Quantcast

Campers

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Here's the 4 way shot. The rear is supposed to have sight lines, but oh well. If it goes out of frame, it's a foot away from my back bumper.

IMG_20200525_145855.jpg

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Does anyone have any recommendations on a cassette toilet (or other options for pooping while car camping)

I want to grab my favorite God spot on Cliff Point (here) when our campgrounds reopen.

View attachment 145448

To avoid the vault toilet a groover would be nice addition to our camping kit and I was thinking about something like this:
View attachment 145449+View attachment 145450

Sometime in the next year (when the buyers of our Idaho family house settle up for the adjacent empty lot) I'm hoping to take 1/2 of my real estate "winnings" and invest in a (dirtbag) camper van set up so I can hard sided camp at the my favorite (grizzly-friendly) trailheads along the CDT

I''m visualizing something like this (but in a used / affordable promaster)

View attachment 145451

So I don't mind spending a little more up front for the pooper to save on the "back end" as it were ;)
Cleanwaste Portable Toilet w/ 1 Waste Kit (D119PET)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TKGAKO/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_S6fZEbWJEP3ZQ

Wife and I have one of these for camping. Just poop in the bag, seal it up, and throw it away. No odor and you can #2 as many times as you have bags.

Also have one of these:

Thetford 92860 Porta Potti 135

Great for the pees, not sure how many or if I'd want to doodie in it though.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Does anyone have any recommendations on a cassette toilet (or other options for pooping while car camping)

I want to grab my favorite God spot on Cliff Point (here) when our campgrounds reopen.

View attachment 145448

To avoid the vault toilet a groover would be nice addition to our camping kit and I was thinking about something like this:
View attachment 145449+View attachment 145450

Sometime in the next year (when the buyers of our Idaho family house settle up for the adjacent empty lot) I'm hoping to take 1/2 of my real estate "winnings" and invest in a (dirtbag) camper van set up so I can hard sided camp at the my favorite (grizzly-friendly) trailheads along the CDT

I''m visualizing something like this (but in a used / affordable promaster)

So I don't mind spending a little more up front for the pooper to save on the "back end" as it were ;)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I moved the back tank bracket down on the passenger side so the tank sits flush and is tilted 1/2" down on that side. I had mounted the back flush, hence the small gap on the front corner. The feed tube is on that side.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've been looking at a recirculating shower for a while now and I think I might have something. The only question is pressure. Looking at a 4 stage filter with UV light and 5 gallon tank with heater. Wouldn't have hot/cold, just "heated".

The goal is 2 good showers per trip. I really think it's feasible, so I hope to have it testing in a month. I've reached out to a few filter manufacturers with some questions, so I'm waiting to hear back.

The Showerloop is bad ass, but it's also like $1500. Mine is $150. :rofl:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
In the year plus we lived out of our camper, I think I only used the shower twice. It was an exercise in futility attempting to contort myself around the bathroom to make it happen, and I'm not even that tall/large. But @eric strt6 has it down, you just have to turn the shower head on/off while showering and you really cut down on the volume of water used.

Unless you are getting super dirty, rolling around in the muck, or staying out for a lengthy amount of time, I'd stick to baby wipes.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
In the year plus we lived out of our camper, I think I only used the shower twice. It was an exercise in futility attempting to contort myself around the bathroom to make it happen, and I'm not even that tall/large. But @eric strt6 has it down, you just have to turn the shower head on/off while showering and you really cut down on the volume of water used.

Unless you are getting super dirty, rolling around in the muck, or staying out for a lengthy amount of time, I'd stick to baby wipes.
That my friend is why my camper has a dry bath. no toilet to navigate around its like a small but normal shower stall.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
We've got one of those hand showers off the back of our van. It's fine if needed and yeah, we conserve our water like Eric. Normally though, when on the road we prefer jumping in the closest river, lake, ocean, etc.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I doubt we will use it all that much and I am all too familiar with Navy showers. I just think it would be nice to not have to think about it, just take a shower. My normal shower is sub 5 minutes, so that's only 10 gallons, or 4 recycled a couple times. If I can do it for under $200, I think it makes for a cool feature at least. :D

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Behold this plywood masterpiece. Wife said it looked like a bay window on the passenger side.
20200606_122536.jpg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Camper mounted back in the bed of our truck for the first time this year after winterizing it back in October. Water lines purged of anti-freeze, battery plugged back in.

