Quantcast

Camping in CO with kids

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
@SkaredShtles @Nick @Full Trucker @Toshi @Adventurous

I know half of you don't have kids, but you've surely camped where there have been kids. I was planning on doing a camping trip sometime next month with Haley and I'm looking for some help on where. I was hoping to get into the mountains or at least away from Denver. Trying for somewhere that we can ride bikes, fish, and hike. SS - You're probably the most knowledgeable on this. It will be during the week, so popularity won't be as much of an issue.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Golden Gate Canyon State Park has biking, fishing, hiking and camping. Not too far from home either if you have to abort mission.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Golden Gate Canyon State Park has biking, fishing, hiking and camping. Not too far from home either if you have to abort mission.
Also a fun introduction to 9000+ feet altitude for the family. :D

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hmmm... you looking for bandito camping? Or "semi-civilized" camping?

Stream or lake/res fishing?
It will just be Haley and me, so basically access to a bathroom is all that we need. Fishing will be pond, because I can't fly.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It will just be Haley and me, so basically access to a bathroom is all that we need. Fishing will be pond, because I can't fly.
Campgrounds up at Shadow Mountain Res would probably be good, as would the campgrounds up towards Jefferson Creek - fishing up at Jefferson Lake.

Turquoise Lake also. O'Haver Lake would be a good spot as well (a bit further afield).

I've heard good things about Steamboat Lake too.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i went camping with a friend and her kid once up near kenosha pass......after three hours friend drove down the mountain to hand the kid off to the parents....i think the brat was 5 or 6 at the time....camping with her pug, boston terrier and bulldog was easier....

if i were you....and had a suv.....stick with a hotel....and take her for a hike during the day.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i went camping with a friend and her kid once up near kenosha pass......after three hours friend drove down the mountain to hand the kid off to the parents....i think the brat was 5 or 6 at the time....camping with her pug, boston terrier and bulldog was easier....

if i were you....and had a suv.....stick with a hotel....and take her for a hike during the day.
NyQuil

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
If you can work around the bathroom, there are nice free campsites all over buff creek area, especially if pretty view, easy hikes and close to home is preferred. You can pretend to fish in the creek.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Haley's almost 5 and is not a little shit most of the time. She just needs a stuffed animal to sleep with. For her, exploration and new things are exciting and she can survive without her electronic toys. She's camped in the backyard a few times, so knows what it's like to stay in the tent. We've taken her on a couple seriously hard hikes (Hanging Lake, Deer Creek Canyon, etc), she's always game to ride her bike, and now fishing.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If you can work around the bathroom, there are nice free campsites all over buff creek area, especially if pretty view, easy hikes and close to home is preferred. You can pretend to fish in the creek.
I'll probably add this to the list soon enough. I just need to find trails that she can ride her bike on or I can tow her on, which are going to be limited up there.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Have you thought about commercial campgrounds? There is one off the highway near Monument...rates really high on the just gotta get away scale according to my neighbors...