Quantcast

Campstove fuel--where to carry?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I think I'm making it sound stranger than it is, actually, but it's not exactly what I've seen on any other pack I've owned (very few) or used (couple more).

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It just occurred to me--Shirley's in TN. I didn't know they made zip-off overalls.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Edit II: Westy, take 64 to 81 and a little bit south and you're there. Really recommend it, especially with a lady friend who likes to rise seductively out of cold mountain pools/waterfalls. But don't forget the camera batteries.
I've never been in the woods out there but love the area. My favorite road ride actually is a loop around that wilderness area. I'll have to check it out sometime, especially if I can drag along a lady who likes to seductively emerge from things.

The other day I hit Old Rag early in the morning. It was nice being the first person on the trail.

Hiking poles may be geeky but they make life so much easier when carrying a heavy load. With a full pack, my back kills me when I don't use the poles, you also don't have to be quite as carefull with your footing.

Zip offs are the nerdiest clothing ever invented. I don't really like them though. I really step up the nerd factor and just wear shorts (old board shorts with the liners cut out) and when it gets cold I bust out the cycling leg warmers with side zips.

And Asolo boots do rock. I love mine except I wish they had the rubber toe protection, I tend to kick rocks and the leather gets beat up quite a bit.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Edit: Do you guys pack a stool/seat of any kind? I found some 1-lb tripod stools which I bought--unlike the thermarest seat deals, they keep you up out of the mud, which can be nice if you're stuck with a civilized mindset (ie, camping with the wife, in contrast to how I'd hike if I was alone...) They're pretty easy to haul, so I figure they were worth the pound.

I carry a piece of an old closed cell foam sleeping pad as an ass cushion. Keeps you off of cold/wet/rocky ground or logs and can also be used as a kind of welcome mat at the tent vestibule. I strap it to the bottom of my pack so it also protects the bottom of my pack when I set it down on rocky ground.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA

Never mind the Marmot.

(Actually, I've got a bunch of Marmot stuff and love it, along with a lot of Mountain Hardware gear...)

So we're back...it was an adventure. And she forgot the camera battery, so there are zero photos, which is tragic.

The St. Mary's Falls and St. Mary's River trails were someplace I'd hiked once in college, and had an amazing time. Trail follows a beautiful clear, very rocky, river through some fairly remote and unspoiled terrain; we'd camped near a small waterfall/swimming hole and had a blast. Took the wife back there to try and re-live it...the trail apparently was blown out by Katrina in many places, what's left is no longer blazed, and you have to cross the stream to find the trail and its bypasses ("Igon, I thought you said crossing the streams was BAD," she tells me...)
How many times did you get lost on your way down there?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've got one of those - an old Gregory Denali (circa 1992?). It was over 70lbs on one of my legs of the Colorado Trail. :dead:

Luckily I was much younger then... :D

When I hiked the Tetons I started off with a 70 lb pack. 6 days worth of food and a park mandated bear canister really weighed things down. It wasn't that bad though, hell the average american is probably lugging around that much in extra body weight.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
When I hiked the Tetons I started off with a 70 lb pack. 6 days worth of food and a park mandated bear canister really weighed things down. It wasn't that bad though, hell the average american is probably lugging around that much in extra body weight.
:rofl:

Yeah - I had 10 days worth of food... and since I was going solo I had to carry the 2-person 4 season tent by myself. :dead:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Sounds like a sweet trip.

We did our first 2 nighter together this weekend. It was La's first time backpacking & we both had a blast.

re:zip off pants. I wore mine this weekend. It is like having two pair of pants/shorts for the cost of one. :monkeydance:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Speaking of bears, do you guys in the east normally set up a bear hang?

I did, even thought I felt I was guarding against the highly unlikely... Lacking a bear canister, I hoisted a cloth Whole Foods shopping bag high into a tree with some 550 cord.

