Quantcast

can I get some help with my leaky boxxers?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I don't think my boxxer likes the combination of a 240 pound rider and the rocks at N*. It's pissing out fluid. I plan to buy something else soon, maybe a super T. For now though I need to put some fluid in it so I can keep riding. I went to the moto-x store and bought some bel-ray 7 weight fluid going on the suggestion from the guys from my LBS. I just need to know now how to fill it up and how much to put in. My guess is that I do it by taking off the top caps and then just pouring some in but I'm not sure how much.

Any help would be really appreciated so I can ride some more this weekend w/o destorying this poor fork.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
rockshox has not only user manuals, but also service guides on thier website.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
what would help is if you told us what year is your Boxxer? What side is leaking - the compression or rebound?

what springs are you using? are you sure your bottom crown is high enough? if not it could be bottoming out on your seals, causing them to leak.

You could also wrap a extra absorbent tampon around your stanchion? ;)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Acadian said:
You could also wrap a extra absorbent tampon around your stanchion? ;)
i've seen such things wrapped around boxxers before ;)

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
dfinn said:
I don't think my boxxer likes the combination of a 240 pound rider and the rocks at N*. It's pissing out fluid. I plan to buy something else soon, maybe a super T. For now though I need to put some fluid in it so I can keep riding. I went to the moto-x store and bought some bel-ray 7 weight fluid going on the suggestion from the guys from my LBS. I just need to know now how to fill it up and how much to put in. My guess is that I do it by taking off the top caps and then just pouring some in but I'm not sure how much.

Any help would be really appreciated so I can ride some more this weekend w/o destorying this poor fork.

theck that you have more than 7" exposed stanchion, and then change oil and oil seals, go to a hydraulics supply store and buy a dozen of 32mm ID / 42mm OD, 7mm H double lip seals.

then go home, put your bike upside down, drain all oil from your boxxer, cycle it a few times to get it all out.

then, undo the lower bolts a turn or two, tap on them with a hammer to loosen the bolts from the lowers, undo the bolts completely, then remove the brake caliper, and remove the lower legs.

with lower legs in hand, use a big flat screwdriver to carefully remove the dust seal, then a smaller screwdriver to remove a clip that will show up under the dust seal, and then the big screwdriver again for the oil seal.

then put the new oil seals in, reverse the procedure and fill with oil, if its an 03-04 fork you could use 5wt in rebound and maybe 10wt in compression, its all a personal pref thing though.

doing this you just got a boxxer good to go for a few more months and saved a bunch of money.