Quantcast

Can I lower my Rock Shox Totem Solo Air?

seppk

Chimp
Aug 3, 2009
I have a 180mm rock shox totem solo air fork and I would like to lower it to 160mm. Is this even possible? Any ideas would be appreciated.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yes. You just need a 20mm long spacer with an inner diameter of a little over 10mm, and an OD of 20-30mm or so. Rebuild the air spring assembly per the directions on RS's website, just put the spacer right below the top out bumper when you put it all back together.

seppk

Chimp
Aug 3, 2009
Ok thanks that will help a bunch, do you know where to get one of these spacers?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You probably have to make one. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, a cut down screwdrivier handle with a hole drilled in it would work. Or something else similar.

RS does make spacers for some of their other forks, but they only sort of work on the Totem. They're not a full cylinder, instead they're split so they snap on and off the shaft, but the result is that they can snap off when you don't want them to, and they'll bugger up your top out bumper.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Something with thicker walls would be better. But it could work in a pinch.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You'd need to either cut the spring down or preload the **** out of it, in addition to the spacer.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Dave, adding a spacer on top of the coil effectively IS preloading it.
Uh, no ****. Thing is, I never said anything about putting a spacer on top of the spring. If you want to lower your fork, you need to put a spacer on the spring shaft so that it tops out sooner. Then the spring will be sticking out the top of the crown when it's topped out, so you either need to just mash it in there, or cut it down.

Keep up. ;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Uh, no ****. Thing is, I never said anything about putting a spacer on top of the spring. If you want to lower your fork, you need to put a spacer on the spring shaft so that it tops out sooner. Then the spring will be sticking out the top of the crown when it's topped out, so you either need to just mash it in there, or cut it down.

Keep up. ;)
Sorry, I have no need for the modifications, so I was just skimming. I just showed up here to mess with you. :weee: