Quantcast

Camping shelter

I have two tents, a four person Big Agnes and a 1970s two person mountaineering tent which is a fucking PITA to set up and less than comfortable.

I have been thinking about getting either a more modern two person tent or a hammock for three season use. Hammocks are fascinating, but what the hell does one do where there are no trees on which to hang one?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Will you be backpacking in, or camping with your vehicle?

Cause they make hitch attachments for hammocks, if that is of interest to you. Like this:

Screenshot_20200706-091231_Chrome.jpg

Can even get an awning mount for it to stay dry and shady.

Or, if you can find a single tree, you can rig something between it and your roof rack.

I'm not aware of any good stand alone hammock apparatus that wouldn't be just as annoying to set up as a tent.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Car camping / Easy access?
Backwoods Hiking / Canoe tripping?
Size of occupants?
Sleep only or hangout room?
High or low humidity?
Types of weather expected?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I have a "4" person tent, which is my go to. In reality its really only big enough for one person and all the gear. But you can set it up in a few minutes as it only has two poles, stakes and a ground sheet.

Worst part is having to dry it when you leave or get back from camping.

Don't you have a van to sleep in or is that just for transporting the rpod around?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Will you be backpacking in, or camping with your vehicle?

Cause they make hitch attachments for hammocks, if that is of interest to you. Like this:

View attachment 147190

Can even get an awning mount for it to stay dry and shady.

Or, if you can find a single tree, you can rig something between it and your roof rack.

I'm not aware of any good stand alone hammock apparatus that wouldn't be just as annoying to set up as a tent.
The barebones kit is $200. A decent modern tent can be had for less than that, and it will take up less space.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
The barebones kit is $200. A decent modern tent can be had for less than that, and it will take up less space.
Sure, but Mr Peters also expressed interest in hammocks and what to do when there are no trees. Just because a tent is cheaper and takes up less space doesn't mean its the best solution for him.

Last edited:
I have a "4" person tent, which is my go to. In reality its really only big enough for one person and all the gear. But you can set it up in a few minutes as it only has two poles, stakes and a ground sheet.

Worst part is having to dry it when you leave or get back from camping.

Don't you have a van to sleep in or is that just for transporting the rpod around?
About the only time I sleep in the van is if I'm doing a solo long haul trip.

I have traveled a lot across the U.S., sometimes two weeks at a time, with a woman friend who's not my lover. We'll camp and ride all day or for days, move, camp again. Sometimes we share a tent, sometimes not. The gap I'm trying to fill is one-day stays for which I don't want to put up the Big House tent, so I want simple setup and tear down.

I'm OK with caring for gear after a trip.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Just make sure you sweep the tent for mice before rolling out in the morning.... ;)

non-//////////hammock stand:

1594058563364.png

I don't think there's that much difference between 2-3 man tents -- I've always been partial to pyramid style tents (more standing room) with removeable netting (i.e. don't use it if it's not needed.)

But https://lmgtfy.com/?q=tent+on+sale

3 man options:
This one mostly mesh (i.e. summer camping 40% off so $299->$179
1594059167435.png

less Gucci ($143 from $220 likely heavy)

1594059138180.png

more Gucci ($179 from $249)
1594059184377.png

2 man from REI ($112 from $159)

1594059200651.png

And other REI deals:

Just make sure you sweep the tent for mice before rolling out in the morning.... ;)

non-//////////hammock stand:

View attachment 147192

I don't think there's that much difference between 2-3 man tents -- I've always been partial to pyramid style tents (more standing room) with removeable netting (i.e. don't use it if it's not needed.)

But https://lmgtfy.com/?q=tent+on+sale

3 man options:
This one mostly mesh (i.e. summer camping 40% off so $299->$179
View attachment 147195

less Gucci ($143 from $220 likely heavy)

View attachment 147194

more Gucci ($179 from $249)
View attachment 147196

2 man from REI ($112 from $159)

View attachment 147197

And other REI deals:
Thanks.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Still think having a bed platform (2 levels) would make life easier.
But you would need to put bikes on a swing away rack.

Still have my Eureka tent and all sleeping gears. Collecting dust in the garage.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm with Jozz, kind of scratching my head at a person who owns a Sprinter and 2 tents yet who is looking for tent recommendations. If you don't have a bed platform, how about picking up a couple of portable sleeping cots for inside the van? Super comfy and you could use them in your big tent if desired.

That said, if you're set on a new tent, I've had good luck with REI and North Face tents. That NF one recommended by Montana Rider looks great. The full pole sleeves make set up pretty easy. I suspect you know this, but for sure check dimensions. What constitutes a "2 Person" tent varies considerably, and it's nice to have room inside for some of your gear.

I personally can't sleep in a hammock beyond a short nap. But if it works for you, you could also string up a hammock inside the van if there's no other option, or if the weather is shit, etc.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

This is the tent I use. Super simple to setup, similar to the Marmot linked by @Montana rider . The sides being all mesh are very nice, if you know for sure it won't rain and you don't care about anyone seeing in, it makes for great star gazing and ventilation if you undo the fly.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'd try borrowing a hammock before committing to one. I can't sleep in those things as a side-sleeper... they're very uncomfortable for me.
I can't even begin to imagine how bad it would be to sleep in a hammock, not being able to stretch out or lay flat. I would probably end up permanently "C-shaped".

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
big agnes copper spur ul3, wanted 2 but REI was not in stock and it was a last minute grab. Same size rolled up as my Eurekaa Solitare (upgrade the poles). So one is a solo and not a bivy (no love for the biv) the other is a 3 person tent with comfort to sleep 2 and gear.

big agnes copper spur ul3 sets up in under 10 minutes and fits in a tiny bag.

Going to try the BA Scout 1 once I blow up the Eureeka (maybe 3 more weeks left in it)

fbrm1.jpg