I guess we should go camping.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So I got the heater ghetto rigged to make sure it works. I need to run larger wires because the start up process is a huge draw. To test it I tapped into the 14awg wires I ran for the water pump. It drops from 13.4v to 10.8 and shuts off before it finishes ignition. I ran some wires from the fuse box and was able to get it to fire. Looks like I need to find some 12awg wires :rofl:

The Afterburner controller is nice. The stock one is garbage.

IMG_20200609_120658.jpg

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Holy hell, this heater is awesome. The Afterburner was soooo worth it. The stock controller is no help and gives zero info. This thing gives me all sorts of stats and control. The best feature is the actual fuel usage based off pump cycles. Still a little torn on tapping the fuel tank vs a frame mounted setup. There is a 5.5L that would fit perfect and give me about 40hrs runtime.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just one small patch of snow to drive through to get to Georgia Pass, but plenty of snow up there, couldn't get to the CT from that point and our hike up to French Pass was stopped a mile short by deep snow.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
@6thElement how does the pop up life compare to a mere tent now that you’ve spent some time with it?
Queen size bed, hot water for cleaning stuff, washing or shower, comfortable seating from the elements if the weather turns bad or too hot or too many bugs and happily warm enough with the heater like the last couple of nights when it was 27F overnight outside. :)

At 6'2" I'm spoiled by our california king at home, but I know getting a longer bed in campers is tough. Ours is E/W bed config and I can just fit with a couple of inches to spare, but more would be nice.

There isn''t much storage space, so we generally shuffle duffle bags or other stuff onto the back bench seat of the truck when we're in the camper. I also need to go back to my email thread with the manufacturer on how I can get a cigarette power socket wired in to the electronics that can be used for a laptop DC PSU. (Tim would have been coerced into assisting with this if he hadn't wandered back east).

*I still curse people with generators who end up somewhere near us particularly when off in unimproved campsite areas.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Queen size bed, hot water for cleaning stuff, washing or shower, comfortable seating from the elements if the weather turns bad or too hot or too many bugs and happily warm enough with the heater like the last couple of nights when it was 27F overnight outside. :)

At 6'2" I'm spoiled by our california king at home, but I know getting a longer bed in campers is tough. Ours is E/W bed config and I can just fit with a couple of inches to spare, but more would be nice.

There isn''t much storage space, so we generally shuffle duffle bags or other stuff onto the back bench seat of the truck when we're in the camper. I also need to go back to my email thread with the manufacturer on how I can get a cigarette power socket wired in to the electronics that can be used for a laptop DC PSU. (Tim would have been coerced into assisting with this if he hadn't wandered back east).

*I still curse people with generators who end up somewhere near us particularly when off in unimproved campsite areas.
Generators are the fucking worst.

By the end of our trip I was jonesing for a flatbed lined with storage boxes. A traditional bed with a truck camper wastes a lot of space.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Generators are the fucking worst.

By the end of our trip I was jonesing for a flatbed lined with storage boxes. A traditional bed with a truck camper wastes a lot of space.
And at a certain point a straight up Class C makes more sense yet, I’m guessing.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
And at a certain point a straight up Class C makes more sense yet, I’m guessing.
It depends how off the beaten path you're looking to go, plenty of spots we've been too required the ground clearance and 4-low. Thankfully I haven't needed the rear locker yet :D

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Except a Class C is a Class C 100% of the time. With a flatbed or utility bed, you can take the camper off and still have the utility of a pickup truck. Well, that and you can carry the camper from truck to truck. Besides, unless you get that Class C converted to 4x4, your access will be limited.

Class C makes more sense for a crew like yours.