Quantcast

Campers

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Like many topics on the monkey, this one began by discussing campers we actually use, then devolved into posting about technical masturbatory fantasies.
I actually shoveled 12 inches of heavy wet snow from the top of my actual camper. I wish my life was like an Instagram account.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Like many topics on the monkey, this one began by discussing campers we actually use, then devolved into posting about technical masturbatory fantasies.
one thing i notice in these van builds on youtube....where is your fucking fire extinguiser?

i would have at least 3-4 in a camper because i'm fucking paranoid.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I carry one extinguisher in the camper and one in the truck. There is very little risk of fire in the camper unless you do stupid shit like use tall candles that can fall over or place them near fabric ( I think candle use is really dumb) or cook stuff that can splatter grease on the stove with out employing a metal splatter screen over the pan. Of course there is always the dumbass that falls asleep smoking in bed but that part of the herd should be culled anyways......

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I still want an airstream. The 25 foot twin bed globetrotter to be exact. So pricey but at least its not slab sided fiberglass.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
if i already had a pickup......i would not mind making a trailer camper out of a wrecked 170 inch wb sprinter with front end damage....just remove the nose.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
More like Benz is partnering with some outfitters to offer metris based campers, but still, pretty cool.

As for it sleeping "only" 4, who would want more than 4 people sleeping in something that size? Get something bigger if you need room for that many. (Or stick 'em in a tent!)

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
More like Benz is partnering with some outfitters to offer metris based campers, but still, pretty cool.

As for it sleeping "only" 4, who would want more than 4 people sleeping in something that size? Get something bigger if you need room for that many. (Or stick 'em in a tent!)
Correct, which I think was same with old westfalia vws.

I like the size of these metris.
Huge improvement over the split window we owned back in the day.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Correct, which I think was same with old westfalia vws.

I like the size of these metris.
Huge improvement over the split window we owned back in the day.
i'll take the split window bus....

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
i'll take the split window bus....if that is what you are talking about....
We had a ‘67 westy with a built 1776cc.
Had some epic, big mile adventures in that thing.

Our ‘71 westy did everything better but the ‘67 was my favorite.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
We had a ‘67 westy with a built 1776cc.
Had some epic, big mile adventures in that thing.

Our ‘71 westy did everything better but the ‘67 was my favorite.
A built 1776 cc... so that pushed 45 hp instead of 35?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
^^^ we dumped our Sprinter ambulances and vans. the turbo butterfly would stick, intercooler hoses would blow and the high pressure fuel lines would fail. easy but costly fixes Local shops did not carry the fuel lines so they would have to order them from an east coast warehouse. We ended up buying a dozen to avoid many days of downtime waiting for parts. FTS

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
70 grand for basically a tent on a van? Damn!
It's a little more than that what with all the interior build out and all - you pay a premium for that either in sweat/frustration for a DIY project or cash to an outfitter - but still, yeah not cheap.

I think it's another interesting option in a sea of choices. Personally I prefer the additional space you get with a Sprinter/Transit size. Among other things there's not a ton of room in a Metris for storing bikes and gear inside when people are also present. But depending on your situation, it might be just the ticket.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I haven't touched my project in a month. I still need to put the subfloor in but since we might not be using her for a bit, my motivation is low.