bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It's these guys. Large amounts of disposable income, no kids yet.

Ahhhh... rich dummies.

What ya gonna do, amirite?? :D

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Cleaned the food out of the camper fridge. Took the camper off the truck to get the windshield on the truck replaced. Ran a sprinkler under the truck to wash off the road salt. Next step wash the camper linens and scrub the road crud off the camper. Bringing the horse trailer to the house on Sunday to wash it down from the trip.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i wish i could get behind the platform in the back of a SUV..... but....the lack of headroom sitting up kills it for me....

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I just looked at the wires I ordered and he sent 5 random colors in 14awg instead of the 5 I asked for. This doesn't work especially because 2 of the 5 are red and black. I needed 5 colors OTHER than red or black and not any of the other colors I ordered in smaller gauge. So not doing much wiring this weekend, maybe the lights since I got the yellow 18awg I needed.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I just looked at the wires I ordered and he sent 5 random colors in 14awg instead of the 5 I asked for. This doesn't work especially because 2 of the 5 are red and black. I needed 5 colors OTHER than red or black and not any of the other colors I ordered in smaller gauge. So not doing much wiring this weekend, maybe the lights since I got the yellow 18awg I needed.
I wired a whole car in only black wires. it’s easy if you run one wire at a time. Or you could paint or put tags on them.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My only issue with the new wires is the brown. It looks black (top right next to "tan"). You can tell the difference in the light, but it looks black stand alone. I thought it was the right color for the bathroom fan, though.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Here is a question about my electrical. Folks have committed that I should run all my grounds to chassis and not back to the fuse box. The issue is the whole box is aluminum, so running everything to the frame isn't much shorter than to my common that is tied to the chassis.

Is a 6' ground to the box, then 12' to the chassis vs 12' to the chassis that big a difference?

Here is a question about my electrical. Folks have committed that I should run all my grounds to chassis and not back to the fuse box. The issue is the whole box is aluminum, so running everything to the frame isn't much shorter than to my common that is tied to the chassis.

Is a 6' ground to the box, then 12' to the chassis vs 12' to the chassis that big a difference?
No, sez your retired EE, but absent a wiring diagram showing all devices, it's hard to make the statement authoritative.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
While I get it and in a car with a steel body, I would do that. But short of running a ground strap, access to the frame isn't ideal. For me, running EVERYTHING to one location kept my harness nice and I don't have a bunch of individual grounds to maintain.

My highest draw is the water pump (7A) and I plan to frame mount it. I could run a 1' or less ground to the frame, same for the water heater. But the fridge is the only power near the floor.

IMG_20191124_131558.jpg

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I got my last wall panel in, the cabinets mounted, and the counter secured. Just need to finish wiring my switch plate and paint it.

IMG_20191124_175303.jpg

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

So long as the ground cable you have running from the Blue Sea block to the chassis ground is sufficiently sized to handle grounding the aggregate max draw of your accessories, there shouldn't be an issue running all of the ground wires to the Blue Sea block. With that setup, you are running one big wire to a ground instead of many smaller wires to ground. No big deal IMO, and I've never had any issues running that same setup.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've got to think you're essentially that in a truck camper and it then grounds back to the truck through the umbilical.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So long as the ground cable you have running from the Blue Sea block to the chassis ground is sufficiently sized to handle grounding the aggregate max draw of your accessories, there shouldn't be an issue running all of the ground wires to the Blue Sea block. With that setup, you are running one big wire to a ground instead of many smaller wires to ground. No big deal IMO, and I've never had any issues running that same setup.
It's a 4 awg feed and ground. That should be good, I think.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The battery box minus the drawer front. The drawer was about 1/16" too wide. I notched it on each side and it worked. I really didn't want to build another drawer. The other battery comes Friday.
IMG_20191127_161401.jpg

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Holy hell, froze my ass off last night. Learned the Lil Buddy heater burns through a can of gas in about 4 hours on low (only had one fucking can in the box).

I am covering every damn inch of this rig in some form of insulation. I am a little concerned about my heat source now. I hope to have my other battery tomorrow, I will set up the ceramic and see how it does and how bad the draw is.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Holy hell, froze my ass off last night. Learned the Lil Buddy heater burns through a can of gas in about 4 hours on low (only had one fucking can in the box).

I am covering every damn inch of this rig in some form of insulation. I am a little concerned about my heat source now. I hope to have my other battery tomorrow, I will set up the ceramic and see how it does and how bad the draw is.
They are spendy, but sell the Little Buddy and get an Espar or Chinese equivalent (only ~$180). They only consume a fraction of a gallon of fuel (gas or diesel) per hour, can be plumbed into the vehicle tank, and have no problem keeping the inside of the vehicle toasty in cold weather. I've got a buddy that has one in his van conversion, that isn't insulated, and it'll keep the inside in the 60s when its -20 outside. They are, IMO, the best heating option.