Quantcast

Campers

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Admit it, it was the wet farts
No joke, but we did have to move the natural gas detector out of the bedroom area due to farts setting it off.

Got the truck road worthy again. Fender was pretty scraped up from the blow out so I had to repaint it. Still need to fix the marker lights. It's not perfect but its functional and that's the important thing.

View attachment 152907View attachment 152908View attachment 152909View attachment 152910
IIRC, isn't this the second time in the past few years you've had s blowout that tore the flare off?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
No joke, but we did have to move the natural gas detector out of the bedroom area due to farts setting it off.

IIRC, isn't this the second time in the past few years you've had s blowout that tore the flare off?

Yes and they are probably related. In hindsight I should have seen this coming. When Ruth had her flat we had 6 of the same tire plus the spare. She found a shop that had tire that would fit for a spare. for some reason they stuck that on the inner dual and I didn't notice. It was some Chinese off brand. We hit something on the road and it blew. I should have swapped it to the spare position as soon as she got back. We did put 15,000 mile on it though. I'm swapping out both right rear tires with tires from Cooper (same as the other 4) doing both incase the blow out damaged the outer tire too.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Maiden voyage was a resounding success. It was the kiddo's first birthday, couldn't really have a party, and honestly he doesn't care anyway because he's 1 and has no concept of time, this seemed like a decent way to celebrate. Nothing super exciting, just booked a couple nights at a local camp site, far enough away that we could disconnect, close enough that I could head home if I forget the power cable or something.

Found a few issues we need to address, mostly organization to make meal prep a bit easier, a bit more camp site lighting, the LED strip in the awning wasn't nearly enough, and we need a propane firepit since I guess RV places don't generally have firepits?

Dogs can't hang in the cold, 55 degrees with a decent fire going and they were a couple of icebergs, gotta find some jackets that fit these oddly shaped mutts haha

IMG_2601.jpg

IMG_2680.jpg

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Sprinter vs. Teardrop Trailer: What's Best for Camping? | Outside Online

A somewhat rudimentary but helpful summary of the differences between small trailers and camper vans. Pros and cons to each, really depends on your personal wants and desires.
This was where we started. Wasn't Sprinter vs teardrop, more like class b vs 16ish foot trailer. But I knew Amber was on her last legs and a gas truck was less than ideal for towing.

The neighbor spent $85k on a new GMC Denali dually to tow the 5th wheel they also just got. Guessing it's at least $130k in "recreation". While I'm not saying it isn't worth it, it's a bit out of my budget.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
It's been a maintenance weekend. Truck tires yesterday and today I redid all the critical roof seams, solar panel attachment points, marker lights, and the passenger side edge of the roof membrane that Ruth ripped on a tree branch years ago (eternabond tape repair) with Dicor. I was really picky on the nose cap area seams as that takes the biggest weather and wind beating. Self leveling for the flat roof areas and non sag for everything else
IMG_20201206_123914483_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201206_123932505_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201206_123952384_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201206_132007697_HDR.jpg
n

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It's been a maintenance weekend. Truck tires yesterday and today I redid all the critical roof seams, solar panel attachment points, marker lights, and the passenger side edge of the roof membrane that Ruth ripped on a tree branch years ago (eternabond tape repair) with Dicor. I was really picky on the nose cap area seams as that takes the biggest weather and wind beating. Self leveling for the flat roof areas and non sag for everything elseView attachment 153240View attachment 153241View attachment 153242View attachment 153243n
Are you peeling off the old crap before laying down the new layer?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Are you peeling off the old crap before laying down the new layer?
I peal the old stuff off it it is in bad shape. I cleaned up the old dicor with mineral spirits. I only found a few small spots with surface cracks ( I did a major peel and reseal two years ago ). So this time around it was just clean up and overlay. Probably going to replace the shower skylight this year and that will be a full scrape, new butyl tape and new layer of dicor.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Should have used Gorilla Tape.
Actually the entire passenger side of the roof membrane got ripped when Ruth scraped a tree branch. I fixed it by removing the rain gutter, trimmed the rip, cleaned everything with mineral spirits then overlaid the edge front to bacck with eternabond tape then sealed the tape edges with Dicor. Its worked beautifully for 6 years. you can see the dicore seal about 2" in from the roof edge in the pic

IMG_20201206_123932505_HDR.jpg

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I see stuff like this, and it makes me wonder how people fund these builds. There can't be that many nomadic dentists in this world to generate that kind of demand.

Hell, even going the "cheap" route, a DIY rig can set you back $150K easy...
it's 20k just for the guy to do the CR TDI swap....parts/labor....

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I see stuff like this, and it makes me wonder how people fund these builds. There can't be that many nomadic dentists in this world to generate that kind of demand.

someone somewhere owns everything. It’s crazy all the property, every Taco Bell or supermarket or used car lot has an owner and that is likely not the renter And the renter isn’t the manager.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001

Try every Techie in the fucking Bay area. 150k is pocket change...these guys pay over a million in cash for homes around here.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Not my cup o' tea but personally I love seeing people do weird/stupid shit like this, especially if it doesn't make any sense, is too expensive, highly misguided, etc. And hey, this could be highly personal to someone, like an old family vehicle or something, who knows?

Sure it might seem like a waste of money but you're not getting those dollars regardless. Don't yuck their yum.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Not my cup o' tea but personally I love seeing people do weird/stupid shit like this, especially if it doesn't make any sense, is too expensive, highly misguided, etc. And hey, this could be highly personal to someone, like an old family vehicle or something, who knows?

Sure it might seem like a waste of money but you're not getting those dollars regardless. Don't yuck their yum.
Don't think anyone (at least I'm not) is raining on their parade, just wondering how they can afford to bankroll six figure builds that require a cash layout. Seems like there are so many other things that would take priority over a vehicle that'll probably get taken out for 2 weekends a year. But perhaps I'm too economically challenged to have that sort of vision.

You wanna see stupid shit, check this fella out: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/1992-dodge-w250-cummins-vw-vanagon-abomination-may-cause-blindness.215913/

Cutting and splicing two vanagons onto a Cummins powered chassis.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Actually the entire passenger side of the roof membrane got ripped when Ruth scraped a tree branch. I fixed it by removing the rain gutter, trimmed the rip, cleaned everything with mineral spirits then overlaid the edge front to bacck with eternabond tape then sealed the tape edges with Dicor. Its worked beautifully for 6 years. you can see the dicore seal about 2" in from the roof edge in the pic

View attachment 153256
If you need any help. I am a renowned Armchair Chemist.