Quantcast

Campers

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Four Wheel Campers make some pretty sweet set ups. That's the flat bed version of the Granby. Great way to go if you have a dedicated vehicle, but you'd want a slide-in if you want to be able to use your truck without the camper.
Don't you have to tie down anything big anyway? @kidwoo , thoughts as a flatbed owner?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Don't you have to tie down anything big anyway? @kidwoo , thoughts as a flatbed owner?
A friend of mine just bought a flatbed and the same camper. He and his wife just drove it across the country for a work detail in virginia. I'll give him a ring and see if they've beat it up yet.

As far as using the flatbed like a truck, I built drop in panels on all sides. It's actually better than a standard pickup bed.

One thing I don't like about the flatbed versions is that they end up sitting up higher since the bed is above where the wheel wells would be on a standard bed. It's a good bit more wind drag. But that said, it's also a lot roomier if you get the side entrance style with the table against the back. I'm kinda sorta always looking for one to throw on in summer if I can find one used and cheap (yeah right). Generally speaking if I only owned one bed camper it wouldn't be one of those popups. That's a lot of money for all the chill and noise of a tent. I want to buy a beatup one and build some hard side accordian panels so it's a raised hardshell. Stock they pretty much suck for winter. I have some friends that do it and they all say they just blow through gas keeping the heater on all night.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Every option has pros and cons. I see these as a decent alternative for fair weather camping if you're doing a lot of highway miles along with some wheelin'. (Low profile, relatively low weight, etc.)

But yeah, good luck finding a cheap used one these days. All of this stuff is going nuts. Hell, without trying I get offers for our van close to what I paid 5 years and 80K miles ago!

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
This is what I envisioned most RV parks to be, if not even tighter in yet.
Ya and to me it sucks. At least I was the only one out and cooking on a campfire
5B128C68-49D4-4E02-8B82-BBB803C7837A.jpeg

this is more like it, 6 primitive sites on a river. We are the only ones here.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I’ve heard a bag of rock salt and fill it up with water and drive it. Even with the black tank flush I think the swizzle stick is in my future. I filled and let it sit 24 hr last time my sensor stuck and I got lucky.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
total composites sprinter conversion....perfect for the cutaway sprinter chassis you can pick up for it seems like 9-12k

Screenshot_20210414-120525_Instagram.jpg

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
My wife and I area starting to look at travel trailers. We have 3 kids, and only a 21ft parking spot for it, so it posses a bit of a challenge. We're going to look at some Forrest River trailers this week.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/wolf-pup/16BHS/1330

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/wolf-pup/17JG/4611
What kind of weather are you planning to camp in?

Really wanted something like this but got overruled because we always find ourselves camping in freezing weather so the soft sides were a no-go for the Wife.

My 194 is sweet and would be pretty solid for a family with 3 kids, but too big for your 21ft parking spot.

That 17JG is a pretty cool floorplan though, a bit of a shrunken down version of our.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
My wife and I area starting to look at travel trailers. We have 3 kids, and only a 21ft parking spot for it, so it posses a bit of a challenge. We're going to look at some Forrest River trailers this week.

those look cool. I would check actual length if the parking has no wiggle room. Sometimes the hitch or bumper arnt included in the “box” measurement. 26 gallon tanks are gunna empty and fill up fast with 5 people. One of my favorite parts of my camper is 40 gallon tanks. Anyway a bowl in the sink to catch that water and use it for the toilet or a tree. And maybe a grey water tote. My kids would fill the 40 gallon tank with hand washing and teeth brushing till we went with the bowl.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
We're camped in a dispersed camping area, where each campsite is bare dirt. Two people have just pulled in on top of us, parked on a grassy section and some small bushes...

There's fucking 50 acres of space to use...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I sort of did the bow and target up in the Sierras last year. Had some obnoxious neighbors. I set my target block up at 50 yards with them watching and went back to the truck pulled out the bow and fired ten arrows in a row into the bullseye. Another camper yelled over " hey those are all kill shots! don't you ever miss?" I looked at him with a weird grin and said nope. They left me alone after that

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
What was crowded yesterday seems to have had more people cram in overnight.

I wish I "played" the bagpipes.

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
What was crowded yesterday seems to have had more people cram in overnight.

I wish I "played" the bagpipes.
I made the mistake of stumbling apron the best campsite in an area. Everyone else wanted it too and asked me multiple times a day “when you leaving?” I need better repellent.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I made the mistake of stumbling apron the best campsite in an area. Everyone else wanted it too and asked me multiple times a day “when you leaving?” I need better repellent.
I once got to an empty campsite, picked my spot. Paid at the office, hung my stub and then headed out for a hike.

Came back several hours later and a couple had moved my stub and set up camp in what had been my spot. Words were exchanged.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Apparently if you don't use a tent for about 7 years the tape sealing the seams goes a little crunchy in spots...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Apparently if you don't use a tent for about 7 years the tape sealing the seams goes a little crunchy in spots...
Peal off the tape then use these two products

Re re-waterproofed both the floor and entire rainfly and seams of my Mt Tent. This shit works

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!

Both look like great options. We didn't want slides for easy maintenance so we have a Jayco Jay Flight 184BHS. It's been great with our 2 kids (15 and almost 9) and dog. We have the dinette always set up as a bed; dog bed on the sofa and the kids each get a bunk. It's super light weight. Doesn't have a big fridge so we always have a cooler of ice or a mini fridge for the libations (if we have electric) but it worked GREAT when we went from Upstate NY to Montana for 3 weeks. We've also put easily 25,000 miles on it since 2015 when we got it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Both look like great options. We didn't want slides for easy maintenance so we have a Jayco Jay Flight 184BHS. It's been great with our 2 kids (15 and almost 9) and dog. We have the dinette always set up as a bed; dog bed on the sofa and the kids each get a bunk. It's super light weight. Doesn't have a big fridge so we always have a cooler of ice or a mini fridge for the libations (if we have electric) but it worked GREAT when we went from Upstate NY to Montana for 3 weeks. We've also put easily 25,000 miles on it since 2015 when we got it.
You and spouse on separate beds? Who is on the dinette bed then if dog on couch, kids on bunks?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Peal off the tape then use these two products

Re re-waterproofed both the floor and entire rainfly and seams of my Mt Tent. This shit works
It seemed to be the zipper seam which was most crusty. I need to check it properly. Plus I'd been meaning too sell it for ages...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Heh. Fruita crowded on a weekend in April... who could have guessed? :D
Anyone trying to camp out here in a tent tonight currently hates life outdoors.

Pretty much a sandstorm with the strong winds.

It was weather like this and here, that made my wife and I decide to upgrade from a tent for bike trips.