Quantcast

Camping in NoVa/MD?

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
My wife and I are looking to go camping for our upcoming wedding anniversary and I need some suggestions as to where we should go.

I'm looking for something primitive but not too primitive. The main thing is the hike - my wife doesn't want to hike in and we lack the gear to do so anyway. A short hike (less than a mile) would probably be ok if it means we can get away from civilization a little more. I'll be hauling in a cooler and a heavy-ass tent so it can't be too far. We don't need bathrooms, showers, electrical outlets, gravel campgrounds, laundry facilities and screaming kids and their redneck families in our line of sight.

A huge bonus would be a lake or other water nearby - we both like to fish. And it's necessary to be able to build a fire and gather wood from the nearby areas.

We live in Alexandria and I'd be willing to drive up to 1.5 hours to get there and maybe 2 if it's a great place.

VSBJake

Chimp
Jul 21, 2006
NoVa
3 awesome spots I've stayed closest to farthest....
1 elizabeth furnace @ the end of 66(last big mtn on left before I81) about an hour or so....
2 Dam Acres campground off rt 211 past the nat park and luray on the river. (there's a couple other good places on that river too) 11\2 hours ish
3 WV... Dolly sods.... about halfway to snowshoe. top of the mtn campgrond or hike in spots. Nearby river and Senaca rocks rt33?