely in the back of your brodozer.

I actually really like our “cheapo” CVT. Super comfy, easy to use, low maintenance and does great offroad.

Also, having a forklift makes it easy for us to mount / unmount. You should just buy a RTT and a forklift. Problem solved & you’re welcome.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I think the usefulness of an RTT depends on how you camp. Campground or serviced campsites are really not where the RTT shines. Teardrop or just a gigantic hunting tent would be cooler. A folded up yurt would fit nicely in the back of your brodozer.

I actually really like our “cheapo” CVT. Super comfy, easy to use, low maintenance and does great offroad.

Also, having a forklift makes it easy for us to mount / unmount. You should just buy a RTT and a forklift. Problem solved & you’re welcome.
We'd be staying at camp sites of some kind. There's practically nothing in the way of dispersed camping in the northeast. All of the fun overland setups would be a waste. Still doesn't stop me from lusting for FWC or GFC, but I don't know how long my daughter would be okay sleeping in the same bed as mom and dad.

Big ass tent + cots might be the way.

Instead of the forklift, I should just convince my wife we'd be better served building a 30' x 40' shop that I can drive the truck into to offload the RTT. She'd definitely be supportive of that. :nope:

We'd be staying at camp sites of some kind. There's practically nothing in the way of dispersed camping in the northeast. All of the fun overland setups would be a waste. Still doesn't stop me from lusting for FWC or GFC, but I don't know how long my daughter would be okay sleeping in the same bed as mom and dad.

Big ass tent + cots might be the way.

Instead of the forklift, I should just convince my wife we'd be better served building a 30' x 40' shop that I can drive the truck into to offload the RTT. She'd definitely be supportive of that. :nope:
If you're staying at campsites, a small trailer, not a pop-up, no slides, would be the thing. They're all a PITA to maintain, and are constructed shoddily, but if you keep after them, they work. With any sort of trailer, including pop-ups, don't underestimate the hours you will need to expend on maintenance and upkeep.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
If you're staying at campsites, a small trailer, not a pop-up, no slides, would be the thing. They're all a PITA to maintain, and are constructed shoddily, but if you keep after them, they work. With any sort of trailer, including pop-ups, don't underestimate the hours you will need to expend on maintenance and upkeep.
Unfortunately, I am all too familiar with the shitastic construction of mass produced RVs, as I've had the misfortune of rebuilding two of them. Nothing like having to pull and reseal the vent fan in the parking lot of a Canadian Tire.

I was halfway into building my own at one point but ran out of time and had to sell before it could come to fruition.