Quantcast

Campers

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I've always wanted to restore an Airstream, but on second thought, no.
I've got a 34' airstream with a gutted interior sitting in my yard.
Debated pulling the shell to install new floor but will settle for cutting out the limited rot in place.
Current vision is to make it a home office/tiki bar/bong shed.
Currently fulfilling my dreams of pissing off neighbors nicely but once maine camp is complete I'll make this thing functional.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
A used Scamp at a local dealer is what first got me twitchy about getting a towable shed.
With my current Pension snafu. I am living off savings. I will be making 0 large purchases. Owner said she would hold on to it for me. I filled the tires up and pulled it out of the barn with the Tractor. Its under a carport now. Heater works. Couch and seat Cushions are all in the original plastic. Fridge works. Need to figure out the stove is all. Comes with Pots, pans, dishes, and a Coleman stove. Tents and sleeping bags also.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I'm discovering that. I have taken to tying a poncho over the windshield, wipers, and air intake on the hood.

How do you approach clearing the roof?
Using a 8 ft step ladder and a long ass Costco snow broom. When it's fluff I clear the sides from the ground and go for a drive. Heavy snow takes a fair amount of time. I wish I had a carport.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Saw a unique rig last night, pulling off I-70 at Quebec St, my exit:

- Quad cab Ram 2500 or 3500 SRW
- flat bed with tiny utility cabinets at the far back edge of the bed, under the camper
- over-cab slide-in (slide-on for a flat bed? :D) camper with resultant excellent departure angles

I thought their instagram tag on the back of it was Girlgonecamping but that's some Michigan woman with a travel trailer, not this Florida person's rig, so go figure.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

more tiny home on wheels than camper....but,,,,,80 percent recycled or something like that...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Saw a unique rig last night, pulling off I-70 at Quebec St, my exit:

- Quad cab Ram 2500 or 3500 SRW
- flat bed with tiny utility cabinets at the far back edge of the bed, under the camper
- over-cab slide-in (slide-on for a flat bed? :D) camper with resultant excellent departure angles

I thought their instagram tag on the back of it was Girlgonecamping but that's some Michigan woman with a travel trailer, not this Florida person's rig, so go figure.
Was it a Norweld flatbed? Those plus a 4 wheel camper are super popular setups for the Ram trucks. The flatbed kicks ass and I'd love one for a camper.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Was it a Norweld flatbed? Those plus a 4 wheel camper are super popular setups for the Ram trucks. The flatbed kicks ass and I'd love one for a camper.
*Disclaimer, I know nothing*

With a flatbed pickup, can you easily remove camper to attach regular truck bed?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
*Disclaimer, I know nothing*

With a flatbed pickup, can you easily remove camper to attach regular truck bed?
As @eric strt6 says, camper removal easy, regular bed install, misery.

If you need a regular pickup bed, you could always get a service body with the side toolboxes, or even a flatbed that allows for the installation of side boxes and a tailgate. Something like my buddy Aaron has is killer.

It's nice to keep recovery gear, camping equipment, spare tools and fluids outside of the living space.

Sherptek makes a great example of the modular type as you can remove the side boxes with ease and have a flat deck, or keep them on and have bedsides. That is probably the best compromise, cause those bedside and under bed storage boxes are key when actual storage space is limited in a truck camper.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
As @eric strt6 says, camper removal easy, regular bed install, misery.

If you need a regular pickup bed, you could always get a service body with the side toolboxes, or even a flatbed that allows for the installation of side boxes and a tailgate. Something like my buddy Aaron has is killer.

It's nice to keep recovery gear, camping equipment, spare tools and fluids outside of the living space.

Sherptek makes a great example of the modular type as you can remove the side boxes with ease and have a flat deck, or keep them on and have bedsides. That is probably the best compromise, cause those bedside and under bed storage boxes are key when actual storage space is limited in a truck camper.
I could see this as a solid option. While Frita still has a ways to go and my feelings might change before she's done, I will say I am so far happy with the route I chose. While I had anticipated being closer to done, she has come a long way.

The wife doesn't think we can do trips with 3 dogs. I am trying to prove her wrong, but I am nervous. We might not get to use her much until Indy passes.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I could see this as a solid option. While Frita still has a ways to go and my feelings might change before she's done, I will say I am so far happy with the route I chose. While I had anticipated being closer to done, she has come a long way.

The wife doesn't think we can do trips with 3 dogs. I am trying to prove her wrong, but I am nervous. We might not get to use her much until Indy passes.
We had 3 dogs in our truck camper, and I know Eric has a gaggle in his as well. Another buddy of mine brings his 110 lb St Bernard and their 50 lb dog camping in his extended E350.

Granted, I think all 3 of yours are big, but it can be done. Admittedly, it can be a bit trying at times doing yoga to get around them all, but it should by no means stop you from bringing them along.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
We had 3 dogs in our truck camper, and I know Eric has a gaggle in his as well. Another buddy of mine brings his 110 lb St Bernard and their 50 lb dog camping in his extended E350.

Granted, I think all 3 of yours are big, but it can be done. Admittedly, it can be a bit trying at times doing yoga to get around them all, but it should by no means stop you from bringing them along.
2 are actually large, one just thinks he is and is surprisingly heavy for his size.

My main concern at this point is Indy off lead. Abbey is amazing and Hank stays with her, so it hasn't been an issue. But Indy is new to walkies at all and being on lead has been interesting. I will put her in the harness and on the 25' lead to start with.

She is an amazing dog, she just had a farm and no actual boundaries before now. She is also old and very stubborn, but I want to show her the best life.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Scamp has considerable Rot. Taking the Fiberglass shell from the frame is Unpossible. Aluminum wiring and plastic in places which should be metal. Not a sound investment. I shall pass.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Yeah, always fun looking at those ovelanders crawl out of their cold roof tent while we are enjoying our morning coffee.
vehicle in question....1998 stewart stevenson.....in process of building out/attaching...

20200122_213423.jpg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yeah, always fun looking at those ovelanders crawl out of their cold roof tent while we are enjoying our morning coffee.
My buddy has a stereotypical overlander jeep setup...lifted, big tires, roof top tent etc etc

It's hilarious camping with him, as it takes him over an hour to setup his shit. And once it's up, he stuck there with no way of moving his jeep arou d without tearing it all down.

Meanwhile we're 20 feet away with tents all up sitting in lawn chairs enjoying a nice beer with good entertainment. And we dont have to risk breaking any legs trying to get out of our tents to take a piss in the dark at 3am....

:rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
that's the beauty of a truck camper. Put the truck in park and you are set up and camped. then you grab a cold beer out of the fridge.
I did consider the truck camper but like the trailer, I would also like a newer (diesel) truck as well. But I couldn't keep a truck camper at the house, either.