Quantcast

Camping in NC

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
So my family and I wanna take a weekend camping trip in a couple weeks. I haven't camped a whole lot in NC so I am not quite sure where to look.. but basically we'd like to hike a bit, and we'd LOVE to cave a bit, and it wouldn't be terrible to find a swimming hole on the last day. Anyone have any ideas? I was going to head up to Morganton since I know there is a swimming hole near the bottom Hedley's. Any suggestions?

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
You should hike/camp in Linville Gorge. I would stick to the east rim of the gorge off of table rock road because the west side will be stupid crowded. My favorite spot is Sitting Bear. And Upper Creek falls has the best swimming hole around but it gets busy as well. Another option would be to hike/camp on grandfather. I would go in from the south side off of the parkway and go up to the ridge line. Attack window is my favorite camp spot on the ridge line. Stay away from the north/profile side and from the main park because it will be busy and there is only one campsite on the profile trail until you hit the ridge line. The south side (daniel boone scout/nuwati) has 6 including a shelter before the ridge line.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Absolutely
Didn't know if it was just an out and back scenic hike. I grew up 30 minutes from it so it didn't have much appeal as a kid. Real interested in roaming that area now with the kids.

Oh, and anyone ever cross below Rainbow Falls in Brevard and continue out that way on a hike? I saw on a trail map once that it had a huge section of trail to explore. Reminded me of Linville.

But be careful in Linville. I always mention the man they found who went hunting in the fall and disappeared. Hikers found his body in late winter once the leaves dropped. He was 50-60 feet up in a tree from a fall.:(

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
You should hike/camp in Linville Gorge. I would stick to the east rim of the gorge off of table rock road because the west side will be stupid crowded. My favorite spot is Sitting Bear. And Upper Creek falls has the best swimming hole around but it gets busy as well. Another option would be to hike/camp on grandfather. I would go in from the south side off of the parkway and go up to the ridge line. Attack window is my favorite camp spot on the ridge line. Stay away from the north/profile side and from the main park because it will be busy and there is only one campsite on the profile trail until you hit the ridge line. The south side (daniel boone scout/nuwati) has 6 including a shelter before the ridge line.
Takin my wife camping/hiking next weekend. Would that hike be alright for the wife since she's not the best hiker? Don't want to have to carry the gear AND the wife.