Quantcast

Campers

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Holy hell, froze my ass off last night. Learned the Lil Buddy heater burns through a can of gas in about 4 hours on low (only had one fucking can in the box).

I am covering every damn inch of this rig in some form of insulation. I am a little concerned about my heat source now. I hope to have my other battery tomorrow, I will set up the ceramic and see how it does and how bad the draw is.
what @Adventurous said, Espar or Webasto. I have the Espar diesel and it works perfect. If you are on propane, a cheaper alternative is a Propex heater.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
They are spendy, but sell the Little Buddy and get an Espar or Chinese equivalent (only ~$180). They only consume a fraction of a gallon of fuel (gas or diesel) per hour, can be plumbed into the vehicle tank, and have no problem keeping the inside of the vehicle toasty in cold weather. I've got a buddy that has one in his van conversion, that isn't insulated, and it'll keep the inside in the 60s when its -20 outside. They are, IMO, the best heating option.
I have been looking at the diesel heater option, I am just not keen on using my truck fuel for a heater in the event of that situation the other night.

My fear is I would burn up my truck fuel and be cold AND stuck.

Yes, I need to fix my gas gauge. But maybe a small "spare" tank might work.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I have been looking at the diesel heater option, I am just not keen on using my truck fuel for a heater in the event of that situation the other night.

They barely use any fuel. It's about one liter for a night.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
@Adventurous and @Jozz , do you think the 8kw diesel would be enough? It's only about 700cuft and once the bathroom is framed out, I will have a thermal curtain to wall off the cab. Looking at about $200 on Amazon.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Besides freezing, the other concern was condensation. It might be from the temp change, but every roof cross brace was dripping. It dripped and froze on the toilet seat. There was a small puddle on the dash from the windshield.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

@Adventurous and @Jozz , do you think the 8kw diesel would be enough? It's only about 700cuft and once the bathroom is framed out, I will have a thermal curtain to wall off the cab. Looking at about $200 on Amazon.
As @Jozz said, we are talking small fractions of a gallon (Espar claims .16 gal/hr) meaning you could run the thing all day and night if you wanted, and you'd only burn a couple of gallons. Assuming your vehicle tank is of a decent size, it should never leave you stranded unless you are negligent about watching the fuel gauge.

As to condensation, all RV instruction manuals say you need to crack a window or vent during winter usage to prevent condensation buildup. We would do that, plus had a couple of chemical dehumidifiers around to help cut down on accumulation, and we never had any real problems.

Any and all insulation will be your friend. Blackout curtains to isolate the cab will help, as will Reflectix window inserts, and any other insulation you can affix to the walls, floor, and ceiling of the vehicle.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The lizurds are clearly stalking this thread and me when I see this on the front page of the you tubes.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
As @Jozz said, we are talking small fractions of a gallon (Espar claims .16 gal/hr) meaning you could run the thing all day and night if you wanted, and you'd only burn a couple of gallons. Assuming your vehicle tank is of a decent size, it should never leave you stranded unless you are negligent about watching the fuel gauge.

As to condensation, all RV instruction manuals say you need to crack a window or vent during winter usage to prevent condensation buildup. We would do that, plus had a couple of chemical dehumidifiers around to help cut down on accumulation, and we never had any real problems.

Any and all insulation will be your friend. Blackout curtains to isolate the cab will help, as will Reflectix window inserts, and any other insulation you can affix to the walls, floor, and ceiling of the vehicle.
I have the window shades I build to cover the windows, but they aren't high speed. They are more to keep the light out. I still need to tint the back and side windows, too.

I need to install my new gas (and all other) gauges. It was stuck on empty until I filled it, now its stuck just past full. I have a pimp ass gauge set along with a billet dash insert I need to get done this winter. I think the diesel heater will be a good option and is pretty straight forward based on a few youtube videos I just watched.

The long term goal is the heat pump, but it needs shore power and this would work in the driveway where we were Thanksgiving. I ordered another roll of heat/sound deadener to finish out the cab.

The Espar is $650, the Chinese knockoff is $150. I might bite the bullet and go name brand, ugh.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Overkill fans. I might not run them, but I now have them.

IMG_20191130_151934.jpg
IMG_20191130_152724.jpg

Ace gave me some "pet screen" that seems pretty sturdy so I secured it with a bead of silicone. I will also cover the bottom of my fridge fan.

