Quantcast

Campers

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
and on the flip side of the nominally HD equation, a Ram 2500 Cummins Mega Cab 4x4 in Limited trim will get you all of 1,640 lbs payload, and not even the excuse of the Power Wagon's suspension...
Why so low??

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Actually station wagons minivans are more capable in this arena. A new Chrysler Pacifica has a maximum payload of 1725 lbs.
:rofl:

Trucks aren't trucks anymore, they are road going wishful phallic projections
when I worked framing houses I had two different mini vans, all the seats taken out so I could keep all my tools and a six foot ladder. I would party and sleep in it. Once it even got me laid. Girl said something about big truck dudes haveing little dicks, I told her “I drive a mini van”. I didn’t meet expectations. Guys with little dicks drive everything.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
and on the flip side of the nominally HD equation, a Ram 2500 Cummins Mega Cab 4x4 in Limited trim will get you all of 1,640 lbs payload, and not even the excuse of the Power Wagon's suspension...
No, but you will have the power of the CTD. Payload goes down ~900 for the pleasure of the oil burner. That configuration may make sense if you tow but don't haul. While a 1500 might be able to tow or haul a similar amount, I'd rather have the larger running gear of the 2500 than run at the margins of the 1500 stuff.

Solid front axle on the 2500, the ability to fit 35s easily, a much burlier rear axle, plus the beefier chassis. There’s not a significant difference in physical size between the 2500 and 1500, so why not start with the thing that’s closer to what you want to built right from the start?

Unless payload is absolutely critical, the Power Wagon is pretty rad. Have quite a few friends with them, and they’re surprisingly good on and off-road. On the short list of things that may replace my Taco for sure.
Right, plus lockers and big tires play much nicer with solid axle hardware than they do IFS and CV shafts. You typically get deeper gear options with solid axles vs IFS diffs.

The Power Wagon is greatly misunderstood. It is not a 3/4 ton truck for doing 3/4 ton truck things. It's a burly, offroad performance focused truck, that just so happens to be built on a 3/4 ton chassis. It has different front and rear suspension, f+r lockers, disconnecting swaybars, and a winch option from the factory. It is not meant to compete with the TRX or Raptor.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What else are you supposed to do with a ship driver when they go into the Army?
We were bored and I found out one of the mechanics was also an instructor and could certify me. So we did the basic hummer, the coms truck, the 2 1/2, and a 48 passenger bus.

That's why I had my own city bus inNew Orleans after Katrina. Because I had a license. :rofl:

<edit> I was master helmsman in the navy. I went through the small boat school, it was awesome.

We were bored and I found out one of the mechanics was also an instructor and could certify me. So we did the basic hummer, the coms truck, the 2 1/2, and a 48 passenger bus.

That's why I had my own city bus inNew Orleans after Katrina. Because I had a license. :rofl:

<edit> I was master helmsman in the navy. I went through the small boat school, it was awesome.
Army, Master, LCM 6334. Also drove a deuce and a half.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
when I worked framing houses I had two different mini vans, all the seats taken out so I could keep all my tools and a six foot ladder. I would party and sleep in it. Once it even got me laid. Girl said something about big truck dudes haveing little dicks, I told her “I drive a mini van”. I didn’t meet expectations. Guys with little dicks drive everything.
I kind want a minivan. Yank all the seats out. Easy to toss in my bike in a locked car. Can easily sleep/camp in it. Can haul anything I would ever want to put in a truck.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I kind want a minivan. Yank all the seats out. Easy to toss in my bike in a locked car. Can easily sleep/camp in it. Can haul anything I would ever want to put in a truck.
With all the seats out, it was pretty sporty considering (windstar). Me and my buddy with a 5 speed v6 mustang use to race all the time. Sometimes I would win. We even took it in some small sand dunes in Glamis.

Some of the undercover cops around here have mini vans with kids seats in them. But when you look in there is no trash, no crumbs, no toys and obviously no kids.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My friend's son scored a GMC Safari 4x4 and made himself a ski rig. He lives in it parked up at Timberline. It's worked out really well so far, I was impressed.

His dad bought a Sprinter last fall and started building. I need to get pics, it's pretty bad ass. He's in construction, so he has more skills and better tools.

crashmtb

Chimp
Dec 14, 2020
if you get a recent dodge/chrysler van, the 2nd and 3rd row seats fold into the floor. Friggin magic.

while camping in Waterton lakes few years ago, our neighbour was a guy from Florida who had built a platform in the back for sleeping and generally set up a grand caravan for camping. He paid $3k for the van, and was driving it all around North America.
a minivan is what 90% of crossover/SUV buyers really need, but they’d rather pay more money for less useful doors and poor convenience.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
IMG_7850.jpg

For those lusting over a 6x6. Only $190K too, which actually doesn't sound too bad for something like this...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
View attachment 156458

For those lusting over a 6x6. Only $190K too, which actually doesn't sound too bad for something like this...
"Beadlocks... :disgust1:" -jbp

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
View attachment 156458

Only costs as much as first my house and the first 3 new cars I bought. Bargain for something that is both a shitty house and a shitty car.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Saw one of these on the freeway on my way to lunch https://happiercamper.com/pages/hc1-travel-trailer

Kind of dig the modular interior concept, could make a cool bike hauler, but dear god they're expensive!
the price is high but that thing isn’t full of wood or seams to leak. It would be cool if someone molded them and sold kits.

ive always wanted to build something like this but more curved.
B7D19915-B1CB-4873-9EB7-504C10061158.jpeg