Quantcast

Can anyone make sense of this???

J

JRB

Not knocking the guy, I just don't understand. On a trail bike, I want a shorter stem. I have a 70mm on the Haro, and climb pretty well. I could maybe go to 80 or 90, but think that 100mm and more is too much on a trail/freeride bike.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1538729#post1538729

rcharrette said:
1" set back is pretty standard on seat post's I think. You can get a "0" but I would think that is more for triathaletes etc who are looking for an aggressive aero position, not grinding climbs and free ride. I personally think (without seeing you and just from your size description) you want a minimum 90mm stem (probably still a bit short). Also more importantly for handling reasons as well.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Yah it really doesn't matter all that much. Only thing i could say is that if you go longer on a stem, make sure you get one that's nice and stiff.

Your bike and what your size and height is will go a long way in determining what's right for you.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Skookum said:
Yah it really doesn't matter all that much. Only thing i could say is that if you go longer on a stem, make sure you get one that's nice and stiff.

Your bike and what your size and height is will go a long way in determining what's right for you.
I'm 6'7" and was running a Thomson on my '02 GT i-Drive (Size XL ...of course...)....it was freakin' comfy for climbs and descents... Once you find a fit, get a Thomson. Especially if you're going to follow through on the 3-4 footers...once you pass 75mm...control gets kinda sketchy if it's not well made. Thomson makes a wide range of lengths and rises...

Like Skookum said, nice and stiff. But make sure it fits for ya! Hope everything goes well!:cool:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Just depends on the frame and rider size.

On my DH bike, I run an integrated Shiver stem in the short position. It think that's 55mm or something. On my trailbike I ran a 120 for a while and then switched to a 100mm (with a zero setback Thomson). I like my saddle pretty forward over the pedals. When really hammering trails and climbs, I find a long stem to really help (up to a point, of course). I can't stand sprinting and going hard on climbs and flats on a bike with the bars too close and high.

J

JRB

escapeartist said:
Woah, i thought this was a "State of the Union Adress" thread. Sorry, I have nothing to say here.
I was thinking that while I was wishing Scrubs was on.

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
You could have watched The Collective. :mumble:
Yeah - we should ride this weekend so I can get that back to you. I wonder where it is. :think:

J

JRB

I agree, TJ, but did you really need two posts??? :D

edit - I am really fond of :think: as well.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
It is a matter of having enough room in your cockpit to hit the steepest of climbs will seated to maintain traction. When you have to sit on the part of your seat that wasn't meant to be sat on and the part of your butt that wasn't meant to be either. When you are in that postition your knees will hit the bar-also when standing for climbing sprints your cockpit needs to be roomy enough for you to just hammer away without worrying about hitting your knees on your stem/bars. Fisher designed his hardtails to have longer tobtubes and shorter stems for that reason-it also enhances decending because your stem is short and teh responsiveness is quick. So, to wrap it all up, the length of your top tube and your riding style will determine your stem length, you should never move your seat fore and aft to set up your cockpit, that position is for your muscle groups and is decided with a plumb bob and your pedal axle. H

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
The guys a confused idiot. Probably stems from roadie roots.

On a triathlon/time trial bike, using aero bars requres a 0-offset post to put you farther foreward. On a mountain bike it depends a lot on the geometry/rider. Many freeride/trail/dh bikes have slacker seat-tube angles so the tire doesn't hit the frame when the suspension compresses.... etc. If you need more info, do a search.

As far as the stem thing. Read my first sentence.