Speaking of heavy packs, my old Eagle Creek Endless Journey travel pack has been loaded up with about 70-80 lbs for several desert treks...all that water...all that water... :dead:

I carry a piece of an old closed cell foam sleeping pad as an ass cushion. Keeps you off of cold/wet/rocky ground or logs and can also be used as a kind of welcome mat at the tent vestibule. I strap it to the bottom of my pack so it also protects the bottom of my pack when I set it down on rocky ground.
I used to have a cut-up isopore mat which I'd re-taped together in a series of squares, and you could fold it into a stack for sitting or lay it out flat for sleeping. It tended to slide apart on you at night, though, leaving you on the ground with one half of the mat on either side.

Your Asolos don't have rubber toes? My FSN 95s do.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I did, even thought I felt I was guarding against the highly unlikely... Lacking a bear canister, I hoisted a cloth Whole Foods shopping bag high into a tree with some 550 cord.
The Blue ridge has a very large black bear population, SNP has the densest in the US. So yes bear proofing your camp is important. Your not going to have to fight off a 800 lb monster but a 130lb bear can still eat all your food and send you back home early short on supplies. I'd go with a tougher container than a grocery bag, lost a lot of food once after some bird or rodent ate a hole through a thin nylon bag I had hung.

My Asolos do not have the rubber caps that have complete toe coverage. Finding the model that did would have meant driving a few hours.

Last edited:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i know it's required in the adirondacks. even with a bear bag/bear kegs your stuff isn't safe from them. one night a bear broke into one of the kegs and then walked off with one of our bear bags. the other bear bag had a huge hole in it and the ditty bag with my stuff and my wallet(forgot it was in there) was hanging out. my thermos also has a pretty sweet dent in it from the bear.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA

YES. I've been in a hikers shelter in Shenendoah while a family of black bears tried to get my food out of a bear chest. It's pretty scary. 550 cord is fine, I use a carabiner (locking kind, I've had non-lockers snap around a tree branch.) to throw weight. 50 feet from camp, 12 feet off the ground, 6 feet from the tree, 3 feet down from the branch it's suspended on.

re: Chairs, two words: Crazy Creek.

Your Asolos don't have rubber toes? My FSN 95s do.
Your boots are the shiznite-ist.

Ed: I wipe my ass with your Mountain Hardwear yuppie crap. Did you CARRY YOUR EFFING GUN while in the park? If not, YOU ARE WRONG. :banghead:

re: Zip-off pants. I left the bottom halves somewhere along the trail to Old Rag, turning them into $45 shorts.

Last edited:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ed: I wipe my ass with your Mountain Hardwear yuppie crap.

Note:
Unless you are rockin a cotton duck canvas external frame pack (in which case, you're a hippie) ALL backpacking equipment is yuppy crap.

:D

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
Beaver's no good no more.

But I lost all my cougar and muskrat pelts when my crew was attacked by Cree indians. I was lucky to make it out alive.

Mountain bike? This is a mountain biking site?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'd go with a tougher container than a grocery bag, lost a lot of food once after some bird or rodent ate a hole through a thin nylon bag I had hung.
Yeah, looking at my hang, completely safe from a bear way up in a tree, I named it the "Raccoon Buffet..." I can't believe it wasn't ransacked by something.

Note:
Unless you are rockin a cotton duck canvas external frame pack (in which case, you're a hippie) ALL backpacking equipment is yuppy crap.

:D
What's more yuppie than a Whole Foods shopping bag in the woods??

Beaver's no good no more.
Now THAT is sig material.

Last edited:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
But I lost all my cougar pelts
You wouldn't get much for them anyways. Yer better off milking a cougar for some of that alimony she collects instead of skinnin' 'er.

You want to avoid cougars with beaver pelts too...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
While we are getting all nerdy does anyone have experience carrying an SLR with a full size pack? I want to be able to have access to my camera without removing my pack. I can put my SLR case on my daypack hip strap with no problems but the suspension on my full pack pushes it forward and it gets in the way of my arms.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
While we are getting all nerdy does anyone have experience carrying an SLR with a full size pack? I want to be able to have access to my camera without removing my pack. I can put my SLR case on my daypack hip strap with no problems but the suspension on my full pack pushes it forward and it gets in the way of my arms.