Quantcast

Campers

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I don’t even turn my propane off when I refuel. It’s like 20 feet away, 4 feet up and outside. Gas vapor is heavy and settles anyways. Thousands refueling daily with out shutting propane off and not burning campers up. Of course I try not to have the camper next to a dummy splashing gas everywhere.

my truck had a fuse for the charging circuit on the trailer connector. Trailer lights worked without it and supposedly it made more amps available. Maybe the trailer has a fuse. But that is a long thin wire for runnning a fridge and charging two batteries.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Thanks guys. Should have clarified that this is a Sprinter camper that was built out by Van Specialties in Oregon. (Bought it used so I don't have the same level of familiarity with the electrical system as I would if I had DIY'd it.) There's no trailer connection and the system worked just fine in the past. It's a 3-way Dometic fridge that runs off DC when the motor's running, AC when connected to shore power, and propane when off-grid. There's a simple solenoid to isolate the van battery and that was also checked and determined to be fine when I had the alternator checked, so yeah, need to chase down the problem further down the line. I've checked fuses and didn't see any issues, but will check again.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I don’t even turn my propane off when I refuel. It’s like 20 feet away, 4 feet up and outside. Gas vapor is heavy and settles anyways. Thousands refueling daily with out shutting propane off and not burning campers up. Of course I try not to have the camper next to a dummy splashing gas everywhere.

my truck had a fuse for the charging circuit on the trailer connector. Trailer lights worked without it and supposedly it made more amps available. Maybe the trailer has a fuse. But that is a long thin wire for runnning a fridge and charging two batteries.
Tbh, I fueled up plenty of times too without turning off my fridge. Granted, some portion of that was all by myself off on the diesel fuel island, so not as big a deal, but even still. Haven't blown up, yet!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeesh. My fridge is pretty close to the gas (diesel) cap. Not too interested in having an open flame at the pump, and even if I were comfortable driving with the propane on, I prefer to save my propane for the cooktop and the fridge when off-grid. I've never had an issue with running it off DC until now, the system's designed to work that way. But hey, you guys do you.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Most of the automotive plants I used to visit had RVs in the parking lots so dudes could pay for a chance at an STD on their breaks.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I miss the oil filter location for the Ford 6.0 diesel It was on top of the engine. you unscrewed the cap, the filter came with it and the dirty oil drained into the sump. The 6.7 has it underneath and when you unscrew it oil flows all over it. Damn thing squirted out of my hand and rolled from one side of the truck to the other spilling dirty oil. A bag of Kittly litter and a bottle of citrus degreaser and the concrete is cleaned up

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have access to my friends trailer. I have it parked at my buddies camp. I had to fix the heater and replaced a gas hose. The step has rotted off and I built a step out of wood. The fiberglass hood over the battery and Gas Bottle has rotted away and will need to be replaced as the Handle came off in my hand. The fridge works but smells weird. The heater works to well. I like it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I have access to my friends trailer. I have it parked at my buddies camp. I had to fix the heater and replaced a gas hose. The step has rotted off and I built a step out of wood. The fiberglass hood over the battery and Gas Bottle has rotted away and will need to be replaced as the Handle came off in my hand. The fridge works but smells weird. The heater works to well. I like it.

Listen here motherfucker.........

Nice avatar :cupidarrow:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
taco

zilla

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
taco

zilla

It needs that snorkel so you can easily flood the shit out of the camper.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
taco

zilla

If you told me the camper was built in DDR 50 years ago, I would believe you.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
So the trailer is about 40 years old. It will never be road worthy. My buddy has a trailer and if I need to move it I can. I got stick on vinyl flooring to replace the floor. It was incomplete and nasty. I got my grandpa bar and went at it. Took about a hour as the pieces shattered into small pieces. After I was done I cleaned up threw the flooring in a Garbage can. My friends father noticed the flooring looked like Asbestos stuff called bakelite. Or he thinks it is. I had it all over my arms and pants. Why the Fuck would they use asbestos in a camper? I wore a mask just because of the smell of the Mastic that held the tiles in place. I cannot attach the tiles to the mastic now either.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
So the trailer is about 40 years old. It will never be road worthy. My buddy has a trailer and if I need to move it I can. I got stick on vinyl flooring to replace the floor. It was incomplete and nasty. I got my grandpa bar and went at it. Took about a hour as the pieces shattered into small pieces. After I was done I cleaned up threw the flooring in a Garbage can. My friends father noticed the flooring looked like Asbestos stuff called bakelite. Or he thinks it is. I had it all over my arms and pants. Why the Fuck would they use asbestos in a camper? I wore a mask just because of the smell of the Mastic that held the tiles in place. I cannot attach the tiles to the mastic now either.
Bakelite isn’t asbestos, it is an old (actually the first) synthetic plastic. It tends to be brittle with age. It’s what nearly all old telephones were made of.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Kind of doubt the floor was Bakelite, that’s more of a hard plastic, think of an old car’s steering wheel or a telephone.

The floor could be old linoleum, which may actually have asbestos in it. Lots of old linoleum did, hell they put that shit in everything they could for a while. Fire retardant materials make a lot of sense for a camper.

Generally you’ll see the fibers from asbestos when breaking down old linoleum, but not always. Chances are if you let only doing the one camper and wore as mask it’s nothing to worry about, just make sure you dispose of the shit in tied up, thick garbage bags. Long term exposure will get you though, so vacuum out all that dust with a fresh filter in the shop vac, and wear an n95 or better mask while you do

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Just drive with the windows open.

also the black/dark brown glue had asbestos in it so watch out for that.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Kind of doubt the floor was Bakelite, that’s more of a hard plastic, think of an old car’s steering wheel or a telephone.

The floor could be old linoleum, which may actually have asbestos in it. Lots of old linoleum did, hell they put that shit in everything they could for a while. Fire retardant materials make a lot of sense for a camper.

Generally you’ll see the fibers from asbestos when breaking down old linoleum, but not always. Chances are if you let only doing the one camper and wore as mask it’s nothing to worry about, just make sure you dispose of the shit in tied up, thick garbage bags. Long term exposure will get you though, so vacuum out all that dust with a fresh filter in the shop vac, and wear an n95 or better mask while you do
I can get rid of it properly and will. Kind of pissed I had to get rid of my Burton Coat. We are cutting out and replacing the Mastic covered floors. My friend Adam seems up for the task. Precautions will be implemented. Went to Lowes and bought a new Vac. Its a shame as I have had the same Craftsmen one for like 15 years.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
taco

zilla

I think the frame on a Tacoma would need some reinforcing to carry that much weight, right?

The 80 series Land Cruiser with the solid front axle would be a nice starting point.

1636256267751.jpeg

Or for those who like to cut up new trucks..

1636256473074.jpeg

I’d probably go for a 70 series though if I had to have a 200k camper.

1636256570972.jpeg