Quantcast

Campers

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
We bought the Northern tool brand generator. Super quiet (quieter than my FIL Yamaha), runs everything (including our small side mount AC) & less than half the cost of the Yamaha (which is much less than the Honda).

We bought the Northern tool brand generator. Super quiet (quieter than my FIL Yamaha), runs everything (including our small side mount AC) & less than half the cost of the Yamaha (which is much less than the Honda).
How many VA? This would definitely phase II for me.

Got VIN confirmed today, which was a joke - inspector was the police chief of [x], who knows me, he never looked at the numbers on the trailer. State inspection was similar and cursory.

Have to look at Ascutney and see if they have a trailer slot open.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Got VIN confirmed today, which was a joke - inspector was the police chief of [x], who knows me, he never looked at the numbers on the trailer. State inspection was similar and cursory.
White privilege, eh? :ducksandruns:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Old white dude privilege is astounding. Pistol with fifteen shot clip and a round in the chamber in Massachusetts? No problem.
That would have been a Project Exile rap for me whether it was or not...

I looked at a RPod today. It smelled like Vomit and Cigarettes inside.... Nope...

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
How many VA? This would definitely phase II for me.

Have to look at Ascutney and see if they have a trailer slot open.
You should be able to park the camper on the lean-to site. Ours is good for a trailer to 20' according to the website.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I had a 100% piece of crap pop up from 2005 to 2013, got it for free and gave it away. Bought a 2007 Starcraft in 2013. It was an upgrade, bigger, heat, tiny fridge, didn't leak, didn't smell like big foot's dick and had running water. We sold that a few months ago and bought a 2006 Starcraft antiqua 215sb. It is awesome! Sleeps the kids, heat, ac, huge fridge and freezer ect ect. I also can put my bikes and the kids bikes right inside. Will be getting a receiver on the rear bumper for my hitch rack which was not an option with the dumb pop ups.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I checked to make sure we could park with Dana and it said trailers up to 20' on a leanto site are fine. Most camp grounds will let a trailer under 20' park on a tent site.

This is the generator we got. It was on sale when we got it so it was under $500 & free shipping. Came super fast and we've had great luck with it so far.

Yet another day spent working on the R-Pod. It's finally to the point at which I believe that it's ready for its first trip as a functioning camper.

Haven't really completed considerations as to what kit should be in it - as little as possible would be the theme.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Wouldn't it be cheaper and more comfortable to use the money spent on buying/stocking/maintaining a camper on nights in a Holiday Inn Express?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I find it peculiar that a camper with a fairly substantial 12 VDC storage and distribution system has zero cigarette-style outlets.
Just look at cars its only until recently that you started seeing more a good amount of power outlets and even later the got in gear to install USB outlets for power.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Wouldn't it be cheaper and more comfortable to use the money spent on buying/stocking/maintaining a camper on nights in a Holiday Inn Express?
no meth made in the coffee maker, no ho body spuge from previous occupants in the bed, no bed bugs, no loud fuckers in the next room. and the option of getting out of bed in the forest and going for a ride, hike or fishing without driving anywhere. plus your own kitchen with food and beer of your choice.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
no meth made in the coffee maker, no ho body spuge from previous occupants in the bed, no bed bugs, no loud fuckers in the next room. and the option of getting out of bed in the forest and going for a ride, hike or fishing without driving anywhere. plus your own kitchen with food and beer of your choice.
You can make meth in a coffee maker? I have a Koreag. Does it come in a KCup?

Last edited:

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I am using a big truck battery I got at Home Depot. I needed one and that was fast and easy and relatively cheap. I take it home with me, and keep the battery on my bench. I store my camper at my office in its house. My battery gets put on the charger from time to time to keep it from going dead. Lasted me a few years so far and can go at least five days if I'm good on saving power. Check your tow vehicle, my f150 came with a relay or fuse that made it so it charges the battery through the connector. Wouldn't charge it before that.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Both batteries in my rig are marine starting/deep cycle. From what I can tell, they ought to be flooded lead acid house batteries. What are you using and why?
Right now I've got a single Marine/RV deep cycle. I'll be upgrading at some point to a set of four 6v deep cycles in parallel/series for 12v. Won't really gain any additional amperage over a pair of 12v batteries, but the plates in the 6v batteries are thicker from what I've read, which translates into longer battery life.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Gotcha. Yeah, the T105 looks like a good battery. I needed to get something in my rig before NEMBAFest and didn't have a ton of time to research, so went as quick and easy as I could at the time.

Finally, with the assistance of a cheater plug, got the R-Pod on shore power today. Everything seems to be working.

Edit:

Want to get a city water pressure regulator and a surge protector for the AC feed - looking to avoid anything that would allow an external supply to cause major damage within - burst pipes or fried electrical equipment.

Last edited:
Got to exploring today and found access panel under mattress that allows access to back end of water heater and the water pump. I guess that I should not be too surprised that when I start to explore these hidden spaces there's all sorts of evidence of hurried construction with little attention to maintainability.

I've been installing hinges on these panels and latches to hold them open when working, vacuuming out sawdust and miscellaneous debris, and taking copious notes on observations.

I have some electrics I want to add, but wire routing's going to be a bitch. A lot of this exploration was initiated by my wish to install a voltmeter.