Quantcast

Can I still run tubeless with a tire that blew off the rim?

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
I remember a thread about this not too long ago, but could not find the thread, but I have had ghetto tubeless for about a year now, never burped them or blew them off the rims, michelin dh 32's are the tires. just now, while the bike had been sitting in my house for about a week now, the rear tire blew off the rim, any ideas as to what could have caused this? and is the tire ok to use now or is it shot?

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
How old is the tire? Check out how beat the casing is in addition to just focusing on the bead.

I would be more concerned about a tire blowing off an 823 than ghetto.

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
tire is a year old with only a few rides, did not get to ride much last year, casing is perfect, bead seems to be compromised and can not be used after further inspection, it is now a folding tire.

now i have another question i am running mavic ex 325 rims, what tubeless tires work well, or what can i do ghetto tubeless with? also, i noticed that where the bead seems to have failed, there was a bit of a dent on the rim along with another spot, again the bead did not look that great there either. but neither of these dents is all that bad.

what is a sturdy and economical wheel set? that works well with tubeless, even ghetto? i would like to do hadley hubs and 729's or something of that nature, but can not really spend that type of money right now.

Ironjunk

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
I have heard many cases about mich 32's blowing off rims. It happend with my 07 32 and my 08 32. First was on a doublewide, second on an MTX, running 35 psi both front. I've never had that problem with any tire. I was using tubes, but still this is more people telling stories about this tire blowing it's sidewall. Both cases the bead wire stretched to where it separated.

I was at the us open and walked past a stretched sidewall tire sitting by someones car, it was a 32. Talked to the mich rep at the tent and he said he never heard anyone complain about them, im pretty sure he was lying, or just didn't know himself. Probably part of the reason they pulled their tire line.

Sweet tire, but i wouldn't trust it.

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
yea, the bead separated, did not come out of the casing, but seems to have broken and then pushed the sidewall/bead inward.