Quantcast

Camping with bikes?

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
Depends on how many people are around where you're camping. If there are people in the area, put em inside the car, lock them on the rack, or even lock them to a tree. If the tent has enough room, just bring them into the tent with you. If you're in a tent it's pretty easy to hear if someone is outside messing with the lock.

Sometimes if the campsite is fairly remote and the chance of someone coming around is slim, I won't even lock the bikes, just lean them up against a tree out of sight.

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
yup they come in the tent with me. But if you do leave them locked outside while camping chances are pretty good that you will have an axe,hatchet, hammer or some other crazy weapon to ward off theives. My dogs almost always come with me too, and If you arent scared of 2 rottweilers I dunno what to do.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
buildyourown said:
Sleep with it.
I assume you are talking about car camping? I always just lock it to a tree or my rack.
Well, we'll sleep in a tent most of the trip unless the weather is bad. I don't think they will fit in the truck with all of other crap. We're driving to to Moab and Fruita for a week so the truck will be full.

I'll have to check the tent size if both bikes will fit with both of us....

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Snacks said:
Well, we'll sleep in a tent most of the trip unless the weather is bad. I don't think they will fit in the truck with all of other crap. We're driving to to Moab and Fruita for a week so the truck will be full.

I'll have to check the tent size if both bikes will fit with both of us....

Won't you have a sportworks rack? Do you not have the lock?
I have a 6ft long super burly lock that you could borrow. It's much like a new york chain except you can't pick it with a bic pen.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
buildyourown said:
Won't you have a sportworks rack? Do you not have the lock?
I have a 6ft long super burly lock that you could borrow. It's much like a new york chain except you can't pick it with a bic pen.
On the white truck we use one of those wood racks in the bed of the truck. We have a couple of Krypo locks, but I think they are the kind you can pick.

There are locks you can get for the sportworks racks?

Snacks said:
On the white truck we use one of those wood racks in the bed of the truck. We have a couple of Krypo locks, but I think they are the kind you can pick.

There are locks you can get for the sportworks racks?
It's a locking Pin (at the hitch) w/ a cable.

In the future, Sportworks is working on a retrofit keylock kit to install on the stabilizing arm.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
The sportworks lock is sweet cause it locks the rack as well as the bikes. It's still a cable but it keeps honest people honest. I would trust it in a campground. No reason you couldn't put the sportworks on the white truck. I do it for whistler trips. It makes the truck a bit long but it keeps the bed free for gear.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
ChainWhip said:
It's a locking Pin (at the hitch) w/ a cable.

In the future, Sportworks is working on a retrofit keylock kit to install on the stabilizing arm.
Can I just order one of those locking Pin thingy? I don't think I have one on mine.

BYO: I was just thinking we'd put the rack on the back of truck and keep the bed empty for gear. Goodness I hope it's nice and warm when we're down there :D

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Snacks said:
Can I just order one of those locking Pin thingy? I don't think I have one on mine.

BYO: I was just thinking we'd put the rack on the back of truck and keep the bed empty for gear. Goodness I hope it's nice and warm when we're down there :D

In my three trips to Moab/Fruita, the weather has always been tempermental. We have always gone in spring or fall. One march, we had prefect days and the woke up hung over to 3" of snow. We had been so drunk that we left all of our stuff out and couldn't find stuff like car keys.
Good times.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
buildyourown said:
In my three trips to Moab/Fruita, the weather has always been tempermental. We have always gone in spring or fall. One march, we had prefect days and the woke up hung over to 3" of snow. We had been so drunk that we left all of our stuff out and couldn't find stuff like car keys.
Good times.
Hahaha! So when in spring did you go down...and is the extra trip to Fruita worth it?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Snacks said:
Hahaha! So when in spring did you go down...and is the extra trip to Fruita worth it?
I've been once in early sept, once in mid march and once in mid october.
No trip had perfect weather but I think fall is more predictable.

Fruita is definitly worth it. I like it better than Moab

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
buildyourown said:
I've been once in early sept, once in mid march and once in mid october.
No trip had perfect weather but I think fall is more predictable.

Fruita is definitly worth it. I like it better than Moab

Well we are going sometime in the begining of April, so hopefully it's not too wet. We decided to camp for the majority of the trip to save money to stay longer. This should be interesting because neither of us have gone on a camping trip in over 5 years!

I haven't heard a lot about Fruita, just stumbled across an article about it on the web. I thought it was in California :o: From what I saw the trails look great, lots of long single track :thumb:

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
Snacks said:
I haven't heard a lot about Fruita, just stumbled across an article about it on the web. I thought it was in California :o: From what I saw the trails look great, lots of long single track :thumb:
Snacks,

When you have some time, poke around this website for a bit:

Pete Fagerlin's website

In the links on the left side, look under road trips, then colorodo. He's got photos from several years worth of Fruita Fat Tire Festival. Should give you some good ideas about the riding down there. Plenty of long swoopy singletrack mixed with really technical rocky stuff to keep you and TH happy.

I've never actually been there, but I've seen lots of pictures and videos from the area. (Pete has a few videos you can d/l if you have broadband access.) Plus I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

It's definitely on my short list of places to go ride in the near future.