Quantcast

Campers

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Ok, I thought the 5k was overkill. The 2k seems like it would be good. I might go with 2 batteries.

The fridge, water heater and heater are the only 110v going in now. AC will be added and a small projector and laptop are the only accessories. The fridge and heater are the main concern.
You should look into 12v appliances and propane for heating (Propex). Your 110v stuff is going to eat up your batts like crazy! Inverters are not efficients animals.

Check the Victron line of products for solar charging and monitoring.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
You should look into 12v appliances and propane for heating (Propex). Your 110v stuff is going to eat up your batts like crazy! Inverters are not efficients animals.

Check the Victron line of products for solar charging and monitoring.
^^ what he said

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
My camper has a 3way fridge it can run on 12V DC from the truck while driving, Propane while boondocking and 110ac if hookups are available. furnace is propane, as is the water heater. I have 2 group 31 AGM batteries, 200 watts of solar, two 20 pound propane bottles and a Honda 2000 generator to run my AC if I need it ( AC is a polar Cub 9200 it needs 1300 watts to start the compressor then 9200 watts to keep running)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ok, construction questions.

2x2 @ 16" house style? I have been told there is an RV scrap yard in Medford, so I am going to look at cost of build vs retrofit. If it's cheaper to gut an existing kitchen, it could be pretty easy to put this together.

All set to check this beast out Saturday. I am a little concerned that it might actually be too big. Might be a negotiable point.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Also, it seems more cost effective to run 2x 6v 200Ah vs 1 12v 200Ah. About $100 more for twice the storage and a little easier to manage.

The fridge is 65w and the heater is about 100w. The 2k inverter with 400Ah and 300w of solar should support us for 4 days if we don't fill the 31 gallon black tank. :panic:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Also, it seems more cost effective to run 2x 6v 200Ah vs 1 12v 200Ah. About $100 more for twice the storage and a little easier to manage.

The fridge is 65w and the heater is about 100w. The 2k inverter with 400Ah and 300w of solar should support us for 4 days if we don't fill the 31 gallon black tank. :panic:
2x 6v 200Ah and 1 12v 200Ah, you get 200Ah at 12v either way.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I am an idiot. :rofl: While a little more, I think it might be a better option as it isn't as huge as the 12v 200Ah.
There are plus and minuses with using 2x6v instead of 1x12v; Advantage of 6v is for layout and weight, 12v on the other hand requires less connections and one chance less of battery going bad. My 220Ah 12V is a hefty 138lbs. Is your fridge 12v?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There are plus and minuses with using 2x6v instead of 1x12v; Advantage of 6v is for layout and weight, 12v on the other hand requires less connections and one chance less of battery going bad. My 220Ah 12V is a hefty 138lbs. Is your fridge 12v?
No, fridge is 110 rated at 65w. Unless I am looking at the wrong places, I haven't seen a 12v fridge for less than a grand. I could get 4 200Ah batteries for that. :rofl:

It's a 3.1 cu ft 2 door under counter height for $180. My whole kitchen is less than a grand.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The 12v 200Ah I am looking at is114.60 Lbs. I like the idea of only adding a second battery vs adding a second pair if we find 200Ah isn't enough.

I finally (for now) settled on a 1250w constant 3000w peak inverter that has a 30a auto switch for shore/generator power. It's a little more money, but the included switch makes it nice.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Don't forget in your calculations that you shouldn't run your AGM batteries down to below 50% of capacity if you want them to last a while.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Don't forget in your calculations that you shouldn't run your AGM batteries down to below 50% of capacity if you want them to last a while.
That's one reason I want the high speed monitor and auto switch for the generator.

While I don't like the idea of the generator kicking on in the middle of the night, I plan to deaden the box and it is supposed to only be 52db.

I opted for the 300w solar using mono tiles. I can fit 4 panels on the roof no problem, but 3 across the back should do nicely.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Word to the wise, get a hypervent pad for beneath your mattress. We didn’t have time to pick some up before we left and are paying for it now; definite must-have for those with a truck camper.

This is what the bottom of our mattress looked like after 4 months.

Needless to say, we have a new mattress and hypervent on the way.

Word to the wise, get a hypervent pad for beneath your mattress. We didn’t have time to pick some up before we left and are paying for it now; definite must-have for those with a truck camper.

This is what the bottom of our mattress looked like after 4 months.

