Quantcast

Campers

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
C7DCB97B-FDB8-4572-B5E4-DB3578781F29.jpeg

my Camper is in the photograph right now. An ice cream van came off roading by camp and got me for ten bucks. Kids are happy though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Agreed, ultimately it comes down to price and size, I have owned just about everything and the older I get and more I travel the more I enjoy an oversize shower, dishwasher, washer/dryer and a recliner.
For those of us with a 9-5 the amount of time we have off, hotels are cheaper.

My overland rig

10304052x1011970_zm.jpeg
718455.jpeg

Just checked the R-Pod, battery monitor not on, turn off 120 VAC main, no 12 VDC in trailer.

Check battery box, which has managed to fill with water, overtopping the batteries, and freeze. Copper crimp-on terminals look somewhat reddish. Drill some small holes in box handles, some fluid drains, guessing it's some mixture of water and electrolyte.

Expansion of box and ice prevents removal to a warm place. Tuesday it's supposed to get up to close to 60 F, so we'll see.

Grrr...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Just checked the R-Pod, battery monitor not on, turn off 120 VAC main, no 12 VDC in trailer.

Check battery box, which has managed to fill with water, overtopping the batteries, and freeze. Copper crimp-on terminals look somewhat reddish. Drill some small holes in box handles, some fluid drains, guessing it's some mixture of water and electrolyte.

Expansion of box and ice prevents removal to a warm place. Tuesday it's supposed to get up to close to 60 F, so we'll see.

Grrr...
Sealed AGM Batteries and you will not have that issue. Lifeline AGMs are the bet. These guys offer free shipping https://batteryguys.com/

2021-03-07 172933 terminal corrosion locations.png

Crimp-on terminals and at least an inch of wire were utterly gone in the two circled locations. Chipped the ice out, replaced the blue wire, and put my NOCO Genius G7200 battery charger to work. Some hours later, the two T-105 batteries seem to be taking a charge. It'll take a while to complete, nominal capacity is 225 Ah.

@gonefirefightin: all the leads are routed down exiting the box.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
View attachment 157451
Crimp-on terminals and at least an inch of wire were utterly gone in the two circled locations. Chipped the ice out, replaced the blue wire, and put my NOCO Genius G7200 battery charger to work. Some hours later, the two T-105 batteries seem to be taking a charge. It'll take a while to complete, nominal capacity is 225 Ah.

@gonefirefightin: all the leads are routed down exiting the box.
they are gone prob because it was shorting out when the water got to that level.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Yeah, I figure that electrolyte managed to percolate up through the vents. It's going to be interesting to see whether the batteries are damaged and if so how much.
My guess they will be fine, seems the battery box is probably flexible enough to allow sufficient expansion outwards rather than cracking the batteries, I think as long as they didnt get contaminated with water or crack they should be good to go.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
View attachment 157451
thaw it now?

I somewhat doubt they will be ‘fine’. Degraded capacity at best.
I'm pretty sure that you are correct. Analysis at this point is that water overtopped batteries and leaked into cells through vents, overflowing the cells. This let acid leach out, and positive terminal material plated onto negative terminals until the whole mess went open circuit.

I got one vent cap off, verified ice under. We have three days of serious thawing in progress, after which I should be able to remove the batteries, drill some drain holes in the case, and make a better determination of battery state.

I suspect that I'll be purchasing two new Trojan T-105s.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sealed AGM Batteries and you will not have that issue. Lifeline AGMs are the bet. These guys offer free shipping https://batteryguys.com/
My last set of Lifeline Group 31 AGMS lasted 10 years of hard use in temps from 0 degrees F to over 120F. I paid $650 for 2 in December
Thanks for the tip. I just bought two of these from batteryguys.com, only took a few days to get them from Arizona with free shipping. (These weigh around 70 lbs each, so the free shipping is a nice touch.) I went through some options but decided to get the same batteries I had before. They are zero-maintenance and I got more than 6 years out of the original set with pretty frequent use, which by all accounts is pretty good. Plus our van has a custom battery rack under the floor - these fit perfectly and other options would have required modification.

DC224-6_2_grande.png

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
sounds like @jbp should just sell it all and use the proceeds to create a sweet monkey compound here in the hills of nc where his batteries won't ice, he can ride sans fatbike 365, and be closer to other fam.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Ok, campground hooligans, what the absolute quietist gas generator powerful enough to run an air conditioner?
its a small ac, but still.
And no, it won’t be running if anyone is close enough to hear it, at least at night.
is there anything that operates under 50 db’s with that kind of power?