Quantcast

Campers

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Any of you folks running a group 4D battery?

Looking to swap my 71AH battery for a 200AH Renogy, just need to sort out a battery box. Looks like Noco makes a decent, but expensive one, but it doesn't have any way to lock it, anybody got something better?

Any of you folks running a group 4D battery?

Looking to swap my 71AH battery for a 200AH Renogy, just need to sort out a battery box. Looks like Noco makes a decent, but expensive one, but it doesn't have any way to lock it, anybody got something better?
I'm using two T105 6 Volt golf cart batteries in a Century Plastics heavy duty battery box, SKU GCE-G, no lock. capacity's 225 Ah, simple and cost effective.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Etrailer is where I found the Noco, I’ll give them another look.

Need to measure, the dual 6v set up would be cheaper, but if I’m remembering right they’re pretty tall, my trailer kidda swoops forward killing vertical clearance. I do however like the maintenance free nature of an AGM

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What kind of fuel mileage do those big rigs get carrying such a light load? I like that it has a guest bedroom.
Running tractors as bobtail seems to yield 8-10 mpg usually (as opposed to 5-6 mpg when laden).

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Whelp, inspected the trailer since today was the first time we've had real rain since buying it, and of course I found a leak. Goddamnit. Luckily it's just a drip through the skylight over the tub, of all places to spring a leak that's not horrible. It's supposed to be in the 80s for most of the week so I think it'll dry out by the time I can get up there and find/fix it. Dicor ordered, need to get up there and measure for vent covers and solar panels anyway.

While I was in there, I spent some time measuring and I have a weird nook under the bed that'll fit up to 4 100AH AGMs perfectly, but just a touch narrow to fit 200AH units. Unfortunately it's not as cost effective, so I have to decide if I want to give up some of the cargo room under the bed. Little bit of re-wiring but it moves the batteries way back off the tongue, brings the batteries inside where it's warmer and gives me space where the battery box is currently for my stinky slinky accessories.

Whelp, inspected the trailer since today was the first time we've had real rain since buying it, and of course I found a leak. Goddamnit. Luckily it's just a drip through the skylight over the tub, of all places to spring a leak that's not horrible. It's supposed to be in the 80s for most of the week so I think it'll dry out by the time I can get up there and find/fix it. Dicor ordered, need to get up there and measure for vent covers and solar panels anyway.

While I was in there, I spent some time measuring and I have a weird nook under the bed that'll fit up to 4 100AH AGMs perfectly, but just a touch narrow to fit 200AH units. Unfortunately it's not as cost effective, so I have to decide if I want to give up some of the cargo room under the bed. Little bit of re-wiring but it moves the batteries way back off the tongue, brings the batteries inside where it's warmer and gives me space where the battery box is currently for my stinky slinky accessories.
Be careful about moving center of gravity aft...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Fun with RV electronics - we're trying to chase down a gremlin in our house battery system. We just got two new Fall River AGM batteries and things seemed fine at first, but now we're not getting proper charging when driving. We can't run the fridge on DC without it drawing down the batteries, which sucks. We'll start with 13.1 or so, drive 4 or 5 hours with the fridge on, and be down to 12.4 or lower on arrival. Alternator was tested and seems just fine, so now we're on the hunt. Open to any suggestions. Hoping it's just a short or something easy. Would love to upgrade to lithium but it's not worth the cash and loss of space in the cabin (batteries are currently in a cage under the floor). Yay.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
How is the camper wired to the truck? To run DC on the fridge and not kill the batteries you can't use the trailer plug as the 14 gage wires will not flow enough power to offset the drain of the fridge on the system. On my camper I have an 8 ga wire running off the truck battery through a 50 amp relay and a battery isolater directly to the camper harness. That lets me run the fridge on DC and charge the house batteries

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
What Eric said, trailer plugs don’t do much to charge a trailer battery, sounds as though you’re just drawing more than you’re supplying.

But, did it work previously? If so it shouldn’t have changed, and it’s time to break out the multimeter and figure out what’s going on.