Quantcast

Can Kachess Ridge be shuttled???

spin

Chimp
Aug 4, 2004
Does anyone know if you can drive to the top or are there gates to deal with?

bighitguy

Chimp
Nov 18, 2004
renton
what's the ride down like? is it tight singletrack or is it wider trail that you can bomb down?

i've never been there and am just wondering what sort of obstacles and what not i can expect? i see on dirtworld.com it's rated masochist but i'd like to hear what experienced riders have to say about it?

Uruk-hai

Monkey
Oct 13, 2004
The 'Quah
If you shuttle it you will still have to hike-a-bike past this one section just after the beginning of the singletrack. Then it descends a little and flattens out through alpine meadows and such before it turns more downhill. Pretty much singletrack the whole way.

I rode it twice last summer, once with my hardtail and once with my 40+lb Bullit, climbing both times (no shuttle). I thought it was better on the hardtail. The Bullit was just too much bike for that trail as I currently have it built up.

And, although somewhat remote, hikers like that trail so I would be careful about bombing it. But that's just me and my opinion...

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
That road going up has to be one of the narrowest service roads I've ever shuttled on. Totally doable, but it sure seemed like we were going to roll off the side at times.:eek:

One steep hike-a-bike and then it's flat-to-downhill (mostly downhill). Nice tight singletrack with a few minor-techy sections. Lots of fun! We did a couple/few runs down the road at Ratpac and hit that trail up on the way back. That was a damned good day.

spin

Chimp
Aug 4, 2004
Thanks for the beta everyone. I have no problem with a good climb to get to the top , but isn't there a three mile stretch where you're climbing 700-800' per mile? Yuck!

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Hahaha - yeah, there's definitely some nasty pitches on the ascent. The road surface appears to be a little smoother than the road up Corral Pass, but 10 miles is 10 miles. That's more than a solid climb for even a road bike on smooth pavement.

What doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. I almost believe it.