Quantcast

Campers

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Never had any issues with stuff freezing in the fridge of our camper, regardless of the outside temp. Kept it on and nomming propane 24/7 for 1.5 years with no issues.
My campers have always had the fridge turned on for the past 14 ears all the way down to -5F once you hit the low set point it stops trying to cool and unless you are going to let the camp drop down to -30F the fridge insulation is going to keep things from freezing

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
OK, so I have been searching, but thought I would ask the collective. Looking for a wireless backup camera system, with a monitor that replaces the rear view mirror (Chevy Silverado, 2020).
Hoping to find something with long enough range that it will work on the back of our (18’) camping trailer as well, that seems to be hard to find. (That comes with said replacement rear view mirror).
Hoping to make a mount system so I just have to move it from the back of the camper to the back of my topper when not towing. (You can’t see through the glass of the topper, so this system would replace the rear view mirror entirely. )

Anyone know a thing about this, or have better Google- Fu?
Thanks in advance!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
OK, so I have been searching, but thought I would ask the collective. Looking for a wireless backup camera system, with a monitor that replaces the rear view mirror (Chevy Silverado, 2020).
Hoping to find something with long enough range that it will work on the back of our (18’) camping trailer as well, that seems to be hard to find. (That comes with said replacement rear view mirror).
Hoping to make a mount system so I just have to move it from the back of the camper to the back of my topper when not towing. (You can’t see through the glass of the topper, so this system would replace the rear view mirror entirely. )

Thanks in advance!
@eric strt6 to the white courtesy phone please.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego

Thanks in advance!

Says it has a 100 meter range.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
That is really close to perfect, for sure. Ideally we are looking for something that uses the whole mirror, essentially a replica of what the full mirror looks like, but with a camera. But that would certainly work. It does seem suspiciously inexpensive, though, I would have expected something very high quality to be around $300 or so.
Thanks for the suggestion, it will probably be the best option.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I didn’t see that it was just a square. I added repeater to the search, that unit calls it a transmitter. I’m sure what you want exists. It’s just finding it. Could you just mount the screen elsewhere? Seems there is more options that way.

Personally I would just do two units and have a totally separate one for the camper. Because new truck or someone else’s truck. If it wasn’t wireless you could get crazy making some connectors and extra wires.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Tadi Brothers top of the line great night vision, crisp images, great customer service, 70' wireless range (system can be upgraded to wire less from wired (pre purchase)

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
I like that tadi bros one has an add a second camera option.
I have a 4 camera option in my rig. Using 3 right now,

1. on the back of the camper. tilt up when not towing for rear view. tilt down for hooking up the trailer solo.
2. Back of the horse trailer for backing and lane changes on the highway
3. inside back of the horse trailer looking at the horse
4> to be installed: Ruth wants one pointed at the horses face

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Pretty sure those don’t work with toppers or behind trailers.
Not sure if a special package was required up front but they have all sorts of tricks re trailers:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Tadi Brothers top of the line great night vision, crisp images, great customer service, 70' wireless range (system can be upgraded to wire less from wired (pre purchase)

So, looked at the site, couldn’t find exactly what I am after.
Wireless
Full size mirror lcd screen
Able to move the camera from topper to back of trailer easily

Looks to me like it’s either/or, wireless with a separate monitor, or wired with the rear view mirror style monitor.
Maybe I just don’t see it?

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Not sure if a special package was required up front but they have all sorts of tricks re trailers:

Well, I am looking for it to be used primarily to replace the rear view mirror entirely, so it would have to mount somewhere on the top of the topper, as well as have a wireless camera for behind the trailer when I am using that.
Thanks for looking, we can always count on Toshi for help with consumerism! :p

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
So, looked at the site, couldn’t find exactly what I am after.
Wireless
Full size mirror lcd screen
Able to move the camera from topper to back of trailer easily

Looks to me like it’s either/or, wireless with a separate monitor, or wired with the rear view mirror style monitor.
Maybe I just don’t see it?
call them. the site says all systems can be made wireless. I would just go two camera and not worry about swapping. you can toggle between screens of go spit screen to us both cameras at the same time

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
designed by a semi-functional meth addict.
I gotta ask.......is this a thing?

