Quantcast

Camping Bike

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
The campground that we spend a lot of time at has hundreds of miles of jeep trails around it. Most of them have a TON of elevation gain. I was thinking of doing an electric conversion to my old Yeti 575. its still pretty solid, but never gets ridden.

Have any of you guys looked into what the best bang for the buck is on E conversions? Would $500 be enough $$$? I like the idea of a mid drive, but not sure it will work on the 575, and I dont really know where the battery would mount...

The bike has 100/135 wheel spacing.

IMG_2420.JPG

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The campground that we spend a lot of time at has hundreds of miles of jeep trails around it. Most of them have a TON of elevation gain. I was thinking of doing an electric conversion to my old Yeti 575. its still pretty solid, but never gets ridden.

Have any of you guys looked into what the best bang for the buck is on E conversions? Would $500 be enough $$$? I like the idea of a mid drive, but not sure it will work on the 575, and I dont really know where the battery would mount...

The bike has 100/135 wheel spacing.

View attachment 186966
That straight downtube makes it a good candidate because the motor will be higher up and out of harm’s way. The size of the battery will dictate where you can put it and if you want more range then you’ll have to put it in a backpack. What kit are you thinking of using? Bafang? The battery size and shape will make a lot of those decisions for you.

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
Thanks for the replies. I don’t have a specific kit in mind. I’m just starting to learn about what’s out there. I’ll look at bafang..

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
My understanding is that the Bafang kits are one of the best conversion kits.
They are good for the price.

The Kranked Hyperdrive kits are much nicer and a lot more powerful but much more expensive.

The CYC kits look to be pretty good too.

The mid drive forum on Endless Sphere has loads of good info on these things.

I just finished making a steel mid drive frame with a Kranked Hyperdrive and a CYC 52xl battery yesterday.

036A1F89-EF13-49CC-A84E-FAAFAF6BE1FA.jpeg

635286BD-1777-44CE-B8FD-CA8165DCBEFC.jpeg

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
They are good for the price.

The Kranked Hyperdrive kits are much nicer and a lot more powerful but much more expensive.

The CYC kits look to be pretty good too.

The mid drive forum on Endless Sphere has loads of good info on these things.

I just finished making a steel mid drive frame with a Kranked Hyperdrive and a CYC 52xl battery yesterday.

View attachment 186995

View attachment 186994
I mean, I think you’re going a couple of steps beyond… :D Great work btw…

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I mean, I think you’re going a couple of steps beyond… :D Great work btw…
Thanks! I’m very happy with how this frame building thing is working out.

@Blown240 Check out Lightning Rods mid drive motors as well. I think I would like to try one of those. I’ll make some links for you.

Good resources on this forum for e stuff
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=28&sid=a13d931874954b40077adcb5071c278e

His new IPM motors look sweet.
https://lightning-rods10.mybigcommerce.com/

CYC Motor

The Samsung 40T cells have a high discharge rate so they should be good for this style of ebike (if the bms allows). Other good cells with high discharge rates are the Samsung 25r and 30q. There are some more from Sony and Molicell but I can’t remember off the top of my head.
https://www.cycmotor.com/x-series-batteries

EM3ev batteries

You can find comparisons of cells here. You want a high discharge rate as a priority then capacity, I think…..
https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650IndividualTest UK.html

Have you considered a Sur Ron or Drill One? I say that only because from a use-ability standpoint the mid drive kit based bikes have some quirks and weaknesses. You will be severely limited by the Mtb drive train on a mid drive bike, ime. Unless your chain and cassette are in very good condition then you will have constant issues with breaking chains and skipping gears. These mid drive kits need to be babied a bit much and they are pretty expensive when all is said and done. Food for thought.

Good luck with your project!

Last edited:

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
Thanks for the info! I’m not dead set on a mid drive. I just like the idea. I’m open to a wheel motor too.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
If you need money for the project, then you know who would take that Intense frame off your hands. :D ;)

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
<<< Avatar pic is me on a borrowed M1 that's way too small for me (med I think it was). I know it got built into a ski/snow bike in later years, not sure of it's current state.

No idea what vintage it was, @iRider if you're after an M1 I can ask if he still has it and put him in touch?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
<<< Avatar pic is me on a borrowed M1 that's way too small for me (med I think it was). I know it got built into a ski/snow bike in later years, not sure of it's current state.

No idea what vintage it was, @iRider if you're after an M1 I can ask if he still has it and put him in touch?
I still have a black one like in your avatar. I think @iRider has that one too.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Thanks! I’m very happy with how this frame building thing is working out.

@Blown240 Check out Lightning Rods mid drive motors as well. I think I would like to try one of those. I’ll make some links for you.

Good resources on this forum for e stuff
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=28&sid=a13d931874954b40077adcb5071c278e

His new IPM motors look sweet.
https://lightning-rods10.mybigcommerce.com/

CYC Motor

The Samsung 40T cells have a high discharge rate so they should be good for this style of ebike (if the bms allows). Other good cells with high discharge rates are the Samsung 25r and 30q. There are some more from Sony and Molicell but I can’t remember off the top of my head.
https://www.cycmotor.com/x-series-batteries

EM3ev batteries

You can find comparisons of cells here. You want a high discharge rate as a priority then capacity, I think…..
https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650IndividualTest UK.html

Have you considered a Sur Ron or Drill One? I say that only because from a use-ability standpoint the mid drive kit based bikes have some quirks and weaknesses. You will be severely limited by the Mtb drive train on a mid drive bike, ime. Unless your chain and cassette are in very good condition then you will have constant issues with breaking chains and skipping gears. These mid drive kits need to be babied a bit much and they are pretty expensive when all is said and done. Food for thought.

Good luck with your project!
What’s your opinion on Grin Tech’s offerings?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Backpack battery, hahaha!
1672480520260.png

This thread reminded me that I was going to take my Marino on an overnighter before I chopped it up, oops, never got to use the frame bag I made for it.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Would $500 be enough $$$?
USD?
I doubt you'd manage to get anything mid drive quite that cheaply (incl battery etc.). But $500 should be enough for a wheel/hub motor conversion. All the extra weight in the hub means they're kinda horrible handling for proper mtbing but fine for just nipping around the place on. As bucko said your frame looks to have plenty room on the downtube for mounting a decent sized battery.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

surely there are battery versions nowadays ;)
Haha, I hadn't seen that, love me some Tarantula.
The noise from that would be less annoying than listening to kids playing Aussie Drill music on a speaker strapped to their bike, get off my lawn!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I still have a black one like in your avatar. I think @iRider has that one too.
Yes, I have all major later models: 99, 2001, 2003. I am looking for pre-99 stuff like the McPherson strut designs. That should be 94-95/96, after that they moved to the swing link and iterations of that version were sold until 99.
@Blown240 has something more special than that though. :fancy:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Thanks for the offer, looks like a 2002-2003 version from what I can see from the pic. I have one of those. :D