Quantcast

Campers

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Did a semi-impulse buy on a new Cherokee 264dbh 2 weeks ago. We were camping the weekend prior and really realized that the family out grew our camper. The extra room is great but after 10 days camping in the new camper I can see where Cherokee(Forest River) cut a lot of corners compared to my old Keystone Passport.
AE048A69-D318-4967-9E72-547AE52EBBCD.jpeg

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Is there a site or hashtag for overloaded trucks with campers?

Highway 401 between Montreal and Toronto would forever feed it money shots...

SR-18 in Washington. In fact I think it is a requirement to have marginal roadworthyness to even get on that highway. Bonus points for crashing, which is hard to do since traffic never moves from all of the crashes.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Did a semi-impulse buy on a new Cherokee 264dbh 2 weeks ago. We were camping the weekend prior and really realized that the family out grew our camper. The extra room is great but after 10 days camping in the new camper I can see where Cherokee(Forest River) cut a lot of corners compared to my old Keystone Passport.
View attachment 164313
I still need to do the awning, I would like to do it before I finish the inside, but it ain't cheap.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Holy Fuck, Near disaster today. Ruth was trailering her horse home from a training clinic in Napa. She was coming onto the Carquinez Bridge and a major drop has formed at the transition from the land to the bridge deck. She was doing 65 when she hit it hard. She heard a pop and the trailer started handling weird. so she limped it back to the barn. When I saw it the 48" hitch extension was hanging down a good 6". The extension and receiver were fine but the 4 bolts at the bumper end of the receiver were sheared off. Fortunately the remaining 12 at the front held. The MFG is shipping me out new parts free of charge. if those other bolts had failed we would have lost the trailer and probably killed the horse.
32469.jpg
32471.jpg
IMG_20210903_150210073.jpg
IMG_20210903_150636984.jpg
IMG_20210903_150648499.jpg

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
When I was a young teen I was on a family holiday I think in France. Fam in car, following a regular caravan along the motorway. Out of nowhere, one of the caravan tyres bursts. Caravan immediately flips on its side, explodes into 100,000 pieces; glass, plates, fibreglass, bedding, gas bottles, an explosion of stuff and bits. Car towing it starts fishtailing all over the place. We somehow dodged all the carnage by weaving across the lanes. I never trust caravans.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Eric, any way to step up to larger bolts, or add some material to capture the extension so it’s less reliant on the hardware? Losing a horse trailer seems un-good.

Not even sure where to start with this thing

Beautiful craftsmanship, jank as fuck rear suspension set up, and over $400k, for a Tacoma.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Backed the trailer into a stump with the tractor tonight. Its not tracking right. Pretty muddy and I abandoned ship. I will deal with it tomorrow. The Cat didn't like the Camper. Puked everywhere for some reason. I had to walk down the road for 2 miles with her in a cage. It sucked. She cried all the way. I had to drive her home.
Neeper.jpg

I hate you fuck off...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Eric, any way to step up to larger bolts, or add some material to capture the extension so it’s less reliant on the hardware? Losing a horse trailer seems un-good.

Not even sure where to start with this thing

Beautiful craftsmanship, jank as fuck rear suspension set up, and over $400k, for a Tacoma.
I just don't understand building a Tacoma beyond a light shell like a GFC or a RTT. They don't have the suspension, the power, the drivetrain, the brakes, or the frame strength.

I know cause I've been there with a Taco. It's just not the best platform for that kind of build. But hey, I guess if someone wants to spend that kind of cheddar, far be it from me to talk them out of it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I just don't understand building a Tacoma beyond a light shell like a GFC or a RTT. They don't have the suspension, the power, the drivetrain, the brakes, or the frame strength.

I know cause I've been there with a Taco. It's just not the best platform for that kind of build. But hey, I guess if someone wants to spend that kind of cheddar, far be it from me to talk them out of it.
Interested to see if the new Tundra is even up to half tonne capacity like its peers unlike the current gen.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

Same, my Taco is an okay truck, did what I needed it to for 10 years, but just a coolera couple gas cans had is sacked the fuck out. At least they did a lot of work to the suspension on that thing, because stock is absolute dog shit, it’s just that the work they did looks pretty questionable.

The main reason to buy a Taco is the size, something that’s destined to be that big anyway, just get an f250/Ram 2500 and skip 90% of the chassis engine mods they put on the Taco.

@kidwoo add a helper leaf in addition to the bags. Mine has the oddball 4 leaf pack Toyota never admitted they made, but after snapping 4 leafs in my first two years the last leaf pack they gave me mysteriously grew an extra leaf. Still run my bags at 10psi if I’m carrying anything heavier than a cantaloupe

JBP I would suspect water running down the wire from an outside marker. Check the backside of the marker lights for corrosion on the contacts indicating leakage
Possible. The only high marker lights on the pod are these three obscenities, and the leak appears to be in this vicinity. Checking their backside would be non-trivial because i really don't want to pull the dam. I'll do it if I have to.
1631315770438.png

Possible. The only high marker lights on the pod are these three obscenities, and the leak appears to be in this vicinity. Checking their backside would be non-trivial because i really don't want to pull the dam. I'll do it if I have to.
View attachment 164658
Removed the 28 screws retaining air dam, pulled dam off, cut feed wires to three rear running lights on the dam. Screw tops under dam were rusty near tops, found evidence of water pooling under lower section of dam (underside of dam was wet). Beveled all screw holes and filled with Dicor self-leveling lap sealant. Penetration for the two (green and white) light wires remains filled with courses of a black shiny sealant. The location of this mess correlates with water found inside the trailer.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
fucking leaking marker lights every time
Half of my Marker light screws were sunk into nothing and just spin. The new kits had gaskets that were mushy out of the box. I had to reuse the old covers as the new ones had screwholes that did not match either the gasket or the light holes. The Aluminum by the holes has turned to dust. Complete shit show.... The Thor is shit. One would think replacing schedule 40 with schedule 40 would be easy. It is not. Finally got the cigarette smell resolved. Vinegar and water. Worked like a champ.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
It's all crap.

Shouldn't come as a surprise to well, anyone who has ever owned an RV. Premium prices for shit manufacturing. Its almost impressive how atrociously they manage to build them and still have buyers lining up for the privilege.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Shouldn't come as a surprise to well, anyone who has ever owned an RV. Premium prices for shit manufacturing. Its almost impressive how atrociously they manage to build them and still have buyers lining up for the privilege.
I think it might come to a head. Dealers are left trying to polish a turd and customers are getting pissed.