We got a cabover camper built to replace an old one we use for a water sampling lab a few years ago. We have some hazmat and plumbing requirements that a 'normal' one wouldn't satisfy.

The coworker who drove to CO to pick it up came back absolutely livid over how obviously methed out everyone who worked there was. I had to set the thing up when he got back and ended up having to redo a bunch of the wiring, remounting a bunch of fixtures, and generally a bunch of shit that should have been pretty base level fabrication.

The guy who handled the acquisition said this was the 4th place he checked, the first three discounted for the same reason....scabs and twitches when he visited the 'factories.' Those were southern OR so that checks out. We got the CO company just because they'd built another one for a denver office.

I guess it's tedious repetitive work, that some daily pep would take the monotony away.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I guess it's tedious repetitive work, that some daily pep would take the monotony away.

No, that is a management problem. I have been to hundreds of factories in a variety of industries and most of the grunt work is tedious monotony yet some places created quality and others shit. To use a cliche, you are teaching it or letting it happen. I would also add that if you only pay meth-head wages you will only get meth-head workers. Corporate America wastes billions of dollars trying to pay employees the least amount possible.

When I worked pharma production almost all the factory work was mind numbingly repetitive. To avoid burning people out roles were cycled every 2 hours or so and every week a team would shift to a different area to provide a variety of tasks. Also people were paid well, those jobs were not easily replaced. It was an efficient and effective work force. Also on the grand scale of things RV assembly probably has less tedious and repetitive work than in most places. More like construction where all the houses are the same.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
No, that is a management problem. I have been to hundreds of factories in a variety of industries and most of the grunt work is tedious monotony yet some places created quality and others shit. To use a cliche, you are teaching it or letting it happen. I would also add that if you only pay meth-head wages you will only get meth-head workers. Corporate America wastes billions of dollars trying to pay employees the least amount possible.

When I worked pharma production almost all the factory work was mind numbingly repetitive. To avoid burning people out roles were cycled every 2 hours or so and every week a team would shift to a different area to provide a variety of tasks. Also people were paid well, those jobs were not easily replaced. It was an efficient and effective work force. Also on the grand scale of things RV assembly probably has less tedious and repetitive work than in most places. More like construction where all the houses are the same.
That's much less interesting than "all RV fabrication shops are a cover for moving drugs across the country"
:(

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Rich tech bros with ebikes, bro bros with brodozers and bro side by sides, and retirees?

Obviously where I live is a bit of a clouded perspective but I very much see NEW RV purchases as a luxury item.
You probably need to move to a place where people actually live and not a luxury vacation destination.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You probably need to move to a place where people actually live and not a luxury vacation destination.
Oh stop. I mentioned that because I see the upper crust a lot but that's far from a bubble I isolate myself in.

I spend more time in reno/carson city than tahoe these days. There's nothing CA resort about those towns.

Most meth heads aren't dropping 100k+ on new RVs. Or even casually on 40-50k ones. You know this.

And plenty of people 'actually live' here. The median salary is about 40% of the state average.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Oh stop. I mentioned that because I see the upper crust a lot but that's far from a bubble I isolate myself in.

I spend more time in reno/carson city than tahoe these days. There's nothing CA resort about those towns.

Most meth heads aren't dropping 100k+ on new RVs. Or even casually on 40-50k ones. You know this.

And plenty of people 'actually live' here. The median salary is about 40% of the state average.
My experience with RV owners is more of the 2nd hand market, and those folks are certainly more meth leaning than others in the same financial capabilities.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My experience with RV owners is more of the 2nd hand market.
.....but we were talking about RV fabrication shops which is new ones. Methed out fabricators don't have the link to the second hand market, they sell to first time/primary buyers.

I can promise you floridaman is quite well aware of the tertiary 'housing stock' of beat down used RVs. There are whole makeshift towns of the damn things in the desert not far from here.

Anyway, I just thought your initial comment might be an indication of something bigger that I'd seen a small part of: meth in the lightweight side panel glue industry. The first time we powered up the very expensive one we bought for work, there was smoke :rofl: