Quantcast

Campers

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I think that would be like a $40,000 upgrade, and you would lose a bunch of storage. As well as make it hugely heavier, and take twice as long to charge. Not a really practical solution, IMO. An ‘average’ camping trip for me out here is at least 1000 miles, if not 2000 for an extended trip.

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I think that would be like a $40,000 upgrade, and you would lose a bunch of storage. As well as make it hugely heavier, and take twice as long to charge. Not a really practical solution, IMO. An ‘average’ camping trip for me out here is at least 1000 miles, if not 2000 for an extended trip.
The H2 drivetrain is overall lightest of EV, ICE - In the production Murai (mid size) which gets a 500km range the Fuel cell stack weight is 123.5lbs (56kg) while the two hydrogen tank's combined weight is 192.9 lbs (87.5 kg). Add motors like an EV. Design in space for much bigger tanks. Triple the fuel cell, still way less than 6L V6 or whatever.

You get to pick between BEV or H2 for the future right now. Pick one.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Legitimate H2 question, is that shit really viable?

It seems like it would be, but you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting an auto journalist with a shitty opinion of H2 power.

I’ve never quite been able to sort out why it’s bad, except that splitting water is inefficient, maybe? Since it can be done using green energy, does efficiency actually matter? Cant you just do it off peak hours in a wind farm?

An H2 powered tow vehicle would just to the top of my list really fast. H2 powered generator would be cool too if I could add the exhaust water to my fresh tank

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
In a future world where renewable energy power >> real-time grid demand perhaps H2 makes sense as energy storage.

But in that future world batteries probably will be much, much better, too, and in this current world H2 is mostly dirty, via NG.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Legitimate H2 question, is that shit really viable?

It seems like it would be, but you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting an auto journalist with a shitty opinion of H2 power.

I’ve never quite been able to sort out why it’s bad, except that splitting water is inefficient, maybe? Since it can be done using green energy, does efficiency actually matter? Cant you just do it off peak hours in a wind farm?

An H2 powered tow vehicle would just to the top of my list really fast. H2 powered generator would be cool too if I could add the exhaust water to my fresh tank

At the moment green hydrogen is too expensive to be commercially viable. You are quite correct about off peak being one of the promising vectors to make it. Also lots of people are building dedicated plants. Industry says most of the required cost out will come from scale, and we have a bit to do with making the electrolyser/fuel cell stack cheaper and more efficient too. It is a five to ten year thing and will start off being used for decarbonising heavy industry and powering heavy transport that batteries will be too heavy for. Once it is cheap, it makes a lot of sense for things like campers too.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
god I hate what the 'outdoors' as a commodity has become

keeps'em out of the woods I guess

I worked at a "camping resort" on Lake George one summer in college. It pretty much marked the starting point of my disdain for the general public.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Is there a site or hashtag for overloaded trucks with campers?

Highway 401 between Montreal and Toronto would forever feed it money shots...