Quantcast

Can anyone help me with some HTML stuff?

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
On my website, when it loads on a window that is smaller than the site is built at, everything moves and looks like a mess - I want to know how to make it stay together so insead of resizing, it will make a horizontal scroll bar come up on the browser, or something like that. This mainly happens when a browser window is not at full size, and it is a bit annoying. If it matters, I built my site with Mozilla.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You have to set up your site using fixed width tables.

Everything is going to have to be in a table, and you just set the table width to the pixels you want.

If you're using a WYSIWYG editor, I'm not sure how it will handle that... I'd recommend you look at the source and figure out what's going on. http://www.htmlgoodies.com has some good information.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Not sure if it will help but....

I use Front Page to make my web pages. (I'm not a pro nor do I give a crap about ugly code and all that crap. My websites look just fine). In FP I create a table and under the tables properties I tell it to make the width of the table 100% of the page. It gives two options... pixels and percent of page. I find that using the percent of page option works for me.

www.sablecatleather.com
www.blackrune.com (under construction but the header should still be a table)

If you resize my pages you'll notice that with few exceptions the page "compresses" itself so it all fits... no horizontal scrollbars needed. I hate horizontal scrollbars.