Quantcast

Can any bike use a suspension fork with a 1 1/8th headset?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Spunger, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Spunger

Spunger Git yer dumb questions here

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    This is a stupid question probably but I figured I'd ask. My girlfriend has a Schwinn or Giant? womens bike with a threaded headset. I got her a fork and would like to put this on and I know you need a threadless headset. Not a big deal.

I'm just wondering a 1" and a 1 1/8" headset press into the same diameter headtube, just the bearings are a hair larger correct? I'd like to get her some whatever headset and the correct stem/bars for her.

Any help would be great!

#1 -   Oct 1, 2005

Please register to disable this ad.

2. joelsman

joelsman Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    you do need the correct size steerer tube, but switching from threaded to threadless is no problem, just headset and stem need replaced.

#2 -   Oct 1, 2005
  3. binary visions

binary visions The voice of reason

Rep/Likes:
    83 / 365
    No, 1" and 1 1/8" headsets don't press into the same size headtube. You need the correct diameter. Sorry.

If it's a recent bike, it'll likely have a 1 1/8" headtube, though.

#3 -   Oct 3, 2005
  4. Spunger

Spunger Git yer dumb questions here

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    hmm....it's on a girls bike LOL, and it currently had a 1" threaded deal. It's a chromo-frame so I dunno. I remember years ago I had an alum. frame that came with a threaded headset, and I was able to make it threadless so that's why I asked.

Oh well........I've been wanting to get her on something nice so she feels like she can ride with me. It's hard to convince her to ride with me when I got the $$$ bike and she's got the sub $300 21sp non-suspension of any kind. Atleast she's kept it in such great condition it shouldn't be too hard to sell.

#4 -   Oct 3, 2005
  5. H8R

H8R Cranky Pants

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 4
    If it has a 1" steerer then it's pretty much a commuter bike at this point, unless your girl is hella core and wants to bomb on a fully rigid bike. Finding a decent 1" suspension fork that would still be in ok shape is hard to do these days.

Probably best to sell that bike to a college kid and move on to better things.

#5 -   Oct 3, 2005