IMG_20191129_145108.jpg

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Just chiming in with another vote for the Espar diesel heater, running off your tank. They really work great and don't use much fuel at all. Kept us toasty when it was into the single digits in Moab last month. But yeah, also insulation in the walls, and if your cab is not sealed off, think about insulated window covers as well.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yeah, looking like the diesel heater is likely. It will take about a month to get the last roll of deadener and that will finish out the interior. Might buy a sewing machine to fab up some thinsulate window covers, too.

Insulating the floor is still kinda up in the air, too. I might end up doing a sub floor.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So it seems a dude in Australia has developed a bad ass aftermarket controller for certain Chinese diesel heaters that does full control via thermostat (turn on when cold, auto off once warm). I might go this route if I can get set up for sub $250 with full control.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Picked up the shower tub and bathroom door yesterday. The shower is 24x32 so I can make the bathroom slightly smaller, but it still feels good.

IMG_20191208_124355.jpg

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It is really surprising how much more room 4" feels. And now my battery drawer doesn't hit where my wall will be.

I am strongly considering doing a sub floor now, too. 3/4" with 3/8" plywood top with 1/2" foam board and 1/4" sound deadener under. Added insulation and a better surface to mount the vinyl flooring to. It still leaves me with enough headroom, so I think it would be totally worth it.

Also got my second battery installed and wired up the inverter. I have AC power now. Shore inlet shows up tomorrow, I will have shore power next weekend.

IMG_20191208_153725.jpg

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The wife gets made because I spend a large part of my weekend working on Frita. She is inside watching crap and that's fine. She was surprised at how far along she was over Thanksgiving, but freezing didn't help.

The reality is this bitch isn't too far off. It's less than $2k left to get. I will order my tank and water pump on Friday ($200). Once I figure the supply part out, the propane tank and water heater is next ($650). Only thing left after that are the fans ($400).

So maybe another $100 in the subfloor, $400 in piping, gray water tanks, and add the diesel heater $200.

Then it's just upgrades like the heat pump, the couch, the overdrive transmission. We will hopefully be spending 2 weekends a month 10 months out of the year outside the house.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I should have just bought this for $106k. Still has a year of factory warranty left.

Where was the ad for that last year, I would have bought that instead of the tent I am still making payments on.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
The wife gets made because I spend a large part of my weekend working on Frita. She is inside watching crap and that's fine. She was surprised at how far along she was over Thanksgiving, but freezing didn't help.

The reality is this bitch isn't too far off. It's less than $2k left to get. I will order my tank and water pump on Friday ($200). Once I figure the supply part out, the propane tank and water heater is next ($650). Only thing left after that are the fans ($400).

So maybe another $100 in the subfloor, $400 in piping, gray water tanks, and add the diesel heater $200.

Then it's just upgrades like the heat pump, the couch, the overdrive transmission. We will hopefully be spending 2 weekends a month 10 months out of the year outside the house.
If you are going to do a subfloor underlay it with some pink foam board for insulation and sound proofing. Its cheap and easy to work with Lowes and Home Depot carry it

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If you are going to do a subfloor underlay it with some pink foam board for insulation and sound proofing. Its cheap and easy to work with Lowes and Home Depot carry it
I used the 1" RMax foam board on the walls and ceiling. I got some 1/2" to do the inside of the fridge cabinet. I thought that plus the rubber deadener I have should work out well.

I just ordered my fresh water tank. Since I have 2 weeks off, I might working getting that in and plumbed.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
you going to take a dump with the door open?

close quarters...
It is close, but it isn't bad. I am doing a big ass exhaust fan in there. It's only slightly smaller than the shitter in the Mini WInnie I stole the design idea from.

with this sink likely, might mount it on the inside wall.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
It is close, but it isn't bad. I am doing a big ass exhaust fan in there. It's only slightly smaller than the shitter in the Mini WInnie I stole the design idea from.

with this sink likely, might mount it on the inside wall.

Where did you find that sink? I am le interested.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have an 18.5 gallon black
Is the toilet going to be a cartridge, or will you have a black water tank?
I have an 18.5 gallon black tank installed already.

IMG_20190810_081114.jpg
IMG_20190810_192525.jpg

We've been using it as a pisser for a few trips now, works awesome. Once I have the supply side done, we'll be in business.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Did you also find good spots for the fresh and grey tanks?
The fresh tank fits between the frame right behind the fuel tank. I found a 25 gallon that fits perfectly. The shower has room to fit the same 18.5 as the toilet and I can run a Y gate for a single dump. But I am still playing with the showerloop idea because I think it would be so pimp.

The sink in the kitchen gray water will fit on the passenger side inside the frame. Not centered like the fresh, but it will be small, like 10 gallons.