Quantcast

Campstove fuel--where to carry?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
While we are getting all nerdy does anyone have experience carrying an SLR with a full size pack? I want to be able to have access to my camera without removing my pack. I can put my SLR case on my daypack hip strap with no problems but the suspension on my full pack pushes it forward and it gets in the way of my arms.
When you're wearing the pack, the only accessible real estate you have free is on your chest or on the hip belt...

Maybe you could sling a holster-style camera case between your pack straps? Sounds both awkward and geeky, but it's really all I can think of. Or you could wear the camera on a strap cross-body under one arm and use a bungee, strap, or some other method to keep the camera held closely to the waist belt until you needed it.

It would match my leather zip-off assless chaps.
All chaps are assless. That's part of what makes them chaps.

You should make some Cordura trail chaps that start out as pants, then zip out the ass and crotch. And they could be tear-away, like stripper pants.

Last edited:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
That's exactly the kind of arrangement I was thinking of...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Interesting. I think I might try to make something similar, use velcro on one side to make taking the pack off easier.

Thanks.
And when not toting a camera, you can use it to cradle your little ferret buddy along with you on walks.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Interesting. I think I might try to make something similar, use velcro on one side to make taking the pack off easier.

Thanks.
Basically clipping a top-loader to the d-rings on the shoulder straps above the sternum strap.

Or just feed the sternum strap through the top-loader's belt loop.

Or just use a camera strap?
:imstupid:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Last edited:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
2) Campstove--thanks for the advice earlier. Need to secure the bottle with a bungee, as well, so it doesn't slip out should I take a real tumble. Two more questions-- a) does a small spurt/trickle of fuel when detaching the fuel canister mean you've overpressurized it, or is it normal/unavoidable? b) Is it OK to carry the canister pressurized? I've been releasing it after use/cooldown as the directions say, but if you're planning on using it again soon, is it all right to leave it pumped?

tip -- I cut the top off of a water bottle, and it fits perfectly over the the top of my fuel canister(MSR). Poked a small in the bottom of the water bottle to make it easier to slip on. Protects the pump from snagging and other accidents.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
tip -- I cut the top off of a water bottle, and it fits perfectly over the the top of my fuel canister(MSR). Poked a small in the bottom of the water bottle to make it easier to slip on. Protects the pump from snagging and other accidents.
Way to like, bring us back on topic with, like, useful advice.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Just got my first non-canister-fueled campstove, an MSR Dragonfly. (Gasoline or diesel may be my only source of fuel overseas, so I wanted a stove that didn't rely on a gas mix/disposable canister.) It runs fine on unleaded...however, since you can smell the gas and the fuel bottle isn't some sealed factory unit, I really don't feel comfortable carrying it in my pack (not to mention stench contamination...)

MD
This is why we use white gas. It won't linger like gas or diesel. If spilled, it will evaporate and not ruin what it was spilled on (in most cases)
I used it last weekend for cleaning pitch off of my hand while camping and you couldn't smell it on my skin afterwards.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
This is why we use white gas. It won't linger like gas or diesel. If spilled, it will evaporate and not ruin what it was spilled on (in most cases)
I used it last weekend for cleaning pitch off of my hand while camping and you couldn't smell it on my skin afterwards.
Same thing with denatured alcohol.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
Ah, huffing. A favored Manasshole pastime.
Our favorite pastimes right now are building strip malls and playing futbol.

Useful advice:

Don't buy white gas in Africa. What we call white gas in the states (coleman fuel) and what they call white gas aren't necessarily the same. Stick with the kero or unleaded. It smells worse and it will clog your jet more, but it won't jam up the stove. Download all the files off zenstoves.net for when you get bored and want to build your own.

The pump is fragile, keep it in the fuel bottle you're using. Besides, one bottle is good for like 6 meals or more. I don't keep mine pressurized during travel anymore, if a seal breaks it will spray fuel all over vs. just spilling a bit. Rare, yes, but once is enough to swear me off for life. Be judicious in the pump cup cleaning - these go bad easily and are a stupid reason to need a new pump.

The GSI Dualist cookset looks very cool. Affordable, too. I dig the Snowpeak Trek 700 as well.

I'm sure I'll think of something else when I get back from the store...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
IF you bring your fuel bottle back in your plane luggage, empty it, rinse it as best you can and then fill it about a 1/4 full with cheap a$$ liquor. Even if it smells of gasoline, they'll just think you are drinking horrid liquor and let it go.