Quantcast

Campers

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't know, I bet with careful placement you could capture the entire toilet area and guess pooper with no more than two cameras.
There is an alarm DVR that is supposed to have shock and proximity sensors so I can use the camera like the Tesla setup. When triggered, it records for 1 minute unless it's still triggered. It might be cool.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
aww crap. walked into the camper and saw sticky stuff running down the walls from an over the counter cabinet. Pint jar of honey that the wife keeps in there for her tea was on its side and is now half empty. Took me 30 minutes with hot water and rags to clean up that sticky hell. I hope I got it all but I did put an ant bait on the counter in case any of the little bastards show up

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So this project was a lot to take on having never done anything like it before. It's come with a lot of self doubt and feeling overwhelmed. But so far, I have continued to amaze myself and either it works out how I had it in my head, or I've figured a way to make it work. There is still a lot to do for sure, but it is coming together.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
So this project was a lot to take on having never done anything like it before. It's come with a lot of self doubt and feeling overwhelmed. But so far, I have continued to amaze myself and either it works out how I had it in my head, or I've figured a way to make it work. There is still a lot to do for sure, but it is coming together.
I totally am with you as I’m in the process of a Transit build. I am working on cabinets now And would really Like to pay someone to do that nonsense.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Don't mind my hole of shame. Other than that, I am really happy with the results. Not bad for a software engineer.

IMG_20200517_075205.jpg

Got the drains in, drain pipe comes next week. Still not sure where the grey tank will go.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
The drawers have the cool push button latch, so they shouldn't go anywhere.

View attachment 145241
I do believe he's referring to stuff inside of the drawers and cabinets. Although the majority will probably stay within its confines, it'll fly all over the damn place if not strategically cordoned off.

We learned that one early on when a wee bit of offroading into a remote campsite meant the dishes and pots and pans crashed all over. I ended up putting lips on all of the shelves to help.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I do believe he's referring to stuff inside of the drawers and cabinets. Although the majority will probably stay within its confines, it'll fly all over the damn place if not strategically cordoned off.

We learned that one early on when a wee bit of offroading into a remote campsite meant the dishes and pots and pans crashed all over. I ended up putting lips on all of the shelves to help.
Yeah, that too. Jars of sauce etc bouncing onto your truck floor won't be fun to clean up.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So far the only shelves are in the medicine cabinet and I am putting a lip on those. We talked about possibly doing a few overhead cabinets but the wife really likes the open feel we have now.

The couch will have 2 large drawers for clothes and gear. We figure after a few trips out we will get a feeling for how much room for crap we need and we can add as we go. There might be a pantry either above the faucet or a larger one next to it. It only takes about a day to build out the cabinets once we figure out what we really need.

We do seem to have a lot of space to move around and with the 3 mutts, I think that will pay off.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Looking good. Great idea to start doing trips to help figure out what you really want/need.

Where'd you source the drawer latches? Need to add some to a few of my cabinets.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I had seen the push buttons on a Sprinter build last year and found them on Wish of all places. I got 5, 2 for the battery box and I will need one more for under the couch.

They are kind cheap, but they seem to work pretty well. I would like to find some like it, but a little more stout.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Does anyone have any recommendations on a cassette toilet (or other options for pooping while car camping)

I want to grab my favorite God spot on Cliff Point (here) when our campgrounds reopen.

1590173549577.png

To avoid the vault toilet a groover would be nice addition to our camping kit and I was thinking about something like this:
1590173934576.png
+
1590174053463.png

Sometime in the next year (when the buyers of our Idaho family house settle up for the adjacent empty lot) I'm hoping to take 1/2 of my real estate "winnings" and invest in a (dirtbag) camper van set up so I can hard sided camp at the my favorite (grizzly-friendly) trailheads along the CDT

I''m visualizing something like this (but in a used / affordable promaster)

1590174448795.png

So I don't mind spending a little more up front for the pooper to save on the "back end" as it were ;)

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I cant remember what brand ours is, but after our first trip and getting home to clean it out it's now for emergency #2's only :D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Make, model?
eBay 4 channel 7" monitor.

IMG_20200524_173939.jpg

I liked the look of the side mounts and was able to aim them well. They are also RCA vs 4 pin. I was torn between spending $50 for the 9", but I think this will work.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Also I think the diesel heater will go right here. It's almost midpoint of the bet and the vent will shoot out almost centered as well. Doesn't take up much space, I will build a box around it.

IMG_20200524_182453.jpg