Quantcast

Campers

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Cramped as hell and you'll have to do the usual check and fix everything. Electric tongue jack is one more thing to go wrong.
any new RV these days are shit but the floorplan fits my specific needs and it isn't a forest river. granted I can fix anything and mod the shit out of it to make it a bit better but its under 4k gvw and is reasonably priced for what it is at 22k

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
any new RV these days are shit but the floorplan fits my specific needs and it isn't a forest river. granted I can fix anything and mod the shit out of it to make it a bit better but its under 4k gvw and is reasonably priced for what it is at 22k
Planning to tow it with the Gladiator? That thing got enough grunt and brakes to tow through the mountains?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
What’s the beef with Forest River?

Looked at these when we bought our Apex and ultimately the wife’s desire for a slide out won out, but the larger garage seems like a huge plus in terms of second motorcycle, generator or just extra crap storage, plus room for full sized humans to crash if you need it

I don’t think my 194 is quite what you’d want but I’m tempted to sell it and snag a Class C Sprinter/Econoline based RV now that the kiddo is a bit bigger I think it may make weekend camping easier.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
What’s the beef with Forest River?

Looked at these when we bought our Apex and ultimately the wife’s desire for a slide out won out, but the larger garage seems like a huge plus in terms of second motorcycle, generator or just extra crap storage, plus room for full sized humans to crash if you need it

I don’t think my 194 is quite what you’d want but I’m tempted to sell it and snag a Class C Sprinter/Econoline based RV now that the kiddo is a bit bigger I think it may make weekend camping easier.
Forest river has by far the most recalls, lawsuits, and faulty manufacturing defects of any brand in the industry. I follow a couple of class action law firms on Facebook that deal with nothing but RV recalls and the industry in a whole and forest river has been in the limelight for the last 10 years or so and even more in the last 4 due to them pumping out shoddy rigs during the covid years. After living in RV parks for the last couple of years I have seen some atrocities with forest river products in nearly every park I have visited. Granted, most are typical with RV use but only after several years of use or tens of thousands of miles. I've seen everything from suspension failures to windows falling out and tanks dropping on the highway. I think you would be very smart to offload and get into a van for sure. The resell value will never get better than it is right now.

Been following these guys for a couple years now and the trends are staggering https://rvlemonlaw.com/category/recalls/

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Chinook is made in Yakima... you gonna find one in your neck of the woods or make your way to ol Yakistan for pick up? They make some cool vans...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wife and I are looking to change from our pickup and truck camper to a van. I'd love to find a secondhand bargain, but they're all silly expensive and there aren't many with a north/south bed design.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Forest river has by far the most recalls, lawsuits, and faulty manufacturing defects of any brand in the industry. I follow a couple of class action law firms on Facebook that deal with nothing but RV recalls and the industry in a whole and forest river has been in the limelight for the last 10 years or so and even more in the last 4 due to them pumping out shoddy rigs during the covid years. After living in RV parks for the last couple of years I have seen some atrocities with forest river products in nearly every park I have visited. Granted, most are typical with RV use but only after several years of use or tens of thousands of miles. I've seen everything from suspension failures to windows falling out and tanks dropping on the highway. I think you would be very smart to offload and get into a van for sure. The resell value will never get better than it is right now.

Been following these guys for a couple years now and the trends are staggering https://rvlemonlaw.com/category/recalls/
Well if you saw the meth heads that build a forest River, you would run. And run fast. That place is a shit show. :fie:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
GFF one of the reasons I went with a truck camper was for the 4x4 on the truck and the ability to tow. Now that we switched to a camper with slide outs I will have to see how that mechanism holds up, but room wise it's spacious and the camper is touted as 4 season. Lance 1062. I have a buddy that Flat tows his jeep and some others that pull enclosed trailers with flopped axles containing Motos and Mt Bikes

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013

Thanks for posting this! I have a 2021 Forrest River and purposely went with a trailer that has less options. Like no slides, etc. We have about 15 trips in ours so far, mostly 10-12 days long, but there was one 21 day trip. Granted the campground we love is only 66 miles away, but so far so good. I will say, that ive done a LOT of "fixing" little things.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
GFF one of the reasons I went with a truck camper was for the 4x4 on the truck and the ability to tow. Now that we switched to a camper with slide outs I will have to see how that mechanism holds up, but room wise it's spacious and the camper is touted as 4 season. Lance 1062. I have a buddy that Flat tows his jeep and some others that pull enclosed trailers with flopped axles containing Motos and Mt Bikes
My moms boyfriend (ya go ahead) has had Lance Rigs for years with no real issues. They recently bought a new F350 with a Lance camper and have had zero issues.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
My situation literally revolves around the jeep and moto lifestyle and I have gotten to a point where those trips and experiences trump the RV priorities as far as size and capabilities. There isn't much out there that can be towed via the gladiator and still haul the moto so I am pretty stuck with the Chinook dream hauler. If I went to a pickup and a crawler hauler or even a bigger toy hauler I would still have the same dilemma of needing more than a 30 amp service and not being able to get back into the more remote places I need to.

With a smaller rig I can outfit it with solar and still boondock till I run out of water then move to another location. This is what I am going for. It literally has nothing to do with cost, or comfort honestly.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Thanks for posting this! I have a 2021 Forrest River and purposely went with a trailer that has less options. Like no slides, etc. We have about 15 trips in ours so far, mostly 10-12 days long, but there was one 21 day trip. Granted the campground we love is only 66 miles away, but so far so good. I will say, that ive done a LOT of "fixing" little things.
If they aren't being used full-time or abused they generally do very well but if they sit in the sun the membrane roofs will fail pretty quick and the more they travel the looser everything gets. Its just the nature of the beast. No RV is impervious to issues or repairs just some are constructed better and the price directly reflects that.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Had the truck into the shop for a coolant change ( this diesel has two systems) belt and brake inspection (no problems) . While I had the camper off I washed the truck roof and also got the ladder out and used wet bounce dryer sheets and a towel to clean all the dead bugs off the camper nose.

20221022_133326.jpg

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Had the truck into the shop for a coolant change ( this diesel has two systems) belt and brake inspection (no problems) . While I had the camper off I washed the truck roof and also got the ladder out and used wet bounce dryer sheets and a towel to clean all the dead bugs off the camper nose.

View attachment 183635
That number plate.... :rofl:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
nice 15 minute install. vent cover that lets me keep the roof vent open in bad weather for ventilation and while driving down the road to air the camper out. It attaches to the side of the existing roof vent so no holes need to be made into the camper roof.
20221023_102447.jpg
20221023_102539.jpg

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have been letting my friends from Pittsburgh stay at my camp. The state police called and said they found my Gator in my neighbor's driveway. They ran out of gas and just left it there. I went and got gas and drove it home. My neighbors followed me back to the camp. And then gave me a ride back to car. Nice guys. I was expecting the camp to be trashed. It wasn't. Clean as a whistle. Fridge was filled with food and beer. In one night, they burned a pile of brush that I was only able to halve over a year.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Walls are back in and the new floor has been cut to shape. The wife did a nice job with the paint on the bed and cabinets. Way better than the white primer. I have some clean up on the floor before I glue the new down.

PXL_20221030_180311655~3.jpg