Quantcast

Campers

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Quick little break-in weekend in the coach, Was able to De-winterize and run all the systems. First time I have ever had a dishwasher in an RV and have to say I am not going back. The washer and dryer unit is going to be upgraded from the combo unit to a stackable set soon and am currently sourcing airplay TV's and updating the interior and exterior sound systems.View attachment 157249
check out the old split ring wheel firepit!

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Anybody familiar or used this setup yet? Seen a couple in the last RV park and the old "Stinky Slinky" needs to be replaced anyways.

There is no replacement for displacement. I feel the stinky slinky dumps the tank better due to volume. I use a macerator at home and it takes forever and then I have to use the flush a bunch to get more out. From what ive read the sewer solution works great for some people. The downsides are it uses a lot of water and takes longer. Some say they only use the water when it clogs, which takes even longer. Its not for me out in the west, too much water filling up dump tanks. Im also impatient on the road.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Saw this little guy at the beach on my lunch. Always wanted to build an RV out of one of these Internationals, but I was thinking a lot smaller than this, CalFire uses them as wild land fire trucks, that chassis would probably fit a 15’ box instead of this which looked to be about 20’. Not sure why there are so few windows, but it had Alaskan plates, so maybe it’s an insulation issue?

0317EA82-E45E-402B-8D96-88A239AE08F6.jpeg

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Saw this little guy at the beach on my lunch. Always wanted to build an RV out of one of these Internationals, but I was thinking a lot smaller than this, CalFire uses them as wild land fire trucks, that chassis would probably fit a 15’ box instead of this which looked to be about 20’. Not sure why there are so few windows, but it had Alaskan plates, so maybe it’s an insulation issue?

View attachment 157316
That looks like a type 1 or type 4 fire engine chassis that was modded to an expedition rig with a box from a cube truck or moving truck. Looks like they shaved the top and put in a regular RV door with a few mismatched windows and some underbody truck boxes. I dont see any AC units on top so I bet it gets a bit warm in there. I know it is a previous fire truck due to the exhaust routing and wheel base.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I seriously considered a expedition type rig for quite a while and after having a few peers own and sell them and opt for a coach with a jeep in tow I realized there really isn't too many places you can effectively take or wheel one of the behemoths off piste. Seems those that try end up having it getting repaired more than they use them. For the price or even half the price you can have a much nicer coach and better driving experience at 75mph than you can with any expedition rig. Keep in mind I am talking about rigs in the 30' + category and above the $100k price tag.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I seriously considered a expedition type rig for quite a while and after having a few peers own and sell them and opt for a coach with a jeep in tow I realized there really isn't too many places you can effectively take or wheel one of the behemoths off piste. Seems those that try end up having it getting repaired more than they use them. For the price or even half the price you can have a much nicer coach and better driving experience at 75mph than you can with any expedition rig. Keep in mind I am talking about rigs in the 30' + category and above the $100k price tag.
I would consider most of them art. I would think these trucks would tear up the terrain and get hit with trees. Definitely less of leave no trace. Some are rad though.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I would consider most of them art. I would think these trucks would tear up the terrain and get hit with trees. Definitely less of leave no trace. Some are rad though.
Ive had enough RV's and full timed it in them enough to know that nearly all of them with the exception of a few brands and type are very cheaply made and are nothing but a tissue box on wheels. Once they get a few 10k miles on the is where you can see the actual weaknesses, stress cracks and issues start to appear and even the best made rigs are not impervious to it, they are simply longer lasting than the market norm. You cant possibly have a dwelling on wheel and expect it to last over the road for very long. This expedition RV trend had been nothing but a dick and portfolio measurement from the start. Half the roads, parks and places you truly want to visit wont even facilitate some of these rigs height, weight and length.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Most are lifestyle rigs. The kind of terrain that becomes accessible in a lifted vehicle on 41" or 52" tires is the same type of terrain that is unsuitable for a 30', 15K lb rig with a high COG and poor turning radius. We did our best to get off the beaten path whilst traveling and there were seldom any places where our tire size or lift height was the governing factor.

Really the only places they are somewhat suitable for is the US/Canada. And even then it'll just be to get from one Overland event to the next.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Ive had enough RV's and full timed it in them enough to know that nearly all of them with the exception of a few brands and type are very cheaply made and are nothing but a tissue box on wheels. Once they get a few 10k miles on the is where you can see the actual weaknesses, stress cracks and issues start to appear and even the best made rigs are not impervious to it, they are simply longer lasting than the market norm. You cant possibly have a dwelling on wheel and expect it to last over the road for very long. This expedition RV trend had been nothing but a dick and portfolio measurement from the start. Half the roads, parks and places you truly want to visit wont even facilitate some of these rigs height, weight and length.
we are in agreement

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I agree as well. Heck even the 4X4 Sprinters have limited utility off-road, and in order to be decent you have to make tons of compromises. They're fine for fire roads and definitely better than 2X in snow and mud, but there's no getting around how top heavy they are for anything serious. And the better they are off-road, the more they suck on pavement, especially at highway speeds.

A camper shell on a real truck (like Eric) is a workable alternative but those shells are pretty camped. I'm with GFF: Get something road-worthy and figure out how to get your kicks off-road another way.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Our truck bed camper is definitely cramped. But I have been able to take the truck in some places that I wouldn't have likely wanted to take a Sprinter. I do wish we had inside bike storage though.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I agree as well. Heck even the 4X4 Sprinters have limited utility off-road, and in order to be decent you have to make tons of compromises. They're fine for fire roads and definitely better than 2X in snow and mud, but there's no getting around how top heavy they are for anything serious. And the better they are off-road, the more they suck on pavement, especially at highway speeds.

A camper shell on a real truck (like Eric) is a workable alternative but those shells are pretty camped. I'm with GFF: Get something road-worthy and figure out how to get your kicks off-road another way.
Even the truck camper direction is a slippery slope, albeit the lesser of two evils. They are way overpriced and nearly every single one of them is already overweight for the truck they are on. For the same price of a used truck camper you can buy a nice coach and have a better drivetrain and powerplant with a ton more room.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
There's no perfect solution, every option has compromises. We love our Sprinter but we definitely lust after other vehicles from time-to-time. No matter how you do it, it's just rad to have something that moves to sleep and cook in.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
There's no perfect solution, every option has compromises. We love our Sprinter but we definitely lust after other vehicles from time-to-time. No matter how you do it, it's just rad to have something that moves to sleep and cook in.
Agreed, ultimately it comes down to price and size, I have owned just about everything and the older I get and more I travel the more I enjoy an oversize shower, dishwasher, washer/dryer and a recliner.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
There is not always a hotel where we want to be, and there is definitely not usually a "nice" hotel there.

That said, who says you can't have both? On longer trips we sometimes spring for a night or two in a hotel.