Quantcast

Can a 2007 Boxxer World Cup be set to 7" of travel?

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I put 0.7inchs of boxxer spring preload spacers under the top out rubbers on the solo air setup. I lowered the rear on my bike 0.8inchs as well at the same time. My objective was to lower the bike but retain the angles i had before, maybe slighty slacker.

You could also use extra bottom out bumpers or anything that will fit nice and snug to the shaft. You will need to pull the solo air piston out, you will need circlip pliers, and be gentle and try not to damage the oring seals. make sure you follow the rebuild instructions and add 3ml of oil to the air piston. Download the boxxer rebuild manual.

Here is where you add the spacers

I also did the mod of removing the black box stack. It seems to work ok as well.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166577&highlight=black+box

The forks feel fine, maybe even a little more progressive all up. Im really digging it at the moment. Having the bike lower has made it ride very nice indeed. I think i went up 10psi in pressure, i have not noticed it toppping out and im getting full travel with no harsh bottom out.

Pic of the bike (again.... :) )

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Can I reduce the travel on a 8inch coil boxxer too?

If so by how much, i.e. how many spacers are above the spring, that could be relocated?

Thanks,

JT
You can put some preload spacers in with the top out spring the exact same way.

However, unlike older boxxers there are no spacers on top that you can cut down, so any spacers you put in with the top out spring are in effect lowering the fork and preloading the spring at the same time.

You might need to change the spring, or maybe not, and you will have a preloaded spring. Not sure how it would ride.

Using an older 7inch boxxer spring probably won't work unless you are super light, 7inch springs are approx half as stiff as the 8inch springs.

The boxxer air is easier to get set up correctly.

RED5

Chimp
Nov 28, 2001
So.Cal
Can I reduce the travel on a 8inch coil boxxer too?

If so by how much, i.e. how many spacers are above the spring, that could be relocated?

Thanks,

JT
You could also purchase/find an old rebound shaft from an 05- fork and use that. I've done it. Works marvelously.

RED5

Chimp
Nov 28, 2001
So.Cal
My bad I mistyped that, it was a rebound shaft from an 04 and I used an 05 later spring, one preload spacer and the standard spacer that comes with the newer boxxer.

Same axle to crown as any pre-05 7" Boxxer.

Can you elabourate on this? What spring did you use? What's the difference between the 05 and 06 shafts? 05 Boxxers were 8inches too. Did you use spacers? What travel AtoC reductions did you achieve?

Thanks,

JT