Quantcast

Campers

John go to an RV place or WalMart and get a toilet wand. PVC with 4 holes at the end and a shut off valve where it connects to the hose. Its about 3 feet long. You insert it into the toilet and use it to spray out the inside of the black tank. Also Filling the tank with water ice and salt then driving around a bit after dumping will really clean it out
Yeah, I know about wands, just frustrated with factory installed system that's not working.

When ever I look in my tank after dumping it looks clean, what I can see at least. Is this really something I should be doing?
What you don't want is a pile of turds and toilet paper that dries out, then clogs things up. There's endless discussion of this on RV forums.

What I'm scratching my nose about is if I have to cut an access port in the 1/8" plywood wall, what's the cleanest way to do it (everyplace the factory boys cut the stuff, it's all splintered to hell on the inside) and how to make an access panel that matches or compliments the existing vinyl covered surface.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
John go to an RV place or WalMart and get a toilet wand. PVC with 4 holes at the end and a shut off valve where it connects to the hose. Its about 3 feet long. You insert it into the toilet and use it to spray out the inside of the black tank. Also Filling the tank with water ice and salt then driving around a bit after dumping will really clean it out
Good tip. I've got the wand but hadn't considered the water/ice/salt to "scrub" the tank.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Yeah, I know about wands, just frustrated with factory installed system that's not working.

What you don't want is a pile of turds and toilet paper that dries out, then clogs things up. There's endless discussion of this on RV forums.

What I'm scratching my nose about is if I have to cut an access port in the 1/8" plywood wall, what's the cleanest way to do it (everyplace the factory boys cut the stuff, it's all splintered to hell on the inside) and how to make an access panel that matches or compliments the existing vinyl covered surface.
How big of an access port are we talking?

Last edited:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Dumping snow here, makes me think about winterizing the rig. Anyone see any good online tutorials?
I haven't seen any tutorials, but we:
1) drain the water and dump then put RV "antifreeze" stuff in the water lines;
2) turn off the propane/electric and turn off the pump inside
3) empty anything that critters would like and I fill lots of recycled nylons with cloves and stuff them in the electrical port under cupboards, etc. (anywhere critters can get)
4) I put dryer sheets under the cushions and mattress pads and give everything a thorough cleaning,

then we cover it up and put it under the carport. I think Earl may disconnect the battery or put it on a trickle charger too...not sure about that one. I'm probably forgetting other steps too.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I haven't seen any tutorials, but we:
1) drain the water and dump then put RV "antifreeze" stuff in the water lines;
2) turn off the propane/electric and turn off the pump inside
3) empty anything that critters would like and I fill lots of recycled nylons with cloves and stuff them in the electrical port under cupboards, etc. (anywhere critters can get)
4) I put dryer sheets under the cushions and mattress pads and give everything a thorough cleaning,

then we cover it up and put it under the carport. I think Earl may disconnect the battery or put it on a trickle charger too...not sure about that one. I'm probably forgetting other steps too.
That's pretty much the process I just used. I still need to throw some cloves in mine and disconnect the battery, but otherwise we're right there. Most of the checklists I read have a very similar set of items.

That's pretty much the process I just used. I still need to throw some cloves in mine and disconnect the battery, but otherwise we're right there. Most of the checklists I read have a very similar set of items.
I
  • Turned off 125 VAC feed to water heater,
  • Pulled sacrificial anode and vacuumed residual water out of HW heater tank.
  • Used compressed air to blow water out of supply lines, followed up with vacuum cleaner.
  • Drained the three storage tanks.
  • Opened and vacuumed low point drains.
  • Vacuumed all drainage traps.
  • Disconnected both lines from water pump and ran it to blow water out.
  • Removed, drained, and cleaned water pump feed strainer.
  • Put a cup of RV antifreeze in each trap and in toilet.
  • Turned off breakers to refrigerator, hot water heater, and microwave.
  • Cleaned refrigerator and left door propped open about an inch.
  • Left batteries installed and retained 125 VAC feed to converter.
  • Removed all traces of food.
  • Inspected the hell out of everything and filled any possible critter gaps with foam insulation.
No antifreeze in water lines or fresh water tank, had a hell of a time cleaning the crap out after I bought the trailer in July.

I'm inspecting the rig at least weekly.

Started installation of a two gallon pressure tank to reduce water pump cycling frequency. First step was to reroute various wiring associated with the water heater to create some room. In the process I'm planning to relocate the water pump to reduce noise and make it more accessible for maintenance, particularly the inlet strainer.

Area where the R-Pod is parked got to smelling like propane. Got out soapy water and a brush and determined that the regulator was leaking. Removed the regulator and ordered another. Hopefully, I'll be able to install the replacement tomorrow prior to the weather turning cold again.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
fun project.....people transferring toyota chinook/sunrader/dolphin campers onto later model toyota trucks...

i think there are a couple that have put them on tacomas....

Last edited:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Nice. I have two Interstate marine dual purpose pieces of junk; in parallel, I'm guessing that they provide a rollicking 40-50 Ah. I plan to replace them at some point with AGM.
Do you have a 12v fridge? If not, 100ah is plenty I would think. Unless you need to blowdry the stache in the morning... ;)

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Nice. I have two Interstate marine dual purpose pieces of junk; in parallel, I'm guessing that they provide a rollicking 40-50 Ah. I plan to replace them at some point with AGM.
Do you have a 12v fridge? If not, 100ah is plenty I would think. Unless you need to blowdry the stache in the morning... ;)
If the R-pod has a furnace then two batteries and 200w of solar gives you the ability to camp in really cold weather, stay warm, charge your laptop run light and not worry about power.

I have 2 of the Renogy 100 watt monocrystalline panels on my camper roof to charge 2 group 31 AGMs. All my inside lights are LED. I rarely fire up my Honda 2000 generator, mostly when the roof is buried by falling snow

The refrigerator in the R-Pod can run on 12 VDC, but I run it on 120 VAC or propane depending on circumstances.

The furnace use 2.3 A for fans only and 2.9 A when burning. The return air fan I installed uses 0.15 A.

I have replaced all lights with LEDs with the exception of running lights.

I have done a couple of dry camping runs and have not lacked for 12 V power to date; have only used the furnace for brief intervals when not on shore power.

One of the considerations for whenever I replace batteries with AGMs is whether to stick with my WFCO WF-8955 converter or to replace it with one tailored to AGMs.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
One of the considerations for whenever I replace batteries with AGMs is whether to stick with my WFCO WF-8955 converter or to replace it with one tailored to AGMs.
I just started doing ACTUAL research into my solar setup for both the eventual trailer as well as the cabin in the woods. It seems like batteries are still a huge cost. Is there an efficiency difference between the converters tailored to AGM's?

My primary concern is not efficiency, it's battery lifetime. AGMs want a slightly lower float voltage than flooded lead acid. Having done a little more reading, I think my current converter will work fine.

I'm sure that there's an efficiency difference between converters you might be looking at, but it's likely to be small. You can probably find efficiency on spec sheets.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wife likes the look of the Taxa Tiger Moth, I guess I should do some research...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
fun project.....people transferring toyota chinook/sunrader/dolphin campers onto later model toyota trucks...

i think there are a couple that have put them on tacomas....
this weekend only....$6,000...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
My kid and I are planning a two week mountain bike camping trip to Arizona in the trailer this April. Mostly RV parks, some boondocking (I guess with the snowbirds and spring break boondocking spots are competitive).
Will learn a lot about the rig on this trip!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
@Toshi .....for the monocle set....mercedes metris camper....

and if i had had the cash two or three months a go there was a sprinter with a westy type pop top for 12,000 for sale here locally....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@Toshi .....for the monocle set....mercedes metris camper....

and if i had had the cash two or three months a go there was a sprinter with a westy type pop top for 12,000 for sale here locally....
Fitting in a normal garage is a big selling point for that Metris.