Quantcast

Can I ride a large downhill bike

BruceHuang

Chimp
Jul 28, 2013
Hello guys,

I am just getting into this sport and my girlfriend bought me a Giant Glory 2 as a gift for me. however, she has no idea about how to choose a bike for me, as a result, I got a large size bike. The unforunate thing is my brother took my gift for a ride for 3 days as I was away. So I cannot refund the bike. My question is can I ride a large bike just for trainning since I am only 5'8"?

Cheers

Bruce

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I think you'll be ok, but if you feel too stretched out, slap super short stem on there and you'll be all set!

BruceHuang

Chimp
Jul 28, 2013
I think you'll be ok, but if you feel too stretched out, slap super short stem on there and you'll be all set!
Thanks pal, I have cut the stem super short and moved the "handle bar"(if thats how it called, sorry about my English) a bit backward to me. Now I am comfortable riding the bike. I am just lil worried about how to manipulate my bike easier.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
not sure if higher rise bars will help as it raises stack.

As long as your shoulder is above the bars a higher stack will shorthen the cockpit feel as your arms become more vertically inline with the bars. Think of it as your arms being the difference between six o'clock and three o'clock, at which point are them the furthest to the right.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Ok I understand. I think it makes more difficult to push front end down unless you're riding steep mountain. Especially at 63 HA while cornering or such things.

OP might not have problem with such delicacies :) I might exaggerate and talking about fighting for every second ;)

Last edited: