Quantcast

Can hubs skip?

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
Climbing slowly on my local trail and I feel something give in my drivetrain. For a split second I have visions of me eating soup and milkshakes for the next 6 months due to a broken face thinking my chain snapped, but then the chain caught "traction" again.

I went on thinking maybe my rear wheel just skipped over something but then it happened again. I looked everything over and all seemed to be fine. Then it happened again, always happened when I was climbing.

Could my cheap ass rear hub be skipping? Are these signs that it will soon explode, really putting me on a liquid diet for the next 6 months? Last time I snapped a chain I was riding on a sidewalk on a very mild climb and I are some serious sh!t, don't want that to happen again.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Cheap hub skipping? And I mean cheap, see picture or the bike and you can imagine the quality of hub that is on there.....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Freewheels typically work on the ratchet system, where tiny hardened metals pieces (pawls) catch on "teeth" to lock up your cogs and allow you to pedal.

When you are not pedalling, the "freewheel" sound is the pawls bouncing off the teeth.

The pawls and the springs which engage them to the teeth are tiny, and if dirt and debris get inside the mechanism, it prevents the pawls from engaging the teeth.

If you are using a freehub, you might be able to take it apart. If you are using a freewheel, you probably better off replacing it, since there are a zillion ball bearings inside.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
sanjuro said:
Freewheels typically work on the ratchet system, where tiny hardened metals pieces (pawls) catch on "teeth" to lock up your cogs and allow you to pedal.

When you are not pedalling, the "freewheel" sound is the pawls bouncing off the teeth.

The pawls and the springs which engage them to the teeth are tiny, and if dirt and debris get inside the mechanism, it prevents the pawls from engaging the teeth.

If you are using a freehub, you might be able to take it apart. If you are using a freewheel, you probably better off replacing it, since there are a zillion ball bearings inside.
Yes... Most often though, your chain/gears are worn and it is a problem with those skipping.