Quantcast

Campers

The RP-171 has landed. It really seems never to have been used. It towed placidly and I managed to back it in without (well, almost) mishap. I'm now going through it with a fine toothed comb, removed the bike rack and the TV, need to put in a 30 Ampere outlet to feed it electrons, test all the appliances, and read about three inches of manuals.

Going through the trailer system by system, verifying (or not) that things work.

Put water in fresh water tank, verified that water pump works; holy sulfur smell, Batman! Need to dose fresh water tank with bleach,

CO, Propane, and smoke detectors are now working.

Next: Propane systems, starting with hot water.

Documentation is, ah, chaotic.

Got Vermont plate today, need to get one who protects and serves to verify VIN and need to get trailer inspected. Got up on roof today, checked A/C, found that spoiler wants some caulking, now need to figure out what sort of caulk. crawled under, found one spot that wanted waterproofing, and did so. Finally got the gas range going, next would be hot water, but I'm going to finish tank flushing prior to firing that up.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
. Got up on roof today, checked A/C, found that spoiler wants some caulking, now need to figure out what sort of caulk. crawled under, found one spot that wanted waterproofing, and did so. Finally got the gas range going, next would be hot water, but I'm going to finish tank flushing prior to firing that up.
Lap Sealant, do not use silicone. For horizontal surfaces use self leveling Dicor for vetical sufaces use non self leveling dicor. It stays pliable in heat and cold and does not shrink and pull away from surfaces like silicone does as it ages.

I guess there is a reason it's cheaper.
If you bought new you'd still run into this stuff. Camping trailers are like a car you built in your back yard - small production runs, glued together from all kinds of random shit selected to minimally do a job at the least weight. What you gain if you buy new is the right to argue with a dealership about what's covered by warranty during the first couple of years. When repairs and maintenance become necessary, I'd as soon fuck it up myself.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Did I already mention that I built a canopy for my camper to keep the sun off it? Well I did and it was worth it. Keeps the rain off too but that's not as big a deal where I live. The sun though, that fucks shit up. Makes my sealant and caulking last longer. So if you can build it its own house you can then spend more time in the bong shed and less time on future maintenance.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
If you bought new you'd still run into this stuff. Camping trailers are like a car you built in your back yard - small production runs, glued together from all kinds of random shit selected to minimally do a job at the least weight. What you gain if you buy new is the right to argue with a dealership about what's covered by warranty during the first couple of years. When repairs and maintenance become necessary, I'd as soon fuck it up myself.
Oh - so it's a lot like new houses. :D

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If your fridge has a little freezer in it. Do not leave Grape Popsicles in it before you shut it off. The Super Ants that will take up residence will only be discovered at your next vacation. The fruit fly's from the Bananas you forgot in the cupboards are almost impossible to get rid of.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I try not to go camping when it's hot enough to need an ac. If it's that hit its too hot to enjoy the great outdoors in my opinion. So I've never used it in over two years. Same with the microwave, I don't have one at home and so I don't need one when I'm camping. It holds my key and wallet and toothbrush though. Hey how do you know the toothbrush was invented in Alabama? Anywhere else and it be called a teethbrush.