Quantcast

Camping in Whistler

oh werd

Chimp
Oct 2, 2005
So i'm looking to head out to whistler this summer and i was planning on camping out there. So what places are there?

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
The Parking Lot is the best place if your cheap. Chances are good you'll meet someone crazy too, which is also pretty fun. There is a camp ground a couple miles north of town with showers and stuff, I think its called Riverside. There are also a bunch of places between Squamish and Whistler and north of Whistler that are Provincal camp grounds.

oh werd

Chimp
Oct 2, 2005
how far is the village from whistler and also is there like a two week pass or am i just going to have to suck it up and by a season ticket?

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
oh werd said:
how far is the village from whistler and also is there like a two week pass or am i just going to have to suck it up and by a season ticket?
The village is Whistler. Depending on where you stay, it should be an easy bike ride to the lifts.

No, they do not sell a short term pass. If you are there long enough, you will need to buy a season pass.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
oh werd said:
A pass pays for its-self in about 9-10 days. However a pass is also good for extended play on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and some Sundays. There is nothing like riding your bike at 7.30pm, and you have the entire mountain to yourself, as well as no lift lines. Lift lines generally start getting quiet around 6pm on extended play days.

If you didnt have a pass, extended play is an addition $12 Canadian.

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
konabiker said:
Camp in the parking lot if you wan't to get molested and your stuff taken.
how the hell do you know? you're from s.b. i've camped in the parking lot plenty of times and never had 1 problem yet. also camped at riverside and stayed in many a village hotel. my most memorable trips to whistler consisted of "dirtbaggin' it" in the parking lot. you make it out to sound like it's compton ca or something. if you're smart, lock your stuff up, keep your crap out of sight, you'll be fine. whistler is a playground for people with money, people who get **** ripped off do things like park their 5,000$ downhill sled next to 500 others and go for pitchers and lunch at the longhorn for 2 hrs. with their precious steed just out of sight. sure bikes get ripped off, but don't make it sound like the place is some crime infested craphole where your bound to get taken. keep an eye on yer ride, be smart, lock up your stuff, and have fun! canadian chicks are hot, they can ride a bike better than you, and can probably drink more beer than you too! no better place in the world if you like big bikes, beautiful, outdoorsy women, and lots of beer!:thumb:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Whistler is a bike stealing meca. Ive been there 2-3 time every summer for the last few years and seen many bikes stolen. They will hop on your bike while your eating and take off. They will steal them out of the locked cages. I even heard of them being stolen out of someones room. They even break into cars parked in the parking garages all the time. One weekend, while we were there, 10 cars were broken into in 2 days. I know of one group of friends that had there bike locks cut and stolen off the back of their truck while they were checking into their hotel. The stealing is organized with radios and lookouts. These guys are good.

The bike shops even lock up their cheap bikes. What does that tell ya? One buddy of mine works in a bike shop in Whistler. He said they have had guys come into the shop and steal bikes while no one was looking. They pull the bike out of the rack and look at it and then take off the second no one is looking.

Get a good lock and lock your bike up all the time or get good insurance on your bike.

We had my buddys 12yo son watch our bikes one time while we went in to buy beer. While we were gone, two guys approached him asking about the bikes and if they could take one for a ride. When we walked out the guys took off running. Them taking off running, when we all walked out, proves they were going to steal the bike.

People from Vancouver come to Whislter to steal bikes, so be prepared. People there on vacation steal bikes, too. I bet there are even locals that steal bikes. The part the bike out and get rid of the frame.

oh werd

Chimp
Oct 2, 2005
are there any national or provincal (sp?) parks around that offer cheap camping? and thanks for all the input

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Theft is a problem, but the way some of you depict it it sounds like its to big a risk to go. I ussually lock my bike up in the village and lock them to the bumber of my van at night while I sleep. I run one lock through the frames and one through the wheelsets. I've never had a problem and I've camped in the parking lot probably 15-20 times over the past few years. If you camp in the parking lot the public restrooms below the Longhorn are nice. GO TO THE LAKE also. There is nothing better than going for a swim and seeing countless hot chicks in bikinis after a long day of riding in 80 or 90 degree weather.