Quantcast

Campers

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
FTFY. There are a number of well made travel trailers out there, you just have to have $100,000+ to spend on them.
^This exactly. There's a reason the people who are on the road constantly aren't rolling around in stuff like Jaycos, Wolf Pups or my Apex.

People bitch about the quality of trailers/RVs, but then bitch about the cost of the good ones. What drives quality is consumer demand, when people want a 8'x9'x20' house on wheels for $27,500, some corners are necessarily going to get cut. Back in the pre-Covid times there were always massive price cuts on trailers, so the real price of a small travel trailer was more like $23-24k, back out about a grand for shipping, dealer set-up costs, dealer profit, and manufacturer profit and they're building these things for like $10-12k. If you go into that expecting it to last a lifetime of bouncing around on our shitty pot-holed freeways, you're an idiot.

40-50 trips is about all we're expecting out of ours, then we'll sell it for whatever it's worth and buy a new one that meets our needs for the next few years.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I got into back yard casting for a bit. Made some shift knobs and some other crap. You can melt aluminum with charcoal briquettes. One time me and a buddy poured a bunch of molten aluminum in a fire ant hole a d dug it up. It was kinda neat. I did not tell those ants they were built not bought.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Suggestions on what might be wrong with the burners in our camper, they light, but as soon as you try to release the knob they go out.

Never had problems before.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
i guess euros have more faith in tacoma/hilux

View attachment 165280
The Hilux, while similarly sized to the Tacoma, is a vastly different platform. The Tacoma is a westernized version of the Hilux with softer suspension, a more compliant frame, and a more posh interior. It's designed to provide a comfortable ride over smoothish roads with little loads.

The Hilux has ~50% more payload and is designed to service areas of the world where rugged and durable trump all else. Its got the suspension, brakes, and frame to handle it. A camper on a Hilux is a much less ridiculous idea.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The Hilux, while similarly sized to the Tacoma, is a vastly different platform. The Tacoma is a westernized version of the Hilux with softer suspension, a more compliant frame, and a more posh interior. It's designed to provide a comfortable ride over smoothish roads with little loads.

The Hilux has ~50% more payload and is designed to service areas of the world where rugged and durable trump all else. Its got the suspension, brakes, and frame to handle it. A camper on a Hilux is a much less ridiculous idea.
timely

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
The Euros also have far fewer f250s upon which to base their campers, and are connected to more continents on which the Hilux is ubiquitous.

Best truck available in your country, plus bountiful spare parts anywhere you go makes the hilux a pretty solid choice assuming you live on any continent other than one of the Americas.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

A lot of people in Europe build campers on a 70 séries Land Cruiser base. Busch taxi is a good peep into that world.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Got to drive my buddy’s new Hilux in Peru, on some outrageous semi private crazy ass roads, the thing took everything like a champ, at any speed. But he did some popular suspension and braking mods anyway. Totally stock looking, complete sleeper.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I was sipping tea with my pinkie out while mowing over campesino sheep, dogs and children. Does that paint an evocative picture? Don’t worry, we threw some new bootstraps out for everyone as we passed.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Suggestions on what might be wrong with the burners in our camper, they light, but as soon as you try to release the knob they go out.

Never had problems before.
I would try holding it on longer. Then check tank levels. If it’s all the knobs/burners I would think they wouldn’t all fail at once so look at the regulator maybe, is it switchable between tanks? Switch to the other tank. Could be flow so check for a kink or something smashing the line.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I would try holding it on longer. Then check tank levels. If it’s all the knobs/burners I would think they wouldn’t all fail at once so look at the regulator maybe, is it switchable between tanks? Switch to the other tank. Could be flow so check for a kink or something smashing the line.
It's a two burner stovetop, both have the same issue. I've tried holding them on once lit for longer, no difference. They both go out as soon as you release the knob. Tank is pretty full AFAIK. I'll double-check the line just in case something has some how pressed against it.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Can you set the stove to "high" and light it with a match?

The "Ignite" position should bypass the stove's regular regulator, making it easier to light, before you pivot it over to the flame control bit of it. If you can't light it with a match, your stove regulator may be shot, but it may just be a safety feature acting up. Some have a flow detector cut-off where they shut-off completely if a minor leak is detected, basically a spring kind of a thing that needs at least enough propane to sustain a flame to stay open. Those usually reset if the whole system is depressurized for a bit, try that, if that doesn't work it may be new regulator time.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Sounds like a bad thermocouple, if you have one. Is there a flame sensing bulb somewhere what is really filthy? Maybe something just needs a good cleanin.