Quantcast

Campers

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Sprinter Monkeys, how many miles is too many miles on a 2015 Sprinter?

A Winnebago class C came up for sale locally, thing looks super clean, and the price is really good, but it's a 2015 with 113k miles, should I be scared?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That is awesome that they actually used it. So many ads of old, low mileage RVs, neglected their whole lives.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
That is awesome that they actually used it. So many ads of old, low mileage RVs, neglected their whole lives.
It also drops about $25k off the price, which makes picking one up a possibility since we're trying to just pay cash for it.

On the one hand, being well used likely means little issues were addressed. I've seen lots of dry rotted seals, stale tires, and minor roof/window leaks in RVs because they just sit. On the other hand, could be a ticking time bomb if Sprinters have gremlins like most Mercedes that start appearing around 125-150k.

Good chance we'll just stick to the travel trailer idea, since it means we're towing with a 4wd truck and have transportation when we get where we're going. However the Tacoma is a little tights with 2 adults, 2 50-60lb dogs and a kid in a car seat, and I can't really figure out what to replace it with, Class C is suboptimal in the mountains, but has loads of room for dogs, kids and their accessories.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
work sprinter, we ran it to 300,000 then the tranny started to slop and we dumped it off. Only real problems we had was the common high pressure fuel line. They take a week to get from NJ so we kept a few on hand and the damn Turbo hose would tear or the Turbo butterfly would stick. Sucker only had 87 HP without the turbo

work sprinter, we ran it to 300,000 then the tranny started to slop and we dumped it off. Only real problems we had was the common high pressure fuel line. They take a week to get from NJ so we kept a few on hand and the damn Turbo hose would tear or the Turbo butterfly would stick. Sucker only had 87 HP without the turbo
What, exactly, does "started to slop " mean?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
We're coming up to nearly 90,000 miles on our 2015 Sprinter 2500 (4 cyl turbo diesel). No serious mechanical issues to report (fingers crossed, knocking on wood, etc.), just the usual maintenance stuff.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Stock suspension will compress but the sidewall flex is what sets off the wallow. Trust me I started out that way. Upgraded tires, wheels, suspension. Then finally went to a dually
Eric,

I think I've asked you this before, but could you sum up your thoughts/experience with F-350 SRW and DRW for towing and slide in camper use?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

So the Lt Governor of Idaho is a nutjob, sure. That does appear to be a fine Sportsmobile she's in, though

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Well I knew it was coming, two nights at 15* confirmed it. Time to replace my ten year old AGM camper batteries, they just could not deliver the output nor recovery that I have come to expect. All day with the 200 watt solar did not bring them back up to charge while my buddy with the same solar d=set up and similar over night use was back u to full charge by noon. I had to fire up my generator. So that said I ordered two Lifeline GLP 31T AGM deep cycle batteries when I arrived home tonight. Found them on sale for $665 delivered. normally closer to $800. Lets hope I get the same service out of these Lifelines as my last set of them

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
It's a couple houses down, I saw it when I was walking the pups. It's really sketchy. My jacks specifically say not to lift the wheels off when using.
Pretty sure those have hydraulic jacks, specifically built for that purpose. I've seen quite a few up in the air like that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
not a traditional camper, but when i saw this i nostalgia'd super hard. my dad had a 78 K5 that we used to take camping up in Allegheny nat'l forest. we would remove the rear bench seat and have enough space to sleep 3 people comfortably.

he also taught me to drive it when i was 12.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
not a traditional camper, but when i saw this i nostalgia'd super hard. my dad had a 78 K5 that we used to take camping up in Allegheny nat'l forest. we would remove the rear bench seat and have enough space to sleep 3 people comfortably.

he also taught me to drive it when i was 12.

43 years old and it still looks infinitely better than the new Blazer.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
nice. it was interesting to learn that chevy seems to be starting to do factory EV conversions. tempting my future self.
You been able to find ballpark prices on the conversion? It would be amazing to breathe life into old vehicles; depending upon cost it could be comparable to a built engine and transmission.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You been able to find ballpark prices on the conversion? It would be amazing to breathe life into old vehicles; depending upon cost it could be comparable to a built engine and transmission.
no specific numbers, but i found more details here. sounds like they're going to officially offer aftermarket conversions starting second half of '21

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Anybody ever ship a trailer cross country? Think we're decide on what model to get, but they're about $10k cheaper on the East coast, shipping can't be more than like $3k right?

Rented a trailer and did some camping for halloween, went well, but the KZ Sportsmen 180BH we rented needed more floor space for sure.

These appears to be our huckleberry https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/wolf-pup/18RJB/4355

Plenty of room for the kiddo and dogs to roam around, the ramp turns into a deck for outdoor kid and dog containment when the weather's nice. The garage area will hold tons of bikes and cots for riding trips with the boys, and it gives us the most possible flexibility down the road, and lets me get the generator and BBQ out of the bed of my truck, which is nice.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
i don't dig that they had to take up part of the cargo area. the engine bays on those things are massive.
Concur. Gotta think there's a better way to accomodate that, though its probably the trade-off of using off the shelf parts. Hopefully the battery pack can accomodate cargo in top or thats a ton of wasted space.