Needless to say, we have a new mattress and hypervent on the way.
Yeah, Hypervent's pricey, but it works.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
We may have a winner. There is one with a near perfect body, but a slightly leaky 4bt. Calling a diesel shop on Monday to quote a new pump and injectors and see what a health check will run. If it's less than a grand, he said he would cover the injectors and I get the truck for $3200 + pump and labor.

I am excited and am going to my drawing board.

He also has a 40' toy hauler that was wrecked I might take some windows off of for free. There is a 7' slide out, but that might be too ambitious :rofl:

I think that I have managed to decode output on the COMMS serial stream from my Dometic SZLCD thermostat sufficient to control the return air fan I installed last year, Starting to write and test code for an Arduino Genuino UNO to drive a Grove 2-coil latching relay module so as to turn the fan on when there's a call for heat, then off two minutes after the call stops.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I think that I have managed to decode output on the COMMS serial stream from my Dometic SZLCD thermostat sufficient to control the return air fan I installed last year, Starting to write and test code for an Arduino Genuino UNO to drive a Grove 2-coil latching relay module so as to turn the fan on when there's a call for heat, then off two minutes after the call stops.
:nerd:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Actually, the step van is still for sale and I have an app in with the bank. The wife says if we get the step van now, then I get my Moto without bitching. I'll take it! See what the bank says first, I guess.
i want to put one of these on a chevy express van awd chassis...

and camperfy it.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i want to put one of these on a chevy express van awd chassis...

and camperfy it.
There are a couple I thought about. I need more space, looking at 14-16 foot boxes. Ideal is the long wheelbase short rear.

I have learned a lot in the week of looking. Not all interiors are the same height. A truck in Eugene was perfect, only it was 6' inside and being 6'4" makes it uncomfortable. :rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The hunt continues, the pickings are slim and I am being picky.

I found a layout I like and just need to find a rig and put real numbers down.

StepVanDone.jpg

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
How are those vans on the highway? Speed, noise, comfort, smell?
When I drove tow truck, we had an account with UPS and I got to drive about 2 dozen or so as far as an hour on the freeway. Stock they are pretty bad because they are stripped bare and loud as hell.

I will be doing full cabin interior as well as insulation and proper flooring. While not aero and a bit sketch in winds, they aren't bad. Like an oversized version of my '72 VW bus.

I know the 4BT was governed at 60mph.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I remember @dw saying the Evil bread truck was awful to drive and very noisy compared to a Sprinter, but that they chose it because it was cheap.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The step van as a whole is very minimalist for good reason. I will be adding a lot of deadening material along with a ton of silicone preventing rattles.

The Sprinter in even it's most basic form comes with all the "normal" vehicle equipment like functoal windows and doors with padding.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
After not hearing anything, I got a call that homeboy swapped the fuel injectors and wanted to know if I was still interested in it.

Going for a test drive tomorrow and if all goes well, I will drive that pig home Saturday.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Pretty solid layout. But, no inside storage? You might consider reversing it raising the bed so you have room to store bikes and other stuff underneath. That could be sealed off from the main living area, giving you a garage back there. You can always add a rack but for security it's good to keep stuff inside, and having dirty bikes and gear in the living space gets old quick. Also, as it is, your rear doors will be fairly useless. (That said, in the right parking spot you'll have the ability to poop and shower with a view, so there is that.)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The Murphy bed allows for bikes. I was going to do it toy hauler style, but I like cab access and still have the room.

The side door is at the foot of the bed

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
wait: you bitched about low interior height at 6'4" personage and yet you would settle for a 74" bed? I'm on;y 6' and I find that the 80" long queen in my camper is a Tight fit for sleeping
The bed stats are from the trailer floorplan I stole, not to scale. The bed is a full queen, I hope it will fit long way, otherwise I will side mount it and have a HUGE couch.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Using the Create-A-Bed kit, it is either 67" projected (horizontal mount) or 87" (vertical). If I have the height/width vertical, then it is nicer to get in and out of (if the end of the bed is clear).

Going for a test drive after work, I will also get some hard measurements. If I get it, I'll pick it up Saturday.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So I bought it. Runs like a champ, but does need a few things. Tires will be the biggest thing, all new brakes are cheap.

I bought a '10 Cadillac DTS seat, if the wife likes it, I will get the passenger seat, too. I put these seats in my '66 and loved them. $105 for the drivers, $90 for the passenger. 42k miles, tan, heated and cooled. :rofl: