Quantcast

Campy freehub issues

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
My Campagnolo Centaur 10 rear hub is giving me sh!t. Specifically, it sounds like rocks are rolling around in it when coasting in smaller cogs, and the freehub has a bit of play against the hub shell. Today I tore it apart to see if I could fix the issue (same hub internals as Chorus/Record). All the bearings are good, pawls, etc. It was quite clean inside, the original thick Campy grease was still nice and white. Anyway, I regreased everything and reassembled, making sure to tighten everything well to eliminate any play...Freehub still slightly loose and making noise. Tore it apart again, hunted for source of my pain, and no luck. Reassembled. Same issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Is it possible the cassette isn't tight? XT cassettes don't like my king hubs and they make an awful racket when they come loose.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This might be a better question for the experts at the CampyOnly forums than the experts on everything here at RM.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
How is the coasting? Does it sporadically catch? Without seeing it, sounds like the spring that holds the pawls in place is suspect.

How are the bearings in the freehub?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
How is the coasting? Does it sporadically catch? Without seeing it, sounds like the spring that holds the pawls in place is suspect.

How are the bearings in the freehub?
It doesn't sporadically catch, but I think you might be right about the spring and the pawls. They felt slightly sticky. The bearings inside the freehub were good. Do you know if it's possible to replace the pawls, spring, or whole freehub?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
if it's like current Record/ Chorus, yes it's possible to replace the spring and pawls. Spring is about $9, as are the pawls. QBP is out of pawls.

The little hook on the spring has to be placed in the hole on the backside of the FH body...if it isn't, the pawls will not engage properly.