Quantcast

Campers

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My Brother has decided to get his own Camper. He is getting a friends family's Bills Tailgate camper. Its a Winnebago. Its in good shape. It has a big motor and can pull my Camper when I pull the trigger...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Am I doing this right?

Co trip has been easy as pie for 1300ish miles, but the last 2” have been a royal PITA.

Pro tip, if you have a father in law, don’t listen to him, it doesn’t end well

“So do we turn there?”
“No, go up that little hill”

little hill is an ice skating rink, 4 low locked just meant all 4 were spinning
Got pulled out, did a loop and ended up right back where I wanted to turn anyway, then it got interesting

52411969-1057-427D-BC3D-1BEB50B1212B.jpeg

That headlight, don’t worry about that headlight....

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Advanced RV's president Mike Neundorfer estimates that the price will be similar to the company's other vans, which have recently ranged between $310,000 to about $490,000 with a median price of about $380,000.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Am I doing this right?

Co trip has been easy as pie for 1300ish miles, but the last 2” have been a royal PITA.

Pro tip, if you have a father in law, don’t listen to him, it doesn’t end well

“So do we turn there?”
“No, go up that little hill”

little hill is an ice skating rink, 4 low locked just meant all 4 were spinning
Got pulled out, did a loop and ended up right back where I wanted to turn anyway, then it got interesting

View attachment 154020

That headlight, don’t worry about that headlight....
there are these things called tire chains

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
there are these things called tire chains
The plan was to just stop and either turn around or wait it out if the conditions were bad enough to need chains. I’ve been through some serious winter storms in the Taco on ATs, and honestly, never had an issue, and having owned my chains for like 15 years, have used them a grand total of zero times, so I left them at home. Will probably bring them along next trip, one day I may even use them.

Definitely confirmed a couple issues I knew where there with the camper. 7500lb leveling jacks should be here this evening, and definitely adding a second battery, and looking at how I want to do the solar upgrade. Being off grid the single battery lasts a out 24 hours using the heater, and the 100w panel didn’t even come close to recharging it. Need some insulated panels for the windows around the bed, lots of cold radiating from those, and will add tank heaters at some point before camping in such cold weather again. Got a thin layer of iced around the fresh tank after day of mostly freezing temps abd a 19 degree night. Hit it with a halogen work light for 20 minutes and melted the bit blocking the fresh water pick up, after that it all thawed pretty quickly. Brake controller seems to be shitting the bed, it works one time after driving for a bit, then it’s either full brakes or nothing, oh well, now that I actually own a trailer it’s probably worth getting a decent one.

Otherwise, trailer was fine, truck was mostly fine, never dropped below 50 going uphill, but the headwinds on the flats were a bit rough. Need to wash everything, replace the shitter dump elbow I left at the KOA in Kingman and head back out soo

Having your own mobile, heated dining room for lunch stops is pretty prime.

CA3E6D10-2482-4058-860B-B36FB28342D1.jpeg

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Jesus, are tho

The plan was to just stop and either turn around or wait it out if the conditions were bad enough to need chains. I’ve been through some serious winter storms in the Taco on ATs, and honestly, never had an issue, and having owned my chains for like 15 years, have used them a grand total of zero times, so I left them at home. Will probably bring them along next trip, one day I may even use them.

Definitely confirmed a couple issues I knew where there with the camper. 7500lb leveling jacks should be here this evening, and definitely adding a second battery, and looking at how I want to do the solar upgrade. Being off grid the single battery lasts a out 24 hours using the heater, and the 100w panel didn’t even come close to recharging it. Need some insulated panels for the windows around the bed, lots of cold radiating from those, and will add tank heaters at some point before camping in such cold weather again. Got a thin layer of iced around the fresh tank after day of mostly freezing temps abd a 19 degree night. Hit it with a halogen work light for 20 minutes and melted the bit blocking the fresh water pick up, after that it all thawed pretty quickly. Brake controller seems to be shitting the bed, it works one time after driving for a bit, then it’s either full brakes or nothing, oh well, now that I actually own a trailer it’s probably worth getting a decent one.

Otherwise, trailer was fine, truck was mostly fine, never dropped below 50 going uphill, but the headwinds on the flats were a bit rough. Need to wash everything, replace the shitter dump elbow I left at the KOA in Kingman and head back out soo

Having your own mobile, heated dining room for lunch stops is pretty prime.

