Quantcast

Campers

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I do not have a camper. I do not have the prospect of getting a camper. I no longer want a Porsche. Unless they make a camper. Then I most certainly would want one. I have retained counsel (Saul Rosenberg). I am going to sue you Mother Fuckers for Punitive Camperless damages.
porsche did in the 50's

porsche tempo mikafa...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I replaced the fabric on the rear awning of my Lance 1055. The old one was 12 years old and was cracking and getting holes on the corners by the roof. Ordered a new one from Carefree of Colorado. $308 including shipping. Placed the order on the 30th. It arrived today. It took me and Ruth 30 minutes total to do the fabric swap. It just took one socket driver, a Phillips head and a square head driver bit, a cordless drill and a ladder

All Carefree needed was the serial number off the old fabric to get me the right size. They custom cut and sew it when you order

107112729_3657591920924458_3201360683311138615_o.jpg
107260867_3657592217591095_3269647516457656620_o.jpg

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
And is that a Lada?
Haha. No. I lusted after a Lada Niva that I used to see in my neighborhood in Duessledorf back in the day. Neat looking rigs, but they must be an absolute pain in the ass to get parts for. The rig in the picture is a lightly used and slightly modified Isuzu Trooper. Only slightly easier to get parts for...

Foggy windows are from the doggo sleeping below deck.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If I'm not mistaken he got the load distribution sorted with new springs, and I expect he also made sure the tires are up to the task. Heck, I'd expect getting the right tires was the least of his problems!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

It looks like it'd do a rad wheelie, if only it had something more than that 3.0 liter V6. :D

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I replaced the fabric on the rear awning of my Lance 1055. The old one was 12 years old and was cracking and getting holes on the corners by the roof. Ordered a new one from Carefree of Colorado. $308 including shipping. Placed the order on the 30th. It arrived today. It took me and Ruth 30 minutes total to do the fabric swap. It just took one socket driver, a Phillips head and a square head driver bit, a cordless drill and a ladder

All Carefree needed was the serial number off the old fabric to get me the right size. They custom cut and sew it when you order

View attachment 147240View attachment 147241

The wife wants an awning next.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
The wife wants an awning next.
Electric, crank, or manual? We never used the crank awning on our truck camper, and seldom used the manual one we had on the truck. Electric would be nice, especially if it had a wind sensor, but those arent wallet friendly. Decisions decisions...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Electric, crank, or manual? We never used the crank awning on our truck camper, and seldom used the manual one we had on the truck. Electric would be nice, especially if it had a wind sensor, but those arent wallet friendly. Decisions decisions...
The issue with the electric ones is that they only extend out with a slight downward angle. With my Manual one I can set it way down and steep so I can have a sheltered door when its snowing or blowing rain

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I have a Pahaque eyebrow, but it only remained functional for about a two years. I have been thinking about having something similar made up at a local boat place.
I went all in with a Fiamma F65. Great construction and sturdy, mechanism is rock solid. just need to try to isolate de rattly with rubber pads. They are not cheap though.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Affordable RVing has a 15' power setup for $750, but I was originally thinking manual due to costs. I can get a good manual for about $500.

The idea is to create a patio like her sister does with their trailer. Put the awning up, they have a patch of fake grass, couple chairs and bam.

No lie, I would be a little pissed if I spend this money, do all the engineering and then never use it.

Also, I am down to only 1 circuit left on my 12 space fuse box. I am adding a 6 space block in the cab ran off the 2 drive batteries. That will be for the backup cameras, the stereo and a USB port.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Affordable RVing has a 15' power setup for $750, but I was originally thinking manual due to costs. I can get a good manual for about $500.

The idea is to create a patio like her sister does with their trailer. Put the awning up, they have a patch of fake grass, couple chairs and bam.

No lie, I would be a little pissed if I spend this money, do all the engineering and then never use it.

Also, I am down to only 1 circuit left on my 12 space fuse box. I am adding a 6 space block in the cab ran off the 2 drive batteries. That will be for the backup cameras, the stereo and a USB port.
If you are the type ro roll up to a spot, setup camp, and stay parked for a few days, the awning will be great. Every camping rig we've had is also our means of transportation, so going into town for food, or driving to activities means breaking down camp. Awning in/awning out just adds another step to the process; if you do get one, make sure its easy to deploy and retract. You'll look forward to using it instead of dreading putting it away.

Sounds like you are in the market for another Blue Sea block.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
If you are the type ro roll up to a spot, setup camp, and stay parked for a few days, the awning will be great. Every camping rig we've had is also our means of transportation, so going into town for food, or driving to activities means breaking down camp. Awning in/awning out just adds another step to the process; if you do get one, make sure its easy to deploy and retract. You'll look forward to using it instead of dreading putting it away.

Sounds like you are in the market for another Blue Sea block.
The fiamma is great for that, one minute to setup. The legs attach directly to the van body which is great.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's sort of 50/50. With Frita last weekend, we set up around the fire pit and on the table. But jumped in and went to a park, got some crap, so it's really both. But that is a great point.

We are booked for 6 weekends between now and November. 2 more at the last place, and 4 new spots. I'm excited.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
We have a manual Fiamma on our Sprinter. It's great, and pretty much essential when parked in a sunny spot, both for shade underneath and to help keep the van cool. Roll it out just partway and attach the legs to the side of the van or roll it all the way out and attached the legs straight to the ground with stakes. Zero complaints after over 5 years.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
PS: Most of our local spots for post-ride food and drink remain closed, especially after our weekly night ride, so we've been eating out of my van recently. Fired up some sausages last night.

Sausage Fest .jpg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
What about a tarp type awning, I'm sure there must be something that could clip to a couple of points along the roofline and either stake or pole to the ground depending on conditions.

Anyone aware of something suitable as I've been considering the above.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah, that's an issue. I have a vent fan pretty much right over the stove, and crank it up when cooking, which does a lot to eliminate smells. I also drape a dishtowel over the back of the driver's seat, which combined with the stove lid makes a pretty effect splatter guard.

Having a built-in cooktop eliminates the need to carry a separate stove or gas source, which is kind of the point.

Plus, I tend to sleep better when I can drift off to the sweet smell of sausages... :drool:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The next big project is the propane tank and exhaust fan. Then we can cook inside, but run the Coleman camp stove. I think we will be keeping it. I got a little grill, but it's crap.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Put a maxxair fan in the roof
I'm eventually putting in 2. 10 speed with remote in the kitchen, 4 speed manual open in the bathroom. I supposedly bought one, but it never showed.

I need to buy a welder so I can do the propane tank and water heater. These are the last damn things I need and I just haven't had a spare $1200 to get the crap I need.