Quantcast

can any bike suspension feel great ?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I think the low-AS bikes use an abnormal amount of travel while climbing over bumps, to the point where if they were just rolling downhill over a similar-sized object, they wouldn't use as much travel. That's what it feels like to me. With around 100%, which I don't consider "high" AS, I find the reaction to bumps uphill and downhill is about the same. That soggy-super-traction feeling is a feedback-loop IME, bump causes suspension to sag to where there's less AS, more power applied makes it squat more because there's less AS to counter it, to a point further in the travel where there's even less AS, front end getting light, etc...Real feedback through the pedals is noticeable, whether going up or down. I shouldn't be using 4" of travel uphill. But I'm just an idiot that's going for a ride right now.
I would agree with all that. Just because sandwhich likes climbing with bikes that make it even more difficult than a hardtail doesn't mean going in the extreme other direction is any better. Those things suck.