View attachment 154208
Go get a 25' roll of refletix at HD or Lowes cut it to fit door, windows and skylights. attach with industrial double lock velcro. The renogy moncrystalline 100 watt panels work well and will run you $198 and I am assuming your controller should be able to handle it. I have two group 31 agms and two of those panels and I almost never need my generator. I had to chain up all four wheels to get out of Yosemite after the roads iced over to get Ruth to the hospital after she slipped and broke her ankle. I never leave those sucker at home in the winter.

Go get a 25' roll of refletix at HD or Lowes cut it to fit door, windows and skylights. attach with industrial double lock velcro. The renogy moncrystalline 100 watt panels work well and will run you $198 and I am assuming your controller should be able to handle it. I have two group 31 agms and two of those panels and I almost never need my generator. I had to chain up all four wheels to get out of Yosemite after the roads iced over to get Ruth to the hospital after she slipped and broke her ankle. I never leave those sucker at home in the winter.
What brand and type of chains?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I love it when a plan comes together. Decide Sunday that I need new batteries for the camper. Placed an order with Battery Guys in Phoenix Sunday night. They processed and shipped my batteries free via FedEx. They arrived at noon today and it only took 30 minutes to swap out and hook everything up

$650.00 for two Lifeline group 31 AGM Batteries (20 hour rating of 105 AH each) delivered. I head out to work a horse show this weekend then Ruth heads out Wednesday to compete for two weeks in Southern CaliforniaView attachment 151791
Thanks for this useful info. Getting ready to pull the trigger on new batteries for our Sprinter and may give these guys a shot. Any experience with Fullriver vs. Lifeline?

I've currently got two of these: Fullriver DC224-6 Deep-Cycle AGM Battery (FREE SHIPPING) | Battery Guys

By most accounts I've had super good luck, I've gotten more than 6 years out of them and they're just starting to fail. I'm thinking of bumping up to the DC250 for a little more juice. Pricing is about the same as Lifeline and I hear rumors they all come from the same manufacturers, but curious if you have any thoughts one way or the other. Definitely want sealed AGM's, they're not easily accessed for regular maintenance. Thanks!

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Thanks for this useful info. Getting ready to pull the trigger on new batteries for our Sprinter and may give these guys a shot. Any experience with Fullriver vs. Lifeline?

I've currently got two of these: Fullriver DC224-6 Deep-Cycle AGM Battery (FREE SHIPPING) | Battery Guys

By most accounts I've had super good luck, I've gotten more than 6 years out of them and they're just starting to fail. I'm thinking of bumping up to the DC250 for a little more juice. Pricing is about the same as Lifeline and I hear rumors they all come from the same manufacturers, but curious if you have any thoughts one way or the other. Definitely want sealed AGM's, they're not easily accessed for regular maintenance. Thanks!
You can have a look at https://www.rollsbattery.com/

They are far from cheap, but high quality. Mine is now 7 years old and no signs of loss of charge.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Trailer peeps:

I want to box in the bottom of the frame on a casita. That's one of the fiberglass eggshell things, just has a basic I-beam steel frame on the bottom. The reason is winter insulation just to provide an air pocket between the frame and the floor.

I'm wondering what to use panel-wise. I know there's tons of sandwich board construction out there but this would be on the underside so it needs at least one side of it to be pretty burly for gravel, mud etc.

whatchoo got?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Trailer peeps:

I want to box in the bottom of the frame on a casita. That's one of the fiberglass eggshell things, just has a basic I-beam steel frame on the bottom. The reason is winter insulation just to provide an air pocket between the frame and the floor.

I'm wondering what to use panel-wise. I know there's tons of sandwich board construction out there but this would be on the underside so it needs at least one side of it to be pretty burly for gravel, mud etc.

whatchoo got?
Thin marine grade plywood treated with bedliner to protect from road debris and moisture.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Trailer peeps:

whatchoo got?
What's your budget?

I'd wager any of that sandwich board material would hold up fine if you painted the exposed side with a bedliner like Herculine or Line-X. Both are pretty tough in my experience.

Otherwise, a thin-ish sheet(s) of uhmw would certainly do the trick. Not the lightest option, but it would be great for impact resistance.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Not doing anything wood because I don't care how much it's treated salt water (winter here, salted roads) doesn't dry and just does weird things to wood, and always gets in there. People still frame snowmobile trailers with treated wood and that shit always gets weird. Considering this will be on the bottom it's just going to exacerbate things.

Not sandwich board but looking at something like this as well

uhmw on one side of a sandwich would be perfect

Last edited: