Quantcast

Campers

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Got the windows, fans, and solar installed.View attachment 147033
Jelly, I'm curious how you decided on the Transit.

I still need to test drive but was leaning towards a Promaster, though (passenger) Transit has better (removable) 2nd row seat+ options for the kiddos / extended family.

And does your slide out bike rack have any attachment point for the rear wheel or is it secure enough with fork mount?

I am hoping to have room for 2 bikes in the "garage" (i.e under the bed) but only one of my bikes has through axle, so would have to find something that works for the old skool QR on the fat bike / roadie...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You might want a rear wheel strap if you do a lot of off-roading, but for pavement a fork mount alone is usually plenty secure in a van. (Never been an issue in our Sprinter.)

Shouldn't be too hard to find an old-school QR mount either. Look for a lowrider truck bed mount.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
100% getting shifted into neutral as you try and merge onto the highway.
I thought about it, but she would need to poke it up to shit in neutral. What would probably happen is a downshift from drive to 4th with a side push.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Jelly, I'm curious how you decided on the Transit.

I still need to test drive but was leaning towards a Promaster, though (passenger) Transit has better (removable) 2nd row seat+ options for the kiddos / extended family.

And does your slide out bike rack have any attachment point for the rear wheel or is it secure enough with fork mount?

I am hoping to have room for 2 bikes in the "garage" (i.e under the bed) but only one of my bikes has through axle, so would have to find something that works for the old skool QR on the fat bike / roadie...
Main reason for choosing the Transit because it has the highest roof and I’m 6’3”.

Bike rack is secure enough without strapping back wheel down.

you can find just about any fork mount setup on Amazon, or fab up an adapter.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I would have mounted pump and filter inside where they wouldn't be exposed to road debris, but that's me...
And less exposed to the cold where freezing temps will crack them. Looks like they are in a low spot where they will always be full of water. Higher up and in a different orientation they could automatically drain.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would have mounted pump and filter inside where they wouldn't be exposed to road debris, but that's me...
If I had a place to put them...

I am using a different filter setup, I am not digging this setup. I might still do a cover for the pump, but once the mud flaps are on, the road debris is minimal.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You can kind of make out the other spots based on the clearings but we are a good 100+ feet from the closest site with lots of trees between. It's 5 sites total, but the corner is the spot for sure.

Screenshot_20200703-083812.png

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So I didn't fill the water tank figuring about 15 gallons would be enough for 3 nights. I was wrong. I did bring my 5 gallon jug so I was able to put 10 more gallons in it. I only have 18.5 gallons of black tank, so the wife said she will relax on the flushes. :rofl:

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
The sink is where most of my water comes from. My grey tank fills up quick with the kids washing hands and brushing teeth. Gunna regulate on them.

we leave shortly for Idaho.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Since Hank slept on our bed and not his kennel, I am building a 28x32 cabinet with a shelf for the last bit of storage. There was some random kitchen stuff we would like room for.

Overall I couldn't be happier with what I have so far. Packed out in 10 minutes without leaving a trace. It was really nice.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I do not have a camper. I do not have the prospect of getting a camper. I no longer want a Porsche. Unless they make a camper. Then I most certainly would want one. I have retained counsel (Saul Rosenberg). I am going to sue you Mother Fuckers for Punitive Camperless damages.