Quantcast

Can any bike use a suspension fork with a 1 1/8th headset?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
This is a stupid question probably but I figured I'd ask. My girlfriend has a Schwinn or Giant? womens bike with a threaded headset. I got her a fork and would like to put this on and I know you need a threadless headset. Not a big deal.

I'm just wondering a 1" and a 1 1/8" headset press into the same diameter headtube, just the bearings are a hair larger correct? I'd like to get her some whatever headset and the correct stem/bars for her.

Any help would be great!

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
you do need the correct size steerer tube, but switching from threaded to threadless is no problem, just headset and stem need replaced.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
No, 1" and 1 1/8" headsets don't press into the same size headtube. You need the correct diameter. Sorry.

If it's a recent bike, it'll likely have a 1 1/8" headtube, though.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
hmm....it's on a girls bike LOL, and it currently had a 1" threaded deal. It's a chromo-frame so I dunno. I remember years ago I had an alum. frame that came with a threaded headset, and I was able to make it threadless so that's why I asked.

Oh well........I've been wanting to get her on something nice so she feels like she can ride with me. It's hard to convince her to ride with me when I got the $$$ bike and she's got the sub $300 21sp non-suspension of any kind. Atleast she's kept it in such great condition it shouldn't be too hard to sell.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Spunger said:
hmm....it's on a girls bike LOL, and it currently had a 1" threaded deal. It's a chromo-frame so I dunno. I remember years ago I had an alum. frame that came with a threaded headset, and I was able to make it threadless so that's why I asked.

Oh well........I've been wanting to get her on something nice so she feels like she can ride with me. It's hard to convince her to ride with me when I got the $$$ bike and she's got the sub $300 21sp non-suspension of any kind. Atleast she's kept it in such great condition it shouldn't be too hard to sell.
If it has a 1" steerer then it's pretty much a commuter bike at this point, unless your girl is hella core and wants to bomb on a fully rigid bike. Finding a decent 1" suspension fork that would still be in ok shape is hard to do these days.

Probably best to sell that bike to a college kid and move on to better things.