Quantcast

Campers

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
My guess is that unless you want to take apart half of the interior, you're going to end up going a similar route as me. Find a relatively out of the way path inside to route the new wiring, make as few holes in the body as necessary and use the frame to guide most of the wiring along the outside.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
poke around with a high intensity flashlight looking for water damage around all windows, vents, skylights, marker lights. Lift up the mattress and check for mold or stained wood. Water leaks usually indicate rot and lots of reparative work. Look under sinks, storage compartments etc. run all appliances on battery and on 120. If the stuff other that the AC or Microwave cannot operate on battery power you are looking at an RV resort pavement queen. Can you hook up a small generator like a honda 2000 or how hard would it be to install 2 100 wat solar panels on the roof to allow you to remote camp and have lights and heat. lastly how big is the battery compartment. Can it firt only one or can it fit 2 group 24, 27 or 31 deep cycle batteries. Check underneath for frame corrosion, tire cracking and trailer brake function.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Craigslist. buy used. My camper cost 38k new I got it with two years of use for $20k You can probably find one in great condition for about the same markdown %
:stupid:

The wife and I have been looking for a while. We originally were looking at some pretty big ones, but with my daughter being 16, it will likely be the 2 of us 90% of the time. We want something small enough to tow with my truck now, but big enough to live in for a week without killing each other. The goal is to drop somewhere in the gorge as a hide-a-way but be able to take it places when needed.

We are looking for something slightly larger, but now the wife is considering a mobile office/get-a-way so we could end up with a toy hauler with removable dentists chair, or just get rid of the dinning area with a slide out side.

<edit> This one is close to what I want. With either a fold up rear deck for motos, or the front deck.

Last edited:
:stupid:

The wife and I have been looking for a while. We originally were looking at some pretty big ones, but with my daughter being 16, it will likely be the 2 of us 90% of the time. We want something small enough to tow with my truck now, but big enough to live in for a week without killing each other. The goal is to drop somewhere in the gorge as a hide-a-way but be able to take it places when needed.

We are looking for something slightly larger, but now the wife is considering a mobile office/get-a-way so we could end up with a toy hauler with removable dentists chair, or just get rid of the dinning area with a slide out side.

<edit> This one is close to what I want. With either a fold up rear deck for motos, or the front deck.

If I got a toy hauler, I would not be wanting to haul the toys exposed to selective theft and the elements.

I'm still making minor changes/upgrades to the RPT-171. The next will probably be a battery monitor, which will involve rejiggering battery mounting and wiring.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't like the toy haulers we've looked at where the motos are stored inside. This gives you a party deck as well as a transport area. It's no less secure than my flat bed trailer I use to haul the motos on now. But I put my bike and all the gear in the bed of the truck, the 2 quads go on my folding 4x8 trailer and I have room for little else.

Post up some pics of the upgrades.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Every used trailer I have looked at from Craigslist has been disgusting. Every used trailer from a dealer has been slightly less disgusting but expensive.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
My trailer came off of the ball hitch going over a frost heave. Horrific sound. Did surprisingly little damage...but let this be a reminder to close that little safety latch, kids! Luckily I was alone or wifey would have freaked out...

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Once I let someone else change the ball out on a hitch, it was the dudes trailer I was borrowing and he really wanted to do it. Started hearing a weird noise in los angles it was midnight so just kept going to San Diego. When we got in at 2am found the nut had fallen of the ball stud. Can't believe that trailer didn't fall off. I found a tweaker with a replacement by the race track. He was washing his car outside a machine shop at 2am. He didn't talk at all, only grunted. Got the car loaded and rolled out by 4am. Let this be a lesson, always tighten, check, tie down and do your own shit when hauling. If your driving its your ass on the line.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I still need to read this entire thread, but a slide-in truck camper is something I think I want in my life. Maybe. I saw this one over on Expedition Portal and it's drool worthy. Dude has it sitting in an 8' box but the dimensions would be perfect for my 6-1/2' Tundra. Older, but he did a nice job with a simple remodel and from the sounds of it the camper was babied for the first 30+ years of it's life.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/161729-FOR-SALE-1983-Four-Seasons-slide-in-pop-up-camper-for-full-size-truck

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
YES. I can't even imagine how slow that must be.

That is awesome.
If it's geared right it would be very kick ass. I know the diesel Hilux's I checked out in AU straight hauled ass and with the amount of torque they put out, even with a full camper I met it would still move. A petrol version would be painful, though. :rofl: